Smallville 8x19 "Stiletto" - Discussion/Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Apr 23, 2009.

?

Grade the episode:

1. Excellent

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  2. Good

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
  3. Average

11 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Bad

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  5. Terrible

4 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^I'll say this again, I'm not coming back next year if what we all think happens happens.

2. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

^ What do "we" all think happens?

As for Chloe, I'd hardly call her drab in this episode, though disturbed and loaded with issues certainly apply. IMO, this arc with Davis has been the most interesting one she's had for years. There's a reason that during seasons 6 and 7, people were calling her Pod!Chloe.

And I don't think they want us to hate her, I think they want us feeling sorry for her. And with the stellar acting work from AM this episode, they've certainly succeeded as far as I'm concerned. Girl damn well broke my heart. :(

3. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

That Chloe is the one who dies in the season finale. Her recent behaviour and the fact that the Legion said they had never heard of her points to it.

4. Rowan Sjet

Ah, but there are 3 main things pointing toward her staying that I'm more inclined to believe in.

1. At the end of season 7, she got a 2 season contract, meaning seasons 8 and 9. With the contract still up, they have to pay her for every episode in season 9 even if she doesn't appear in them. Even if they were to buy out her contract for the year now, they would still have to pay her a reduced but considerable amount.
    2. Ausiello, the guy who broke the Two Deaths spoiler in the first place, posted this:
    3. In a recent interview, one of the producer's said this:

5. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I hope you're right Rowan although at this point, it seems that the Chlovage Pendulam could swing either way. I have my own theory about what might happen (PM me and I'll go into detail).

6. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

According to Austiello, he said that one of the deaths was "technically" a show veteran. And that it was a "long running" character.

Upon hearing that, taking every word he said as part of a clue, I said that person will wind up being Bart Allen, not Chloe. Bart was originally introduced in season four, and appeared once again in season six's episode Justice. So he only has two episodes so far. "Technically" that makes him a show veteran. As opposed to a "rookie", who would be in their first year of the show. Plus, I can't think of anyone on the show who has run longer than Impulse/the Flash.

Since then, on 4/13 Kryptonsite's spoiler page has revealed that Kyle Gallner will return in the finale to reprise his role as Bart Allen/Impulse.

I say Chloe lives and it is Bart who dies, along with Davis as the "metaphorical death" since Doomsday himself will live. He will just permanently lose his human side, possibly by Chloe being forced to reject him. Giving her a "tragic end" of her current story arc. As she will have lost out on love twice this season with both Jimmy and Davis, as well as losing one of her Justice Leaguers she serves as Watchtower for.

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I have one more theory.

The character to die is Lana. She has all these powers now and is not the sort of person who would hide away from Doomsday. They are going to have to do a lot of explaining if and when Lana and Kara don't show up to help.

8. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

^

I like both of those theories. I too, have considered the possibilitie of the 'L' character being the one to bite the bullet. I almost hope that's the case.

:evil:

9. Rowan Sjet

On both those theories:
    Question: You spoiled recently that there will be a permanent veteran death in the Smallville season finale. Is this character featured in the Season 8 opening credits? --Krissy
    Ausiello: Yes.

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Damn. That means Chloe.

11. Rowan Sjet

Eh, I Disagree.

I think it's either Oliver or Jimmy that gets killed off, both of whom have been around long enough to be considered "veterans", imho.

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I can't see them doing that, especially not with Jimmy. Jimmy Olsen is too vital a part of the Superman mythos.

13. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Teague was attacking and would have killed to get that item so Lana was defending herself. Chole was being told to leave a message for someone else and then covered up the murder.

14. Rowan Sjet

Yes. Apart from the fact that the message Chloe would be leaving for "Stiletto" would be her dead, throat-slit corpse and calling the police in would just result in a Doomed out Davis turning them all into squishy bits. :wtf:

As for all our theories, I think I'll just leave it as is. At least one of us will be quite surprised when the finale rolls around.

Edit: Oh, and here's Season 8's Dvd cover.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

^ I'm surprised he allowed them to put him on the cover in a shirt and tie.

16. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I'm afraid I have to agree with you Hermiod. I don't see that happening, which pretty much spells bad news for the cute little blond.

:(

If she IS the one who gets killed, I at least hope they make her death somewhat meaningful, in context to the show.

17. Rowan Sjet

It's probably the closest thing to the proper Red and Blue suit we'll get.

18. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

I hear it might be death by tar creature ... ;)

--Ted

19. Rowan Sjet

Nah, a Terminator shoots her in the head as she turns a corner.

20. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

People, it isn't Chloe that is the person who is technically a veteran who dies. It is guest star Kyle Gallner aka Bart Allen. His dying will be why Cosmic Boy/Rokk Krinn makes a return (although he likely won't come out and say it), just as the Legion was in the present when Bart Allen died in Flash, Fastest Man Alive #12. He is here to capture Bart's essence before it is lost in the Speed Force and to take it to the future with him. Bart will use his faster-than-Kryptonian speed somehow in a way that will enable the League to get rid of the threat of Doomsday at the cost of his own life.

Remember, Ausiello said it was in line with established DC comics mythos. And my scenario is taken directly from said mythos.

Also consider, we already have a speedster for the Justice League in Clark. Bart may be faster, but he is also redundant. Plus Kyle Gallner's movie career seems to be taking off. So they use his death as a way to illustrate the League's need for Clark, making him step up even more. Hopefully Ollie will make him a costume based off their established ones and Clark's colors, staying away from any tights which should be enough to please Welling.

This will hit Chloe doubly hard, giving her story arc the tragic end as advertised. As Watchtower, she has had much more contact with Bart than Clark has had. She likely considers the entire team as close friends. So her losing both Bart and Davis at the same time, on top of losing Jimmy, will leave her devastated in the finale and give her character lots of material to plumb next season.