The AGT Dreadnought Enterprise

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by F. King Daniel, Mar 17, 2013.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

An old subject, but I haven't seen a thread about it for quite awhile.

The "All Good Things" future-Enterprise. Three nacelles, massive phaser cannon, little forward-facing turrets on either side of the bridge.

What do you all think of it? Fanwanky kewl upgrade? Believable refit? What we should have had instead of the Enterprise-E? Abomination? Something inbetween? I'm in the "fanwanky kewl" camp. I loved it as a kid, But it does take away whatever grace the 1701-D had. And isn't exactly in line with Starfleet's design principles. The BMF Enterprise!

2. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The 'D' had no grace - it is ugly and awkward. I actually prefer the 'upgrade', but I don't like either very much...

3. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I vote "fanwanky kewl upgrade."

4. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Starfleet's answer to the Dominion super-battleship and Borg cubes. Somewhat awkward and yet packs a big punch, making use the Galaxy's ample internal space for additional firepower. Perhaps in this timeline the Ent-D was only badly damaged over Veridian and during the refit process Starfleet decided to see what they could really do with a more combat-focused Galaxy in light of the growing Dominion threat.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's okay, I guess. But I prefer the original look of the D.

6. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Liked the gun, could do without the rest of the add-ons. The bridge was pretty nice though.

7. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I also vote "fanwanky kewl upgrade". Interesting idea, but I don't like it. It ruins the original Galaxy design.

Worst of all, it's impractical as hell.
    The third nacelle location plays havoc with the whole ship. It blocks access to all the shuttlebays.

Also, the spine along the top of the stardrive section is umbilical access and support systems. That's all gone now with the nacelle sticking there. Where did all those systems go?

The BFG under the saucer evidently necessitated the removal of the captain's yacht and others things on the underside. And can the saucer still separate? Does the BFG remain and stick out? Does it separate with the saucer section?

8. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

The 'D' had grace until they created the 4 foot shooting model, then it had no grace. The 6 foot D was a white swan, the 4 foot D was a pit bull.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought it worked great for that episode, but I would not have wanted to see it become the "official future Enterprise" or anything like that. I'd just never be able to take it seriously with that giant gun under the saucer.

10. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

According to one fan work I know of, which fleshes out some of the starship designs, the smaller shuttlebays were removed to accommodate the third nacelle and the main shuttlebay's capacity was expanded by 75% to make up the difference. The big phaser cannon was mounted because the designers wanted heavier punch, but adding lots of torpedo launchers on the Galaxy frame wasn't ideal. The saucer can still separate.

11. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Uuuuuuuuugly.

I saw the 4-foot model on exhibit a couple years ago. The model still had scars from where the extra pieces were. It's pretty obvious why it was never sold at auction. It's too trashed to sell.

12. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Abomination!

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Not a huge fan.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I initially liked the three-nacelle Enterprise-D until I got a good look at her and realized what a Frankenstein she was, with all sorts of new bits covering old bits, and not all of them very well.

I definitely think a true Galaxy-class refit won't look anything like that, but probably just a sleeker version of the original.

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

ST Online has a more than passable Galaxy upgrade:

Venture Class:

http://www.stowiki.org/Exploration_Cruiser_Retrofit
    http://trekazoid.wordpress.com/2011/11/30/star-trek-online-special-vessels-venture-class/

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Yep. That was the design I was thinking of. Thanx.

17. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i like it with the exception of the thickness of the third pylon. the normal galaxy class looks better from front/below and the upgrade makes the top/back view more interesting

18. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Well, they knew they were never going to use it again - ST: Generations went back to the exclusive use of the [refurbished] six-footer, after all, and they destroyed the E-D there (and if they hadn't, they'd probably have continued with the six-footer for any further model work). Why would they spend the time refurbishing an obsolete model?

19. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They did end up using it a few more times on DS9. They sure did a good job with lighting to hide the flaws.

20. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Did they? I thought "The Jem'Hadar"'s model work was done before AGT, and the few later Galaxy-class appearances were either stock footage or (once you get into the Dominion War) CGI.