How is Janeway sexy?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by F. King Daniel, Dec 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

"Oh Valeris DO be a dear and fetch me another Gin Rickey!"

2. Dancing Doctor

Dancing Doctor Admiral Admiral

It looks like she's been seeing quite a bit of Mr. Rickey already...

3. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

I think this was the best part of Night next to the scene where she basically tells Chakotay to **** off. [​IMG]

4. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

^^What this image fails to show is the part of the nightgown scene that shows her in profile...and demonstrates that she has more hair than anything worth covering with a nightie.

[​IMG]

^^This one misses the part that shows the red part of this outfit flares out into an wide-hemmed skirt-designed to cover up the singular lack of definition (or anything interesting) contained by the leggings beneath it.
    [​IMG]

Please. Do you go out of your way to cover up your surfboard like this? It's essentially the same thing.

Kathryn Janeway was a skinny crone.

5. T.D. Possum

T.D. Possum Commodore Commodore

WTF, Lt. Munro?!?!?!?!

May I please request that you do something with the bit where you push the red alert button and then Chak and Janeway yell at you?

Do something. Something Frooty and funny. Maybe a mini-vid. 'Cause I can't think of anything for it - but it has such potential.

6. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    LOL, AMG. Which mission is that?! I was just messing around with the console commands last night - I don't think I've plowed through the single player since the game came out in 2000. :lol:

You're funnier than I am... although doing some sort of video did cross my mind! There is certainly potential there, hee hee. I was finding great amusement in vaporizing the bridge officers in the middle of issuing their orders. Also, if you spawn in The Doctor, you can't shoot him, the holographic bastard.

Proof positive
    that if you're not some fanboy's masturbatory fantasy, you're worthless as a woman in the entertainment world (or anything else for that matter.) :lol: That's why they have to give all the powerful ladies in comics and sci-fi big boobs. Those big guns have to be tempered with a big rack and collagen lips or the boys get scared. I think it took some real stones for the producers to cast an older lady (also true for Bujold) with a fairly straight-up-and-down figure and dress her in a standard Starfleet jumpsuit and pray for audience acceptance.

And God forbid they're over a certain age AND have size A boobs. Then they're just mother figures, right?

Funny how you never hear similar complaints about The Doctor, and he's a skinny older balding fellow who looks like, in Picardo's own words, "a shoe salesman." (But what a wonderful shoe salesman he is :))

I wonder if we'd hear all this whining about Janeway if she was played by Jeri Ryan, but written exactly the same way.

7. Sybok

Sybok Lieutenant Red Shirt

+1000

i always viewed janeway as a superior-teacher-mother-mentor-bitchyboss figure..... and having sex with her would make me have emotional issues, feel morally dirty.... but at the same time it would be really fethishly kinky and extremely exhilarating

8. henbane

henbane Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well said froot!

and Heaven forbid that Kate Mulgrew actually got the Janeway role because she was good at it - and not because she was a barbie doll look-alike.

The comparison with The Doctor is one the threatened little fanboi's "forget" about - and in some ways, the same could be said for Picard (sorry, but I don't find Patrick Stewart attractive). Sisko, on the other hand.......yum!

However, looking for a piece of eye candy wasn't the reason I watched any Star Trek series. I'm sorry, but I'm not that shallow.

9. T.D. Possum

I actually just played it the other week. :lol: After having given up on the Sims 3, I busted out my old TS2 Star Trek Sims and got to thinking maybe I could figure out how to extract some of the objects from Elite force, which, of course, meant I needed to spend four evenings shooting Klingons and stuff. (I did use cheats for the final boss, though.) And also led to me concluding I'll probably just have to mesh the TS2 objects myself. If I maintain interest in the project that long. Which is not a certainty.

Anyhoo. What was I saying? Oh, yes. The red alert thing is not on a mission; it's in the explore the ship bit that came in the expansion pack. So maybe you have to have completed the base game mission to do it. Actually, I have no idea if that's true. Anyway, just go up to the bridge, and right there on the rail behind Chak's chair is a big console - hit that and you'll attempt to sound red alert. Do it twice for the full effect.

You can do that while you're working on that from the ceiling view of the command deck. ;)

10. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

Interestingly enough, I'm pretty sure that the only reason the character of Seven of Nine was conceived of and introduced was to attract male teenagers to the show.

OT, Janeway: still sexy. Its not about her bust size, its about her air of authority, taking charge and have a no-nonsense attitude. Oh, and her voice.

11. henbane

henbane Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agree with you about Seven of Nine - but I'm a heterosexual female so Seven never "did it for me" LOL Having said that and despite her "attributes", I think Seven became a great character in the series.

12. teacake

Ha! You can read so much into that picture.. Janeway is always in command.

13. HoneyBLilly

HoneyBLilly Commodore Commodore

Lol! If you just know Janeway's commanding nature and don't know what episode that's from an the situation behind it, this is what it would look like:

Janeway just showed Chuckles she quickly and efficiently finished all of his duties for the next year, considering he just sits in his chair and sleeps.

14. froot

LE GASP. I've always appreciated Mr. Stewart's looks on a very superficial level. ;) Although I am in absolute agreement on Sisko.

I'm not saying folks can't enjoy their eye candy (I know I do!) or think someone's not good-looking, but it's always been a pet peeve of mine when folks write characters (or people!) off entirely because they're not conventionally sexy, personality be damned. I'm glad when we can see characters in the entertainment world who look normal or older and still kick ass. The video game/mainstream comics industry are particularly huge offenders. Every damn woman has to be pin-up material. I love good pin-up art; I've drawn it myself, but I just can't buy that every female character ever has to be pin-up worthy. It's silly.

I know there are women out there who don't like Janeway for various reasons. I know a few of them personally. :lol: But I wonder if the general vitriol would be so incredibly widespread if she was played by some young, saucy minx with boobies instead of KM or Bujold.

Apologies for the sudden rant; it's just a sore point with me as a lifetime nerd. I know there are many, many other female nerds and Trekkies walking this good Earth, but it still feels like a man's world once in a while. :lol: I have a couple friends who will see someone on TV and immediately start in on the person's looks, like it's the only thing that matters. I always want to ask them if they've looked in a mirror lately.

Sexy's an attitude as much as it's looks.

Oh, no, I tried using noclip to see the top-down view I coveted, and I couldn't get a wide enough angle. :( I had to abandon that endeavor and start spawning characters for funsies instead. Thankfully, there are some shots from "Haunting of Deck Twelve" which will hopefully save my bacon! :)

There... there was an expansion pack for EF?! Uh-oh. I don't think I have that "explore the ship" thing, then. I don't have the expansion. I'll have to roll with something else. I was using map VOY1 in my screenshot. (By the by, if you open your console in single player and type "map mapname", you can load whatever mission you want without playing through. :)) http://www.totallyef.net/ef/cheats.htm

Although another run through single player does seem pretty fun. We should totally play some holomatch, too. :lol:

Why'd ya give up on Sims 3? Not enough good fan-made objects out there? I was having a pretty good time with it until I got sidetracked by Minecraft, lol. If you do make some cool Sims 2 objects someday, I'd totally re-install the game to grab 'em.

15. T.D. Possum

Froot, I'mma get back to you on some of this video game stuff. I'm trying to jailbreak my Kindle and translate Klingon to my friend in the chat window while posting here, too. I'm getting into serious danger of a geek overdose here.

PS: Picard is the second hottest captain in Starfleet! Sisko's not bad, though.

16. froot

omg you know Klingon?!

lol, carry on. :lol:

17. teacake

And see I always end up defending 7, who I love from those that write her off because the poor girl was born with big breasts and blonde. 7 is an amazing interesting character who gets the short straw for what she cannot in fact help--how she looks (I'm only interested in the in-universe explanation for 7, I couldn't care less why that actor was picked blah blah.. )

Yah, that's why I've never played the "pretty" races in WoW. I really enjoy my strong female characters who actually look they know how wield their own weapons rather than like they would topple under the weight of their axe.
    It's something I don't quite get, the Janeway hates from other women. I do have a friend who told me the other day that she had hated Janeway's voice and bossiness when she was younger but that now that she's older she suspects would like her.

It's bad that strong women characters also have to be vulnerable to appeal to people and have to need rescuing. Janeway does not have that "rescue me" component, in fact she plays the role of rescuer for 7 as well as others.

18. J.Ashmore

J.Ashmore Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This thread makes me so happy. I just wanted to let that be known. :D

19. froot

OMG teacake! I did the same thing in WoW! I used to play a female Orc and female Tauren for that exact reason. I was sick and tired of girls being elves or "cute" undead and going around begging for gold like it was owed them simply because they played a "sexy" collection of polygons. Or because they had female plumbing. Like it somehow mattered.

I'd rather be a muscle-y green badass with huge fangs than some pansy elf any day. :)

I just want to high-five you.

Also, my best friend doesn't like Janeway at all for pretty much the reasons you listed as well (although she was an absolute dear and helped me get an autographed KM picture at an auction once!) She prefers vulnerable female characters. But I don't like most of the movies she watches. So we call it even. :lol:

And I don't mean to imply I don't like Seven or anything. Nothing wrong with being hot. I was just mad that TPTB backtracked, lost their nerve, and pandered to the lowest common denominator by bringing her in... just like every. other. nerdy show/game/comic. out. there. And they put her in a corset besides. Thankfully, she was a character that stood very well on her own merits. I would have liked her just as much even if Jeri Ryan was a straight-up-and-down lady with small boobs. But man, it took me a good, long while to get over the "why" of her character's appearance.

20. teacake

Awww... I am Orcs all the way!! With one Tauren, lol. When I played Alliance I played dwarf women who I think look fantastic.

The best thing that ever happened in my WoW career was joining a women only guild (though 90% of them are belfs). It changed the whole WoW experience for the better. My little play with being a separatist :D

Oh I didn't think you were implying anything about 7. I just enjoy defending her the way I would if it was a real friend who just happened to look like that. I went to school with a girl who actually looked like Barbie and got crap for it all the time.. and she was like, what am I supposed to do, dress in a sack?

I think a strong female character who is not at her core vulnerable and in need of some kind of rescuing is very rare.

I'm not a J/C'er particularly (I can usually see the merits of most ships) but I do like that if Janeway ends up with Chakotay it is she who is rescuing him, from his floundering and needs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.