DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Caitlin does look different but I just chalked that up as this is an older version and slightly drawn differently.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Aquaman #2: Deputy goes from door to door looking for Aquaman. Funny stuff. More good art and great writing.

Nightwing #1 and #2: I don't think this title is well written. Dick's internal dialog is too cocky and unreal. Batgirl not only does it better but rings true. The story is interesting though and I want to see where it goes.

Birds of Prey #1 and #2: Cute girls, not much else. I'm done. Or maybe not. I want to see what they do with Poison Ivy.

Justice league #2: Meh. Still gonna get issue #3 though. Wonder Woman shows up.

Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special: A one off issue featuring the Orange Lantern Larfleeze. I've been looking for this for a few weeks and I found it. Can't wait to sink my teeth into it.

[​IMG]

What I'm picking up today or tomorrow...

Birds of Prey #3 (may as well)
    Catwoman #3
    Justice League #3
    Nightwing #3
    Supergirl #3
    Wonder Woman #3

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  3. Admiral_Young

^ The Larfreeze Christmas special was absolutely fantastic. Geoff Johns did a wonderful job with that one.

4. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What is the actual Katana content of #2? Substantial? I mean, I don't care overmuch about Black Canary (no wig, no peace), let alone Agent Starling or Uma Thurman, but Katana is pretty cool.

5. Agent Richard07

It's substantial for a comic book. We see her both in and out of costume, and we learn about about her background, her state of mind and her sword through a bit of exposition. We also see her in action.

6. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha! I picked that up the second I saw it at Comixology!

I think I'm only getting Justice League and Wonder Woman today, but will probably pick up Aquaman #2 and maybe I, Vampire 2-3.

7. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, she's nowhere near as hot, at least in that single panel. She does look somewhat more realistically like a woman with hypertrophied muscles, but where's the fun in that?

I'm enjoying whatever the hell is going on between Red and Rose and the whole triangular thing...Superboy's internal narrative is sometimes obtuse and unlikely, though.

8. Admiral_Young

It really is going to be interesting when Clark finally encounters his clone. I wonder if they're going to play up the "Young Justice" relationship the two have with each other (or lack thereof of one)?

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Superboy is growing on me. I certainly didn't expect to be following this one or Supergirl with any real interest beyond initial curiosity.

10. Admiral_Young

^ Same. I'm not feeling Teen Titans though.

11. Agent Richard07

I didn't expect to be following Supergirl either and I gave up on Teen Titans. My favorites right now though are Batgirl and Aquaman.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Green Lantern is starting to pick up a bit, but it's still my least favorite of the ones I'm buying monthly. It used to be my favorite, period.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think they mixed a little of Rampage into Fairchild.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

She was back in shorts before the first issue hit the stands.

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Let's see what I've got this week: (In order of personal rating.)

Batman #3: Again, this is the lone Batman title I'm really enjoying. The other books have delved either too much into the darkness and grim or seemed to be pulling a bit much from the old continuity. The continuity stuff I can deal with, for the most part, but this book seems a lot more "fun" and paints Bruce Wayne as a more human character with Batman much more of a facade. The story line with this "Owl" group certainly seems intriguing as well. When push comes to shove and it's time to trim the fat from the comics I follow this book will probably be the one Batman title I'll continue with. The art is good, the dialogue is good, all in all it's been a good series of books.

Supergirl #3: Still fairly interesting, the more I read it the more ridiculous Kara's costume looks to me, but it's not been bad. It seems like it's finally getting into some-sort-of story and revealing some thing about the state of the world -at least in this book's version of DC Earth. The least of which being that, apparently, US's manned space program is completely defunct on the federal level and is now a private industry seemingly controlled by a trillionaire business mogul who has taken a keen interest in Kara. The art in this book has been mostly okay.

Catwoman #3: Still a pretty interesting book for my money. Doesn't yet seem to be a real story-line in it but Selena Kyle is still a fairly interesting character to follow. The art in this issue seemed to be a bit rougher than it was in the others but still decent and a lot less fan-service.

Wonder Woman #3: This book has yet to completely capture me. The story for the last three issues has been mostly fair but nothing really stellar. It does seem, finally, that WW is taking on whatever mantle she needs to in order to take us to a status quo and, hopefully, in the next issues we'll see her back in America kicking ass and taking names. The art for the most part in this book just wasn't very good. It looked less like art for a comic book and more like art done for story-boarding a movie scene or something. There were hints of great art but mostly in the panels showing off WW herself. The art and coloring overall in it wasn't great, mostly with the villains.

In Non-DC I also got "Ghostbusters #3" which I'm still pretty much enjoying and some developments in this issue show more of where the story is heading. The art is mediocre and there tends to be a lot of obscure "meta" stuff in it that doesn't fit with the "reality" of the book. This week it was the A-Team van passing the Ghostbusters on a bridge that also had a ghost sitting on one of the towers of the bridge that I suspect was a call-back/reference to the cartoon or toy-line though I didn't recognize it. But it didn't seem to be "really there." Stuff like this has happened in the previous issues too. Not a huge deal considering the nature of the book, just an oddity.

Something I noticed this week was that many of titles lacked a title splash page. Int he other books the last couple of months usually the third or fourth page was a beautifully drawn splash page showcasing the title of the story and the credits. This week it seemed like the title and credits were mixed among a more benign page, or in one case not until the end of the book along with the teaser for next month's issue. No big deal, really, just an oddity I noticed.

But, again, I cannot say enough how much I like "Batman" and think it's the best of the Bat's books that are available right now.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The Court of Owls in Batman reminds me too much of the Black Glove in Morrison's Batman due to the secret society angle and their past history with the Wayne family. I think I'm more interested in the Talon than the Court actually since he is very much like Batman shrouded in superstition and legend and poses a real physical challenge to Bruce.

19. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

They scrapped the pants because of a letter writing campaign from Wonder Woman fans and also because the pilot got scrapped.

20. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral