DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah, hard to buy into the premise when the guy is obviously the type who'd have no trouble at all attracting women whatsoever. (Because we all know how repulsive women find Bradley Cooper. Hell, I'D let him fuck me!) Seems like... interesting titles, though.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I should have added that he only looks like that on the cover. It's the same situation as Dial H.

3. Trekker4747

Yeah, but shipping the two together has many a fan's "wet-dream" for a long time and many non-MDCU comics have tried putting them together. (Like in "Act of God.") This seems like DC finally in the main-stream playing service to that. I suspect far more people DON'T want to see the two together than do, but there's still that minority.

I tried look for Comic Con Girl and Irresistible in two of my LCSs (my primary and my secondary) neither had them. :shrug: Wanted to check them out.

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Batman #12: I decided to pick up this issue after reading a few comments here and I'm glad I did. I really like Harper Row too. She'd make a great Robin.

They came out last week or the week before, I believe. Plus, they probably didn't carry a lot of copies to begin with. I was lucky to get the issues I did. For Irresistible, I got the second last one on the shelf. They printed four covers, one of which was limited to 250 copies.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Haven't picked up any Action issues since the reboot. I've only seen covers so I knew he was in jeans and a t-shirt but didn't realize how horrible he looks in them until I read that preview.

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not sure he's supposed to look "good'.

8. Admiral_Young

Yeah. It's a practical costume, he's not supposed to look good in it. He is supposed function in it. The "looking good" costume is the segmented armor suit ;)

Finished "Aquaman #12". I continue to be amazed with how good this book is. I still want a Mera ongoing book. If Ivan Reis does indeed go to "Justice League" as rumoured next year, he's going to be sorely missed on this book.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I was also really impressed yet again with Aquaman. Issue 12 was a great read and Mera was indeed a standout in the issue. I do feel the shuffling of Johns off of Aquaman is mistake this soon.

Admiral_Young were you still getting Green Hornet? I thought you and I were the only ones at one point. I'm going to let #27, the wrap of this arc be my final one. I feel it's still a good book but it's a good place to take a clean break for TPB or find the issues later in $1 boxes. Were you getting it?

10. Admiral_Young

I am still getting "Green Hornet". It's tailed off a bit since Phil Hester left, and I'm not entirely sure how much Smith is involved in the plotting any more...the first twelve issues of course was based on his abandoned script, but they seem to be just expanding beyond that right now. Been debating about dropping it...but I don't really want to because of my love for Mulan :)

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Mulan is an awesome character.
    I'm not dropping it for quality, I've just got to cut back.

12. Electric Coleslaw

Electric Coleslaw Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is an overall comment on the relaunch.
    Disclaimer: I grew up reading comics in the 70's mostly by raiding my uncle's collection which stretched back to the late 50's. My only nitpick with the newer comics is that it seems like every story has to get stretched out over multiple issues, even though the story itself isn't that epic or involved. There's a lot of wasted time with an entire page whereas one panel could have done the job. Recently in Justice League, it was Trevor's sister blaming the JL for Steve's predicament. A lot more ink went into that than necessary.

So I enjoy the comics just as much as I did as a kid but these stories need to be tightened up to one issue. Back in the day, when something went multiple issues it was a big deal. Now, it's like Season 3 of ST:ENT sometimes. Just get to it already!

As for the Supes/WW hookup, I thought it was done well. I've been lucky enough to have experienced the "kiss that came out of nowhere" with a girl. Many times, it happens just like that.

13. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

That's been a development of the past 5, 10 years really. Ever since trade paperbacks have become popular. The writers are shifting to writing for that format, while still in a monthly one. Decompression was interesting for awhile, now it's like... annoying.

14. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm reading Morrison's Supergods, and he makes a pointed comment: the original origin of Spider-man took 11 pages, but Bendis needed six twenty-two page comics. I'd suggest that this isn't all Bendis's fault: readers demand a certain amount of decompression these days. Justice League arguably pushed it too far in their opening arc.

This week: Phantom Stranger, Action, Earth Two and Worlds' Finest. I believe I actually already know where Batman learned his Bat-fu.

15. Professor Zoom

But DO readers demand the decompression? I do think that readers want more depth to the characters that used to be displayed, BUT, I don't know if they want the decompression. For me, honestly, when I read a trade, it doesn't feel decompressed there.

I think publishers are trying to write for both markets (the monthly and the trade) which works to various degrees of success.

It's probably a little bit of audience desire and a little bit of business practice that got us to where we are with the decompression.

16. Trekker4747

Action
    Detective
    Earth 2
    Worlds' Finest
    Dial H
    Smallville

17. Electric Coleslaw

Electric Coleslaw Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm not saying that every story has to be one issue but it doesn't have to be 5 either.

But then you have Action comics where I feel like I'm missing 2 or 3 issues in between each one.

18. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I basically agree with Professor Zoom. I think it's the difference between something that looks like a legend or a myth (Spider-man's origin hitting certain notes very quickly and leaving much unsaid) and epic (the new Justice League, where every detail matters and the form must somehow be as big as the stakes demand - splash pages a-plenty.)

19. Professor Zoom

Oh, I agree. There's a balance.

Personally, I think they should do away with the monthlies and just basically do trades. But, that's a business model that probably wouldn't work.

20. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I imagine this week's releases are delayed a day, yes?