Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

They didn't change the theme song. Nice. Makes the English dub that much easier. Again. :D

2. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

I think Americans can bear the thought of a Yamato instead of a Argo saving the Earth.

3. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Indeed. Its a long-time anime meme that the girlier an opponent, the more powerful they are.

And if they start throwing cherry/rose petals around, run! :)

Yeah, thats still my all-time favortie Yamato vid, and the one that got me thinking "Damn, Yamato would make an epic cgi series".

Nice. Though I wish the new version was just a little more energetic.
    And man, whoever ripped the original opening sped it up just a bit too much.

And about time too. Thanks for the link!

And thank goodness the doc isn't quite as much of a mole man anymore. :)

4. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

5. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd cross the street to avoid the original just by looks alone. The other I might cross the street to talk to until I realized it's a dude and quickly walk away.

6. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

he would have shot you and laughed maniacally over your still smoking corpse before you ever had the chance to walk away.

7. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

:lol:

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

You forgot to add the part where he runs his hand through his hair and then.mine...

9. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, they really are trying to duplicate the original. They're even retaining the skin coloring mistake from the early Gamilus characters.

http://www.yamato2199.net/character.html

Totally wrong. He would have ordered one of his Generals to come up with a silly and overly complicated plan to eliminate him. :)

Probably involving a fleet of ships, mirrors, and a giant space amoeba.

10. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, that's honestly one decision I do not agree with.

11. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

From what I understand it was a direct choice in order to convey the size of the Gamilon Empire.

These are some officers from a previously conquored race that now serve the Greater Gamilon Star Empire. Sort of like having Gauls serving in the Roman Army during the times of Imperial Rome.
    Citizenship via loyal military service.

12. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

When Star Blazers came out, we still had many WWII vets and Pearl Harbor survivors. Now, most of them are going or gone. So I understand the choice made. But now, the original name may be used.

13. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

The theme song sound like some Russian sailor song.

14. Lynn Minmay

Lynn Minmay Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

15. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

First video 7 secons. It looks like an experimental german fighter. Any idea on which one might be based?

16. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

My guess would be a Horten HO or Gotha GO 229.

17. Ithekro

Yeah likely the Gotha. The originals from 1974 were more based on the American Flying Wing that was much more well known at the time.

I will say that the episode 3 preview with Kirishima and Yamato together is quite a nice touch. In the original, after the old Earth Flagship lands at the middle of the first episode we never see it in space again (aside from the usual flashback to the Battle of Pluto). There is also a lot not in that preview. They show the ship starting to Warp from Mars to Jupiter, but not much else around that event...and I'm positive there is some interesting stuff going on come episode 3.

But that, episodes 4, 5, and 6 will be released together June 30th in the theaters. Then the BD come out July 27th...were most of us may be able to see them.

From the translators notes it seems these ships now have shields. Or at least some form of barrier that protects the hull for a short time before anything even gets to the armor. Also the notes say the Cosmo Zero, as a squadron leader fighter, has a barrier system to help defend the rest of its squadron mates.

Notes place Yamato's fighter strength at 2 Cosmo Zeros and 36 Comso Falcons (the new name for the Black Tigers...because today in Japan, "Black Tiger" is a type of shrimp, and the "Falcon" was the Imperial Army's fighter compared to the Imperial Navy's "Zero"), plus a small number of other craft.

Yamato has more or less the same weapons she had before, though they have added a set of missile launchers on her underside (a long unprotected side of the ship). That and she is a little bigger than before at 333 meters long (which was reportedly what she was scaled to in 1974, but reconned to be 265 meters to match the IJN Battleship Yamato's length in the 1977 film version of the story). Also means her guns are bigger...the main guns are 48 cm (roughly 19 inch guns) while the secondaries are 20 cm (8 inch guns). The Wave Motion Gun is 200 cm wide...though it looks more than two meters wide to me. Maybe that's just the round part in the middle and not the opening in the hull.

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  18. Lynn Minmay

19. Ithekro

:drool:

Do want.

A lot going on there in just a preview of four episodes.

20. Lynn Minmay