Pacific Rim - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sojourner, Jul 12, 2013.

?

How do you rate Pacific Rim?

1. A+

31 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. A

35 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. A-

15 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. B+

25 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  13. F+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. F

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  15. F-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

OMG I have an unreasonable amount of love for this movie!

It was just such fun. I can't remember the last time I had a goofy grin on my face for the entire running time of a movie!

Sure, the writing and characterization were "lacking", but the movie was done in the style of all the Godzilla and Harryhausen movies that I loved as a kid. And you can see the love del Toro has for those movies in every frame of this one.

It was awesome watching a little boy walking out with his dad after the movie He was waving his arms around, acting out a specific scene (already described in spoiler tags in this thread), and hopping up and down in his excitement. His Dad was watching him with a happy grin, nodding vigorously.

So. Much. Fun.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNwECmiJNFw[/yt]

That ship did look kind of small. And yeah, that chain sword that came out of the arm was pretty cool.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

What a shame, no one is going to see it, and it's the best summer movie in years.

RAMA

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hopefully word of mouth will kick in and give it new life.

6. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess they marketed the movie wrong. I have no desire to see the movie myself. The trailers alone just smelled of "battleship" type lame movie.

Word of mouth - even on the good "fanwank" reviews -- movie too long, plot holes, etc.

So why bother.

Grown ups 2 sucks as well... looks like a weekend to skip the movies.

Despicable Me 2 was funny at least.

-Chris

7. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed this film. The story wasn't the most original and the humor was mostly flat for me, however the film delivered on the promise of giant robots versus giant monsters. This is the film Transformers should've been IMO.

Mild spoilers below...

In an earlier post someone felt that the kaiju looked too similar, but I thought that was something of an explanation for that in the film. I did like how the film gave something of a reason for why the kaiju were invading Earth. It sets him a potential sequel. Hopefully the film will make enough to warrant one.

8. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

It is a shame that people aren't going to see it. I think it's a bigger shame that people are going to see Grown Ups 2, though.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I gave it an A, cause there was just buttloads of awesome in this movie. This is the live action movie for everybody who's ever actually liked a giant robo anime...this was the live-action giant robo anime!!!

Those of you who hate anime won't understand or care.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I understood the reasoning they gave, but I still think there was room in that explanation for more variety in design than we got.

Besides, it's the kind of movie where you kinda expect them to break a few rules for the sake of having something really cool on screen.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It appears that's not what people want. This one looks to finish behind both Sandler's movie and the second week of Despicable Me 2.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

What a shame.

13. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

^^^It's not too depressing for me. I really liked Despicable Me 2.

However, even if no one even considers a sequel for this movie, I'm extremely happy to have gotten even one like it.

14. I think the marketing for this movie was terrible. Only geeks who got excited about the very concept of "mechs" fighting monsters and knew about the director, had any enthusiasm. I got absolutely no vibe or buzz from this from the non-geek casual audience. Watching the trailers, I see nothing that distinguishes this from Battleship or any other generic action flop, it comes across as a movie trying to cash in on Transformers with giant robots. It needed either better marketing/trailers, or a big name actor.

15. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    It's a sad state of affairs when Adam fucking Sandler and "Grown Ups 2" beats this film.

16. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    I have no love for animé(hate is too strong a word), yet I LOVED PR, so your point is kind of nullified.

17. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Seriously?

Battleship was a movie about destroyers fighting giant alien robots, a scenario that had jack shit to do with the game it was supposed to be based on. This was a giant battlesuit fighting giant monster movie, following in a grand tradition of similar classic movies and animations.

A flop, sure, but hardly generic. Like you said, this film was always going to appeal only to a very small segment of the audience, and that small segment appreciated it.

Battleship was just badly written shit. That's the difference.
    Or, you're the exception to the rule. I'll wait for more responses that are similar before I abandon my hypothesis.

18. A difference that's completely invisible when you just watch the trailers and other marketing material. Which is what I'm talking about.

I'm not talking about the actual quality of either film. I'm talking what the trailers and marketing project.

"Battleship was a movie about destroyers fighting giant alien robots, a scenario that had jack shit to do with the game it was supposed to be based on. This was a giant battlesuit fighting giant monster movie, following in a grand tradition of similar classic movies and animations."

To the casual audience, they're both generic-looking action movies about giant robots, which feel like "we're trying to be like Transformers".

(this is the part where someone jumps in to point out that they're not actually sentient robots in Pacific Rim and that humans are controlling them and that the robots in Battleship are aliens, and WHOOSH you just totally missed the point that these distinctions don't mean anything really to the non-geek audience when they're choosing what movie to see)

19. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Fair enough, but what do you expect the studio to do about that? Having big names didn't actually help Battleship, did it? Neither did what marketing it got. Using that as an example, your only hope is to attract people who like to see big mechanical things stomping down the street (and Transformers' detractors always seem to forget that, drek storytelling or no, all three of those freaking movies made ridiculous bank).

Big names don't help. Broad marketing won't help. Giant robots make bajillions. You're the guy that has to promote PR. How the hell else would you do it?

20. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

I am not really familiar with any anime. Other than "Spirited Away" (which I loved), I have no knowledge of it.

My love for this movies stems from the Ray Harryhausen and Godzilla movies that I loved as a child.

One more exception I guess!