Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

yes and that's why nerds are awesome, to actually go through the process of capturing audio in the 60s...its really a pretty amazing happenstance.

2. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

I wonder when that process stopped? Ronald D. Moore on Wrath of Khan DVD said he audio recorded that movie in the cinema when it came out. It must have been an interesting experience reliving these episodes/movies through audio recordings.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, it's great that the fans wanted to preserve it however they could. I suppose it probably took a while before fans were invested enough in the series to start recording it regularly and saving the tapes, so I guess we're lucky that the first three stories survived in full.

4. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Who fans were doing it right up to the eighties, though some of the more well off ones were using vhs/betamax at that point of course.

Surprisingly, one of the fans (Graham Strong), did actually start from episode one (although I'm not sure if it was the post-jfk reshowing). Because the tapes were expensive (where have we heard that before!), he did tape over the boring episodes - so we probably wouldn't have the caveman stuff from An Unearthly Child I'd imagine.

5. Christopher

Isn't it lucky, then, that we have the caveman stuff so that we know how boring it is, instead of being convinced that it's a lost classic? ;)

Naah, it's not that bad. But being bookended by episode 1 and "The Daleks" doesn't do it any favors.

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Funny you should mention that. Christopher Thomson, Doctor Who fan and an impressionist who does a mean Patrick Troughton (see this thread), recently did his own restoration for that missing line.

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLQ6102rmGU[/yt]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  7. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Wow, just checked it out, that's pretty good. It's slightly off, but if that was inserted into the audio I probably wouldn't know the difference.

Lol, that's a good point. Waris would be swearing blind on the documentary about how epic it was.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  8. The Four Doctor

The Four Doctor Commander Red Shirt

Simpson Park, Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia
    Since the Abominable Snowman fault must have existed on the original VT, those lines technically never were recorded and thus didn't exist to be lost.

9. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

We don't know for sure the master had the same fault, or do we?

10. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That Abominable Snowmen line is missing from both off-air audio recordings of the episode, and the Enterprises telerecording - which was made in January 1968, 90-odd days after the original transmission. So the gap was almost certainly there in the original VT master recording.

Christopher, about five years back Johnny Morris did a rather nice alt-reality fanzine article which reviewed the Hartnell and Troughton years on the basis that every existing episode was missing, and every missing episode in existence (including the technically flawed version of The Dead Planet, and the lost bits of Planet of Giants 3&4). Lots of fun about how dreadful it was that lost classics like The Dominators were gone, while there was a waste of space on the least interesting bits of Masterplan, etc.

11. Christopher

The phrasing of that sentence makes me remember... I was around back when the Pertwee era was incomplete too. My PBS station aired the "movie" versions of the serials, and "Invasion of the Dinosaurs" just abruptly started in the middle of the first dinosaur attack. And "Planet of the Daleks" had a weird, unexplained jump where episode 3 should've been. Then they found the film prints and incorporated them into the syndicated serials, so we finally got the complete stories, but with a portion in black and white.

Sad to say, that's probably the only case where the incomplete run of a given Doctor's adventures will ever be fully completed.

12. mythme

Just a note saying I pre-ordered The Underwater Menace from Amazon here in the States. There's still no word on when (or if) this is happening nor a picture of finalized DVD artwork, just the placeholder page for pre-orders that's been up for literally years. We'll see what happen in a month or so.

13. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

More like fourteen years ago! But here it is, reprinted on his blog: http://underthreehundred.blogspot.com/2015/09/another-world.html

14. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I've just watched the trailer for the new Dad's Army movie and it looks like they may have nailed it. My thoughts then went to the three wiped episodes and the several 'shorts' that have also gone. I'd be delighted if they redid those episodes and shorts with the film cast.

Obviously, with so many Who episodes missing, remaking them would never be an option, but how about if there were only a handful of missing shows ? Would refilming them be a popular idea ?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  15. Christopher

As I remarked a while ago, I'm a bit surprised they didn't already remake some of the missing episodes. A lot of long-running series in radio, TV, and comics used to redo old scripts on the assumption that the audience had aged out or forgotten them, and these stories were actually erased. It would've been a great idea to remake some of them with whoever the current Doctor and companion were, since it would've saved on the script budget and most of the audience would've been none the wiser. Although it would've been interesting when some of the original episodes had film prints recovered from overseas and audiences could see both versions. Imagine the continuity debates!!

16. Volpone

Volpone Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I were someone Important at the BBC, I think I could have stupider ideas than to round up some people to take all the old stories, go over them, organize them and try to align continuity wherever possible (3-4 different versions of the destruction of Atlantis--2 in the same season of Pertwee, IIRC ("Daemons" exposition and "Time Monster" to be specific); massage the scripts for modern attention spans ("Ambassadors of Death" is nice and spooky, but it drags a bit even for an old fart like me) and start redoing everything in order.

(I don't feel like that's a proper sentence (paragraph?), but it looks like it is. Just don't make me diagram it.)

17. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

http://www.bfi.org.uk/news-opinion/...al&utm_source=facebookbfi&utm_campaign=buffer

11 of the 13 episodes now exist!

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Wow, that's fantastic. I hadn't realized any of those episodes were missing.

19. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

From the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine, courtesy of 'FordTimelord' of the Planet Mondas forum:

[​IMG]

Philip Morris is currently scheduled to appear at Pandorica 2015 Friday of next week at Bristol. After this article, I think it's safe to say that - assuming he doesn't cancel at the last minute, or doesn't have one hell of a surprise up his sleeve - he's going to be facing a very hostile audience.

20. mythme

Any idea when the USA release will be? How did the release of "Web of Fear" and "Enemy of the World" in the UK compare with the US?