Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

The suit is too dark, too rubbery and the cape is too long. It also looks like there are no red undies, I don't understand why they feel they have to change things. I'd like to see something closer to the SR suit with this new shield. I do like the shield though. I can't say I hate this new suit,ut I don't love it either.

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is still pretty much a Pre-boot of when Supeman starts out right? This will most likely be his first suit. The suit we all have come accustomed to is something he'll don later on.

3. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Commodore

Possibly?

4. Cmdr_Blop

Cmdr_Blop Lieutenant Commander

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's really too dark to see the overpants in this image. I'd be curious to see it properly lit.

6. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

From that angle, it looks like the shield is made out of fondant.

Maybe he makes Super Cakes.

7. DBR

DBR Vice Admiral Admiral

I hated Routh's suit in Returns from the moment I saw it. This one isn't that bad, but I'll have to see more.

8. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't hate Routh's suit, though I did feel the "S" shield was too small. The colors worked, especially with the more muted color scheme of Returns. With the new suit, I have no problem with it thus far. I'm really glad they made the shield large. As for the texture, it's not a deal breaker. It's setting it apart from the Reeve-Cain-Routh-Welling Superman eras.

As I said previously, Cavill looks pretty bad ass, but there is something in the back of my mind that reminds me of Nuclear Man in terms of his build and that look on his face. Again not a deal breaker, Nuclear Man wasn't the worst thing in Superman IV. And I like the fact that they have a Superman now in terms of musculature that looks more like the comics. Though I wish his hair style would resemble more of Mon-El's spiky look, as rendered by Bernard Chang in the recent Man of Valor series.

9. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

10. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

It's been said before, but Routh himself was fine for the role. Dude was jacked. The problem was that they used milliskin for the suit, which is horribly, horribly compressing (hence the need for the foam muscle sections of the suit, even though Routh was almost as stacked as Chris Hemsworth was on Thor).

Anyway, I'm digging Cavill's look and the suit, especially the shield. I'm not a huge fan of the texture on the suit, but I'll wait on seeing it in motion before I start really complaining.

Although the width and length of the cape is a little too Todd McFarlane for my taste. :lol:

11. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Yes, you asking nicely! :p

12. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I liked Routh's suit and I like Cavill's suit. Both interesting takes on an iconic image.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Cavill's look and the suit design, I just don't care for the texture. Although it might look different in different lighting, so I'm not gonna make any kind of a final judgment.

14. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

15. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Funny how many people are absolutely sure about the red briefs being gone, when you can't actually tell by that pic.

But I did notice something, there seems to be something on Superman's upper leg.
    [​IMG]

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Probably a Time Beetle.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The shield is SO distinctly classic and retro in style that it does make me wonder if this is supposed to reflect an earlier version of the suit (especially considering how much time this movie apparently covers).

Although I imagine if that were the case, the studio would just be releasing a shot of the modern suit intead...

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm not completely sold on the texturing but I would have to say that so far this is looking like it could the best version of the suit yet. I'm also hoping that it's just the lighting that's making the colours look a bit muted.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

What I like about the new version is that it somehow manages to look as if it's designed using the comics as a source without reference to previous film versions - as if no one had ever recreated this outfit before.

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'm not quite sure what you are getting at, but haven't all the Superman films/TV shows done their own thing with the suit without reference to an earlier filmed version?