Abrams wanted to blow up more than Romulus

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by brian577, Mar 7, 2013.

1. brian577

brian577 Captain Captain

2. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

That's a 4-hour podcast. Care to cut to the chase with what he wanted to blow up?

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thread is mostly technobabble about the game, and makes no mention of Abrams.

I'm not sure if that's a shame or not. The books have been great these past few years, but from what I've heard the game is shite. I guess the lack of oversight and therefore the increased freedom given the book authors is a good thing. It's certainly led to some huge developments in the Trekverse recently.

4. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

STO isn't "shite" but it should be a lot better. I agree that ideally the books should have priority over videogames and movies though.

I'm kinda irritated Abrams settled on Romulus as the planet to be destroyed in the Prime universe as it was probably the most interesting society he could have removed. I'd rather he blew up Betazed.

5. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

What's interesting about Romulus? It always struck me as a fairly underdeveloped and unimaginative science-fiction version of the Roman empire.

6. F. King Daniel

Romulus is pretty flat in the TV shows and movies, but in the novels their history and society have been fully fleshed out - starting with The Romulan Way in 1987. It's fitting that it'll be the novels that explore the aftermath of it's destruction.

7. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I don't mind Romulus being destroyed...I'm really looking forward to the exploration of it in the novels. Just watch them take it and run with it. S'gonna be great. :)

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Destroying Romulus does serve XI's story more than destroying Betazed would have.

9. DalekJim

Yeah, it gave us Eric Bana's seminal portrayal of Nero.

"FIRE EVERYTHING!"

Worst villain in Star Trek history.

10. The Wormhole

My point is, the story of Romulan miners thrown back in time and lashing out against the Federation in vengeance makes more sense if Romulus were destroyed than it would have if Betazed were.

11. DalekJim

I maintain it makes zero sense that Nero plots to destroy Earth and the Federation because the friendly Vulcan that went out of his way to help Romulus arrived a bit too late.

Just another bland Khan clone. Hopefully Cumberbatch is a better Khan clone. He definitely seems to be giving a much better performance than whatever Bana was doing last time.

12. The Wormhole

Well, yes, Nero's a terrible villain, that's not in dispute. I just don't see how thing would be improved if Betazed were destroyed as opposed to Romulus.

13. DalekJim

Well, I was taking the piss mainly. Obviously there's gonna be zero drama out of destroying Betazed whatsoever as nobody gives a fuck about Troi and Lwaxana.

Still iritated Abrams destroyed Romulus though before the inevitable unification with Vulcan could take place. Especially as he then destroyed Vulcan in the Jar Jar timeline so now we can't get unification in either universe. Ideally I'd have had the next Trek movie (Or preferably, a new TV show!) set a century or two after TNG and have had the Romulans be friendlier ala the Klingons in TNG/DS9.

14. The Wormhole

Eh, I always assumed Romulus was screwed over anyway. Even before it got destroyed in XI I always figured what we saw in AGT (Romulus getting conquered by the Klingons) would come to pass.

15. F. King Daniel

Wheras I say it's more than plausible that, after 200+ years of Romulan/Federation hostility, Nero would conclude that Spock deliberately waited until after Romulus was destroyed to stop the supernova.

16. DalekJim

Seems like a pretty huge leap. Especially considering Spock's duties on Romulus.

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Sidestepping any arguments about the interesting/non-interesting aspects of Romulus, what does that matter anyway? Romulus is still around in the nuUniverse, and can still be focused upon in whatever happens in this universe in the future (and quite frankly I'd rather see a 23rd century nuRomulus than a 24th century Prime universe Romulus anyway).

And Betazed? Really?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And looking at STO's backstory and its resemblance to the backstory of the All Good Things future they seem to be operating from that assumption as well seeing

Yep, when you think about it the federation gets to survive and one of their major rivals is taken out. I can see where one can be suspicious of that coincidence.

19. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

How about basing a plot on something other than a planet being destroyed? It's too Death-Star-ish.

20. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In STO, there's a little fyi fact shown during load time that says Picard and Spock went to the Vulcan High Command (whatever its called) and asked for help in assisting Romulus. They were rebuffed. This delay probably did in Romulus.

I have no idea if this is fleshed out in STO. If so, I haven't got there yet.