La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'd appreciate it if someone could compile a list of all the cues here that weren't used onscreen. I hadn't realized there were unused cues in "The Man Trap."

2. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For Man Trap, there were portions of cues unused. In "Conference," all but the last few seconds as Kirk runs to the "dispensery." Also, "Lazer Dazer" the the music is dialed out as Kirk does his crawl through the sand. There are some more in there that popped up in later episodes, IIRC. Like when Crater runs off and Kirk, mcCoy look for him. A lot of that was dialed out, but I remember hearing the opening of that cue in A Taste of Armageddon and even later in Gamesters of Triskelion when Kirk gets his plan to wager for his freedom.

I'd have to go through the whole set again top compile something detailed, but Catspaw had some fly by cues dropped, probably because they sounded too much like the approach of covered wagons. The finale cue was probably too upbeat as well.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2012
  3. Christopher

Yeah, I noticed the new cues in "Catspaw." They're hard to miss.

4. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

It's interesting to discover that music I've always associated with one episode was actually written for an entirely different episode.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Part of what floors me about this collection is while it all sounds consistent with each other it also covers so much range in style and sensibilities and mood. It's incredible. This really is a treasure trove and gold mine in terms of television series music. And it really is the an integral part of the soul that made Star Trek come alive for us.

I do have one quibble about this set and it has nothing to do with the music or collection. I find the case holder for the discs to be awkward and rather flimsy. You feel like you have to handle it with care or it could fall apart on you (one tray is in the Season 2 case did just that, but I managed to get it back into place). The CDs don't seem to fit snugly either and so far I've found two discs rattling loose inside. Fortunately there appears to be no damage and they play just fine.

...Listening to the first disc of Season 2 I gotta say I much prefer the earlier orchestral version of the main title theme rather than the later version with the enhanced vocals.

6. Christopher

I don't find the frames flimsy. On the contrary, I find them too hard to get the discs out of. I'm always afraid I'll break the disc if I'm not really careful. I wish someone would redesign those things so that there's some kind of easy release button or lever or something, so that it holds the disc firmly but lets go easily when you push the right bit.

7. Esteban

Esteban Commander Red Shirt

It gets to my only real complaint about the whole thing. Why a CD box set? How 20th century. Why not make it all available as a download? Why am I ripping these stupid CDs as we speak?

I'm smiling, folks. Trust me, I really appreciate the work and effort. Still, let's face it, this is stone knives and bearskins.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's a generational thing. A CD set is something I can hold in my hand and feel I have something tangible for the money spent. A download is just there and doesn't really feel like anything special.

I actually do understand your point, but I might have really paused over paying more than two hundred bucks just for a download. This is something they might have considered, how a lot of people might have responded to it being offered as just a download. Mind you if it had been offered as just a download than the price would certainly have had to reflect that since you wouldn't have had to pay for the manufacturing, recording and packaging of the whole thing.

9. Christopher

How would you get the notes and the artwork?

10. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not that I want this in anything other than physical media, but all of that stuff can be put into a file and downloaded. The TNG Ron Jones box had minimal physical notes. All the detailed notes were available on line.

11. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Plus, you can always make MP3s or whatever the hell they're using now for online music. I have my favorite record albums and CDs online now - so I have a "master copy" and online ones. Redundancy is good.

12. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think the price would be all that different, as the bulk of the costs are tied to licensing and AFM Reuse Fees etc., very little in the actual packaging (CD manufacturing can be surprisingly cheap).

I also feel that I want something physical and tangible, and that's true for most of the film/TV score market as far as I can tell.

I want to look at it. Show it to a friend. Get it signed (which I was lucky enough to be able to do). Read the liner notes on paper without going on the web or opening it up on a device. Display it on my Star Trek "shrine" shelf, along with a Tribble, a Tricorder and other things.

Downloads do not allow for any of that.

13. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I prefer having the discs, with the books.

-Chris

14. Christopher

It's the same with books. A lot of people assume that e-books should be much cheaper than physical books because they don't have the same printing and shipping costs, but actually, if a book is published in large quantities, economies of scale mean that printing and shipping cost merely pennies per book. Most of what's being paid for is the work of the writer, editor, copyeditors, typsetters, cover designer and artist, marketing and publicity people, and so forth, which is the same regardless of the end format.

In this case, what we're paying for is not only the fees you mentioned, but the composer and performer royalties, along with the months of hard work that Indysolo and his colleagues put into compiling and remastering this huge amount of music, researching and writing the notes, designing and creating the artwork, getting photo clearances, etc. The value is in the content and the labor that went into creating it, not in the physical substrate that holds it.

15. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The publisher gets a bigger cut of list price on ebooks than on print books - 70% versus ~50%. So while the costs per unit may be the same, they're still making a larger profit on each sale.

Obviously that's not the case here - they'd get less on a download than on the CDs, unless La La Land started doing their own digital sales. :)

16. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

I've got nothing against downloads per se, - but for the sheer amount of music we are talking about for this album and the cost involved, I want a hard copy backup that can't be lost as long as I take care of the discs.

17. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm all about the digital, but for this I want the box. Mine!

18. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

This. But, also, the fact that the set is magnificently designed and a treasure to behold on my shelf makes it all the more worthwhile.

19. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too bad they didn't sell it in a special case like a Shuttlecraft shaped case or something from the show.

I really have been enjoying listening to this set. I have wanted something like this since the Star Wars anthology was released. The original release of that set came with a really nice book that John Williams contributed to. Sort of like the mini books we got with the Trek set.

I have also been enjoying the movie sets that have been released. Its great having the proper cues from Star Trek 2 and 3. Always loved Stealing the Enterprise, Battle of the Mutara Nebula, and the self destruct cues.

-Chris

20. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh thank heavens, no. The box is perfect. I MIGHT have asked for slimline cases of each CD, but I'm not sure what that would look like. I'll go for elegant rather than cute.

That was a lovely set and the first time I'd ever heard of Lukas Kedall. Still one of my favorites. I was thrilled at the 2 CD sets that came out for Star Wars in 1997 but they didn't hold a candle in terms of sheer "I can't believe this is happening" to that four CD set. Kind of like how I feel about the TOS box.

BTW, Williams didn't contribute, they took his comments from the original LP liner notes.