death penalty

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Faria, May 26, 2013.

1. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, but you can't decide for me what is ethically right.

However, all I'm doing is breaking the components down between ethics and pragmatism.

For me, it is ethically OK to execute someone who is guilty of a heinous crime and has gotten a full and fair due process of the low.

However, it's the pragmatic problems with implementing it in our justice system that dissuade me from its use. I mentioned some of them, but, a huge one is the possibility of an innocent person being convicted.

So, I'm against the death penalty, but not because I think it's unethical to execute someone who truly is guilty of a heinous crime.

Mr Awe

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

What a daft thing to say. Firstly legal ethics are not a personal choice they are a societal norm. Secondly the choice not to execute because there is a chance the victim is innocent is an ethical decision.

3. Mr Awe

^^ Well, that's rude!

And, no, for me, no executing because of the chance of a making a mistake is pragmatic. Yes, it's also wrong.

But, if I could be positive someone was guilty of a heinous crime, it's ethically fine to execute them in my book.

And, you're wrong, ethics are personal. What you think is right and wrong may not be the same as my beliefs.

Mr Awe

4. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

You're speaking of morals, not ethics. For example, abortion is legal and therefore medically ethical, although many people find it personally immoral.

5. Mr Awe

Below is the definition of ethic from Merriam-Webster. Note the use of the term "morals" in the definion. Also, show me where it says it's exclusive to a society rather than an individual. In fact, definition 2b specifically states "the principles of conduct governing an individual or a group".

Definition of ETHIC

plural but sing or plural in constr: the discipline dealing with what is good and bad and with moral duty and obligation

a: a set of moral principles : a theory or system of moral values <the present-day materialistic ethic> <an old-fashioned work ethic> —often used in plural but singular or plural in construction <an elaborate ethics> <Christian ethics>
    bplural but sing or plural in constr: the principles of conduct governing an individual or a group <professional ethics>
    c: a guiding philosophy
    d: a consciousness of moral importance <forge a conservation ethic>

plural: a set of moral issues or aspects (as rightness) <debated the ethics of human cloning>

6. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

But there are circumstances where abortion is both immoral and unethical, so it's fair to question whether it should be legal in all possible circumstances. There are individuals who would use it in a form that could be considered murder, and yet that wouldn't prove all medical professionals who would use it responsibly are murderers (though some would claim that's the case). I think there are a lot of valid arguments against the death penalty that have been mentioned here, but I'm not inclined to believe the state only uses it to murder people in the majority of the cases. I think that may be the unfortunate truth in some (and there should be accountability in such) and in others it was a matter of the system failing in some step in the process (the redeeming evidence arrived too late, for example). The burden is on the state to ensure that innocent people are not executed, just as it has the burden of ensuring the same for troops and civilians in war. It can't bring back troops or civilians who die, and it's not likely to want to repay the resource debts which the citizens may feel it owes to them.

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

This is one source (by no means the only one) that draws a distinction between morals and ethics. Make of it what you will.

In any case, no big deal. To-may-to, to-mah-to.