Is Klingon honor a bunch of hooey?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Charles Phipps, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Charles Phipps

Charles Phipps Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Depends if I'm about to blow up his spaceship or not.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

But he still wins since it's automatically a good day to die if you kill him.

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Honor is to klingons as family values are to republicans.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And what malarkey is to the rest of us.

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I always thought of Klingons to resemble feudal Japan. Even their armor and weapons were of east Asian design. Torres just likes to blame her Klingon side for her faults and anger issue.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Klingon honour is just an example of a society which doesn't live up to the morals and values it claims to uphold. History is filled with similar examples. If anything, it's realistic.

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    So Worf is the Superman of the Trek universe ? :D

8. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

[RIGHT]
    [/RIGHT]
    I do believe Klingons take the idea of honor sincerely, but they define it radically different than humans do. Winning, by whatever means, is honorable. Losing is not. You can't really compare Klingon honor to human ethics.

9. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Not sure I agree with this. I think they take the idea of honor seriously but apply it poorly in their everyday lives. Klingon honor seems to change depending on who's invoking it to justify a particular action.

--Sran

10. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hadn't really thought about it that way. But yeah, it's not an unfair comparison. :) More accurately, I suppose, his upbringing has similarities to that of Clark Kent.

Worf is a pariah in both societies really. But more so the Klingons, ironically enough.

11. Captain Clark Terrell

Not ironic at all. Klingons don't embrace outsiders as easily as humans, and Worf's definitely an outsider despite what he looks like. That he tends to view Klingon culture as some sort of unreachable star only complicates the situation, as his presence serves as a constant reminder of Klingon failings, something that a race valuing things like honor or victory above all else would certainly have a problem with.

--Sran

12. U.S.S.Unicorn

U.S.S.Unicorn Ensign Newbie

I don't think Klingons define honor radically different from humans neccessarily, but rather honor is a much more widespread idea in Klingon society. With possibly the entire race taking honor so seriously there are going to be many different interpretations.

For example, kindness is a good quality in our Western society today. Say your friend gets this really bad looking haircut that they think is the best thing since sliced bread. You could tell them that it looks bad so maybe they'll change it and not get made fun of or you could lie and say it looks great so they can be blissful. Either way could be interpreted as being kind. Or, you could just be an asshole who likes to make others feel bad and tell them it looks bad under the guise of "helping them out in the end".

The Klingons have gotten enough development to not be considered a planet of hats that all define honor the same way. So I'd say that for some Klingons honor is hooey and just an excuse to kill things but others take it honestly,just not always in the way a human would.

13. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

You could say Worf was something of an odd ball because He took everything in Klingon honor tradition seriously.

When he and Kehlar had sex in the holodeck, he instantly wanted to get married according to tradition. Kehlar got freaked out, and said it was what it was--great sex in a holodeck.

He didn't speak to his own son for 4 years, because he said he led a 'warrior's life' - even Martok thought something was wrong with that.

You could call Worf super conservative when it came to Klingon honor.

Other Klingons seemed to have had more liberal views when it came to sex, fighting and politics--but Worf was more rigid about it all.

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

In Klingon society, honor is basically a political talking point, like 'Family values'. Politicians score points with their constituents by saying 'You are better than those people over there because you have honor and they don't', they idolize a fictitious past where everybody had honor, then they ignore it and do whatever they want. Just like family values.

There are a handful of people like Worf who are really principled and take it very seriously. But also like in the real world, people like that are also more flexible when they see somebody they care about is getting hurt.

Honor does require victory, but not all victory is honorable. A straight up military victory is honorable, but secretly poisoning somebody or using sneaky financial tricks is not.

15. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    And probably because he learned about it from books. :)

16. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I don't really see any difference at all. :lol:

17. Captain Clark Terrell

I know you meant this as a joke, but it's ridiculous to assume that all humans behave the same way. Not everyone believes in a "win at all costs" way of life. That Klingons do proves only how single-minded and limited they are as a race, but Star Trek routinely portrays non-human races as being exactly that.

--Sran

18. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

The Klingons were fortunate that at least DS9 was able to show Martok, a Klingon who acted more along the lines of the spirit of Klingon Honour that Worf subscribed to, but even he slipped from that path (his treatment of Kor for example).

To an average Klingon though, Duty and Honour are merely what he uses to justify his actions, and he will if necessary twist the definition of Honour to meet his actions, rather than adjust his actions to meet the definition of Honour.

As Barbossa would say:-

[​IMG]

19. Captain Clark Terrell

Well said.

--Sran

20. cannicks

cannicks Lieutenant Junior Grade

So? it makes them nuanced, and frankly not perfect. They're not Gods. Even the Q don't have a perfect society.