Digital comics are they worth it ? disscussion and comments:

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Jul 27, 2011.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well that number is spread out over dozens of series from dozens of different publishers. Besides, when it comes to something like this it only makes sense to me to focus on the most recent stuff, and then slowly add a few older issues here and there when you get ahold of them. As for people complaining about the price, I don't see where between $0.99 and $4.99 is that horrible. I mean sure it might be more than you payed for some of them when they first came out, but there is a little thing called inflation. As long as the regular price is the same or less than the cover price of a new issue, I'm happy. Hell, I'd probably still be willing to buy them if they charged a little more than cover price, simply due to the convenience of of the digital format.

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be clear on the price thing, I have no issue with a comic that just came out costing $3. $4 is a bridge too far for 20-24 pages of story, but let's assume I have no problem with that, either.

I'm talking about old stuff. It's not an inflation issue*, it's the idea that as works recede into history, the price you can expect to demand for them decreases. This is very clear in film: a few months back, I bought a two-for-one DVD of the Bill and Ted movies for $5, because they are twenty years old and in the flat part of their long tail. It's difficult to reconcile three hours of classic cinema (oh, you know it) with a $1 price tag on an issue of Action Comics #252 (I know, I always use this example), which has only sixteen pages of Superman family related content because at the time Action was an anthology.**

It's even more difficult to reconcile that with $1 price point for comics that aren't even historically important.

This argument doesn't have as much force in a printed format, because of the heavy fixed costs, but in an electronic format?

*And surely you don't propose that comics' prices have been pegged to the consumer price index. Twenty years ago, comics cost $1.50. If we go cents/page, 1991 prices are even lower. But in any event we have not experienced 100% inflation since 1991.
    **Of course, it's a little hard to reconcile buying a brand-new two disc Blu-ray of, say, Inception for $15 for the same price as five comic books that will take about half as long to read, but that's a different argument, really, and has more to do with the vicious cycle of comics-as-a-niche-interest.

3. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

One thing about the digital downloads, is that although there is no printing costs associated with the product, neither are there advertisements. I agree that I would very much like to see a different price structure. I would love to see a subscription price for the back catalogue for example.

4. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

give em time this still new. I am thinking of reading fables since once upon a time will be airing soon. and they have all current issues aviable.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ You should. I read the first arc a couples months ago and I loved it. I just wish they had the graphic novel 1001 Nights of Snowfall available digitally.
    If you like the series there is also a straight prose novel, Peter and Max, which is available for the Nook.

6. timothy

very cool thanks I'll look into it.

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not exactly sure where in the comics the novel takes place, but from what I skimmed you do not want to read it until after you've read the first arc. The first few pages give away a pretty big spoiler for the first arc.

8. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you would be better off buying the trades--this series hardly has a weak point in of the stories for the first hundred issues.

9. timothy

I'll look into the graphic's when I go to the comic shop next week. do you happen to know when once upon a time is sopposed to start?

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sunday Oct. 23 at 8:00om Easter/Pacific time. Now, you do know that there is no connection between the series other than a similar basic premise?

11. timothy

no once upon a time is the first I've heard of as fabels. I don't know much of this universe.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's not the same universe, there is no connection between them.

13. timothy

okay cool thanks.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^They actually did start work on a Fables TV series a few years back, but it fell apart.

15. timothy

did'nt know that what was it called?

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fables, I guess. It never made it past the scripting phase according to wikipedia.

17. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Iirc, Vaughn threw some pretty serious accusations about them basically stealing his property and filing the serial numbers off, too.

Edit: oh, "Vaughan." Like the constructor fleet in Hitchhiker's, I guess.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I read my first digital comic today-- The X-Men: First Class prequel comic that came with the Blu-Ray. The format is... interesting, although I still prefer paper comics by far.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot the mention that Comixology did a big Batman 101 sale last week and added a whole ton of new comics, including A Death in the Family, No Man's Land, and a ton of others I can't think of at the moment.

20. timothy

• star Wars Jedi: The Dark Side # 5
    • Star Wars Invasion: Revelation # 3
    • Star Wars Kinght Errant: Delluge # 2
    • Star Wars Knights Of The Old Repulic # 17 & # 18
    These are Star Wars digital comics out the this week.