Favourite Doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Green Lantern, Apr 4, 2013.

?

Favourite Doctor?

1. 1st Doctor-William Hartnel

3.0%
  2. 2nd Doctor-Patrick Troughton.

13.0%
  3. 3rd Doctor-Jon Pertwee

5.0%
  4. 4th Doctor-Tom Baker

21.0%
  5. 5th Doctor-Peter Davidson

2.0%
  6. 6th Doctor-Collin Baker

7.0%
  7. 7th Doctor-Sylvester McCoy

6.0%
  8. 8th Doctor-Paul McGann

2.0%
  9. 9th Doctor-Christopher Eccleston

8.0%
  10. 10th Doctor-David Tennant

21.0%
  11. 11th Doctor-Matt Smith

12.0%
  1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, the series has become too comedic lately. Especially Dinosaurs in a Spaceship, utterly stupid episode. Smith actually rode a dinosaur, that has got to be one of the worst moments in doctor who history ever.

Yeah that's another thing, Tennant and Eccleston were hugely affected with being the last timelord, who wouldn't if their entire race were wiped out. But Smith seems to have forgotten about it, not even mentioned it once to my memory.

yeah I agree, the new design is the best of the revival series. Not the biggest fan though, don't like the CGI parts and although I usually like everything dark, it's too dark in there, you can barley see anything.

2. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't relate to that at all. For me the show has always been like that, never afraid to embrace high concepts as well as silly fluff, and that's an important part of its charm.

3. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who wouldn't ride a dinosaur if given the chance? If I ever somehow get to ride a dinosaur, I'm leaping at the opportunity.

I'll just as likely be mauled by a dinosaur, too, even though I'm not so keen about that.

4. Green Lantern

Nothing's ever been that far fetched though until Moffat got in.

I'm surprised that under Moffat's reign, we doctor hasn't jumped on a dalek and rode it yet, or a squad of cybermen haven't danced to gangman style.

5. Green Lantern

Oh yeah I probably would, that's not the point though. The point is that's more unrealistic than a lot of things on the show. Yes it's a sci-fi with bog eyed monsters, but riding a dinosaur to me at least is so much more unrealistic.

I'll respect your opinion if you disagree (or at least I'll try. :p) but that's my opinion.

6. Psion

Did you miss the episode where the TARDIS towed the entire planet Earth across the universe?

7. Atticus

Atticus Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Or that the Doctor has flown round in a car called the Whomobile. Or flown through space with no suit on and propelled himself around with a cricket ball. Or battled a talking cactus. Or travelled with Bonnie Langford.

Oh wait...

8. Psion

I will agree with Green Lantern to the point that previous examples of nonsense don't excuse piling more nonsense on top of that. I just disagree that riding a dinosaur is necessarily nonsense.

The problem, now that I think about that episode a little more, is that there was little point to hopping on a triceratops to escape those bumbling robot pursuers. The beast was hardly any faster than running, difficult to get going, and no one had any believable reason to think it might cooperate in the first place. So the whole bit felt contrived.

9. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

In fact, the Doctor riding a dinosaur is not far-fetched at all. It doesn't require much suspension of disbelief. Here's a time-traveller, and he's riding a member of an extinct species. Like you would if you could travel through time. In a series which has featured vampires as tall as skyscrapers, it's really nothing out of the ordinary.

10. Green Lantern

As I said, some may disagree, some may agree.

The point is since the last few series, doctor who's gotten more childish.

11. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Well no. That's not quite accurate at all.

12. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Pffffffffffffffffftttttttttttttt

So, farting Aliens isn't childish?

13. Green Lantern

Apart from the Slitheen farting, Aliens of London/WWIII was one of the darker doctor who stories. And a personal favourite. Why do people here have so much hate for the Slitheen?

14. Atticus

My favourite fact about World War Three is that RTD was inspired to write it after watching the video to Girls Aloud's Jump.

15. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

And aside from the Doctor riding the dino, that episode was pretty dark too. Especially when you consider the bad guy (can't remember his name off hand) caused mass genocide aboard the ship all so he could get his hands on some rare species.

16. Green Lantern

Ok, you have a good point there, but as soon as some good dark bits were put into the story, the impact was washed away with childish timelords riding dinosaurs and the doctors "gang" which was completely irrelevant to the story.

Some may argue that Aliens in London/WWIII was childish, but at least it didn't have much if anything irrelevant in it like dinosaurs in a spaceship. Plus the name of the episode itself is awful. Howabout "genocide of the dinosaurs", or "the dinosaur dilemma". Even "The dinosaurs in space" is a much better title. But no, they had to go for the most childish title they could find.

17. Atticus

As a great man once said, "There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes."

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

My top 3 without a doubt:

1. Christopher Eccleston
    2. Tom Baker
    3. Jon Pertwee

No order:

Tennant: too hyper, talks too fast, couldn't understand him 1/3 of the time.
    Troughton: Seemed too unsure of himself for a timelord.
    Smith: Too bombastic? Still think he's odd looking.
    Davidson: Indifferent to him. Compared to Pertwee, a bit of a wuss.
    Colin Baker: Annoying
    McGann: YES! Liked his voice. He'd be #4 on my list.
    Sylvester McCoy: I liked how he had some mystery to his character which they unfortunately never fully explored.
    Hartnell: No, back to the drawing board.

19. Green Lantern

Tom Baker, "Robot" (1974)

Yes, but, but, boo hoo, I want to go home! :p

But seriously, it's ok to be a bit childish, but when it comes to naming an episode of one of the most famous sci-fi shows in history, you need to be at least moderately mature about it. Besides, it's ok to be a bit childish, but you can go too far.

20. Green Lantern

Tennant: I love that about him personally, that's what made him a great doctor. He was fun.
    Troughton: I liked him, I still think he might be the funniest doctor to date, especially when you compared him to Pertwee in the three doctors. Maybe he was a bit too unsure, but remember he was still quite a bit younger back then.
    Smith: I'm give or take on him. I like the fact he looks strange, all part of that alien look.
    Davison: Same here. I felt I've never seen him at his best though, his only really good story in my mind I've seen is Earthshock. I wouldn't really call the five doctors or the dalek one one of his greatest stories though.
    C. Baker: I only found his outfit annoying. But I think he was quite a good doctor. Could be annoying at times though.
    McGann: One of my faves too (my second to be precise). Just wish we saw him more.
    McCoy: Totally agree. I have a feeling he would have stayed on for five series if it was not cancelled, and by then we'd have fully explored him a bit more. Would have probably been in the role for the second longest.
    Hartnel: Agree!