Your favourite Batman...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Warped9, Jul 28, 2012.

?

Your favourite Batman...

1. Batman (1943 serial)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Batman and Robin (1949 serial)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Batman TV series (1966)

9 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Batman (1966)

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  5. Batman (1989)

16 vote(s)
    19.8%
  6. Batman Returns (1992)

3 vote(s)
    3.7%
  7. Batman Forever (1995)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Batman & Robin (1997)

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  9. Batman Begins (2005)

16 vote(s)
    19.8%
  10. The Dark Knight (2008)

25 vote(s)
    30.9%
  11. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  1. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That scene always stood out for me because of how real it felt, even though it would be virtually impossible to execute the same kind of action in the real world. Bruce's arm would have been completely dislocated by the weight of Ras's body and there would be no way to pull Ras back up again.

Before 'The Dark Knight Rises,' I'd have said that my Batman was Bruce Timm's art and Kevin Conroy's voice. But Batman TAS never made me cry. I never felt stirrings of real emotion for Bruce Wayne or any of the characters of TAS but I'll be damned if Alfred didn't make me weep like a baby on more than one occasion during TDKR. It's like comparing Deep Space Nine with Battlestar Galactica. Both featured deadly consequences and a high-stakes conflict but I never believed for a second that anyone on that space station was a person, actual and whole. I cried for Gaius fucking Baltar on Battlestar. I wept for Tigh. Adama ripped my heart out and stomped on it when Starbuck died.

Nolan's Batman felt real to me. The people who inhabited his world made me care about the ridiculous and outlandish stakes. They made me forget about impossible microwave emitters and magic fusion reactor-bombs. They drew me in and got me to feel for them, root for them and weep for them. That's something I doubt will happen again with Batman.

So my favourite would be the entirety of Nolan's Batman series but if I were forced to chose, I'd chose 'The Dark Knight Rises.'

2. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I know that there are more serious things out there than the Nolan movies. I just like to have my superhero movies have a little fun in them and the Nolan Batman movies, while very good, have been a bit joyless.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

A lot of it already is goofy, in a way. There's a lot of social satire, pointed deconstruction, and things taken to intentionally ludicrous extremes, like the media and the ridiculous-looking gang members. It's absurdist in its own way.

4. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I understand - that's why I wanted to point out I had somewhat misrepresented his opinion because I jumped to his comparison of Burton's Batman and the recent Batman of the comics.

Seriously? I thought Moby Dick was a fantastic adventure/ melodrama and Meville wrote it because his last few books had tanked, so he was trying to get back to the kind of adventure tale that had established his reputation. I know some people didn't like having to read it in Lit class but I don't think that goes much to whether or not you can read it beyond the symbolic.

5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Batman Begins
    Batman (1989)
    The Dark Knight
    Batman Returns
    Batman (1943)
    Batman (1966)
    Batman & Robin (1949)
    Batman Forever
    Batman & Robin (1997)

I've seen The Dark Knight Rises. I'm not going to say where I rank it. Sorry. Here's a hint though: it's not my #1. The more I think about it, the less I like it. Bruce Wayne is my least favorite part of the film. More power to the people who enjoyed the film, I'm glad you did, but it's a fatal flaw for my own viewing experience. I'd rather see more Tim Jason Grayson... I mean, John Blake. He's the one who carried the movie.