15 Reasons JJ "Ruined & Destroyed" Star Trek

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by doubleohfive, Oct 9, 2012.

1. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Copy/pasting a set of screencaps someone made at the time that first appeared:

[​IMG]

The Onion News Network folks doctored it somewhat, but it's pretty clear from the icons down the left side, a few visible usernames, and other details what their source images were.

I remember some of the titles from that period (and some of the screeds which were posted beneath) - they really weren't exaggerating all that much. We had some angry, angry people then, as well as some who went just as far in the other direction.

Those were interesting times, those were. :lol:

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The actual principle involved here is that no text can survive a hostile reading. There are extraordinarily few successful films that can't be picked apart on the basis of logic and common sense, not to mention plausibility - if a critic chooses to do that out of dislike for the film.

"Casablanca" is a mess. That said, most people who've seen it don't seem to care for some odd reason.

3. Spock/Uhura Fan

Spock/Uhura Fan Captain Captain

Thanks for the info. Yes, those and others I'd assume.

Okay from this one I can tell with the top part that they are poking fun at Trekmovie, A Source For Some Things Trek. And I"m not trying to be mean with that; it's just true. Seriously, T'Bonz does better by herself than the whopping 16 people they have listed as staff contributors on their about page. It is what it is.

The forum part looks kind of like the bbs board style though, unless Trekmovie had a forum at one point.

EDIT: I didn't count the 3 global contributors and a few others, so its:

8 Editors
    8 Reviewers
    3 Contributors
    3 Global Contributors

Which makes 22 people on the written content staff. There are also 3 artists listed.

I don't want to take away credit where it is due.

I can only imagine.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And we can look fwd to those golden days all over again!

5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I signed up to TrekBBS when the very first picture of the new Enterprise was released. My first post was something like "I like it. I wonder what Matt Jefferies [the original Enterprise designer, who died in 2003] would have thought?" and somebody immediately replied something like, "He would have slit his wrists!"

It was a war zone.

6. teacake

HAHAHAHAHA

7. malchya

malchya Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I followed the link and had an overwhelming sense of "been there, done that." Really? Three years in and all you could do was rehash everything that has been beaten to death on this and every other Star Trek forum? Sigh.

Not, you'll please note, that I disagree with most of his complaints. They pretty much follow my issues with the film. The difference is that I enjoyed the bloody thing! I was at a point in my life where I just couldn't engender any enthusiasm for Trek. I actually thought I had put all of the technobabble nonsense out of my life for good. Enter J.J.

I loved the film. Despite the fact that I think it is the worst of all the Trek films saving IV. (I really, REALLY hate that one...but I still watch it). It had plot holes you could toss a galaxy through, design and aesthetic issues that make it look like their conceptual staff were all about 11 and the single most absurd location ever used for part of a star ship. I still came out pumped and excited, my enthusiasm for things Trek reborn with a new fervor. Thank you, J.J.

I can't explain this well. My daughter caught me watching '09 a couple of nights ago and asked me "Why? This movie sucks!" and I had to answer, "Yep. But I LOVE it anyway!"

8. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I presume you're talking about the brewery.

IIRC, one of the sets used for Kelvin actually had visible concrete walls. :rofl:

9. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is it really? Because to me it looked just like the engineering section from The Original Series, made much bigger and more complex.

[​IMG]

I remember in I think it was "Court Martial" or "The Enemy Within", where the engineering levels are described as a maze - but their search of that maze was limited to sneaking around the same two large tanks along one wall of their engine room set again and again.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Examples?

I'm intrigued. If you love things that suck, do you hate things that don't suck?

11. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

That's actually quite interesting.

12. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Thank you for the comparison. Every time someone complains about something in the movie not matching what we saw before it turns out that the same thing was actually present or had precedent in TOS or the movies.

13. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Of course, by this definition my grandparents' basement could pass as an Engine Room. :p

14. teacake

I thought it looked a lot more like a real engine room than anything we saw in TOS.

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I thought it looked cool. A deep, intricate and detailed set. :shrug:

16. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

Impressive...Most Impressive

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

By all means, post a comparative like the one KingDaniel posted, and we'll happily judge the legitimacy of that statement :p

18. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Heh, I would, but my mom and her sister got this crazy notion into their heads about selling my grandparents' house after they'd passed away some years back.

19. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

The author is absolutely correct about the entire fiasco from the moment Spock jettisoned Kirk to the moment Kirk and Scott beamed back. The entire Delta Vega side trip was shoehorned, badly written, and ill thought out for reasons I can't state better than the author.

I don't know about anything else, but I dropped about $10 bucks to see this and it was pretty mediocre to be sure. I'm not talking about ship lengths, ill placed lighting on the ship, breweries, or affairs. Just saying it wasn't much better than Speed II. And to nip this in the bud too - IMO all the TNG movies sucked too except Insurrection, which should have been a TV episode anyway.

I went to the theater to watch Trek '09, but with the new Trek movie, I'll probably go back to what I was doing from ST7 on -- waiting for it to come out on Netflix. Not terrible movies, just not really better than much else that's out there, and not even as good as a lot. I'll definitely be going to the theater for the Hobbit though.

I guess what I don't understand, and probably won't because it's all subjective opinion anyway --- why people think Trek '09 is great. It's okay. :D

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow, for ST7 that must have been a long wait.