Ghostbusters 2016: Talk about the movie(s).

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Frontier, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Aykroyd Comments on Murray, Ghostbusters 3! Working on Script w/Ra

I loved the first, and enjoyed the second. The video game was neat, and I liked the cartoon, too. That said, if they do a "passing of the torch" movie, I hope it's good, because Ghostbusters without the Ghostbusters? Hell no. There's a reason why the formula worked as it did.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah this is pretty much Ackroyd trying to tout the movie. I don't blame him him for talking about it in this manner since he constantly gets asks about GBIII. I still remember a few months ago that stated everything was locked up and green lit and filming was supposed to commence this summer lol.

Fans will let this go, when Dan does.

3. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that's great news. agin looking forward to it's return.

4. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

He's been saying "we have a great script, we're ready to go" for more than a decade. Hell, even Ramis said in April of 2010 that the plan was to be shooting by the end of that summer for release this year. They can say they're making it until they're green in the face, but they're still pouring all this effort into a movie that hasn't even been greenlit for pre-production by Sony, which is still trying to get rid of Ivan Reitman. Until we see SAG casting calls and filming dates, there's no movie and I hope there never is one. (And anyone who's followed me here for the ten-plus years I've been a member knows that I love the franchise with a passion I devote to nothing else, even my wife.)

The other thing people need to remember is that Aykroyd is just short of being legitimately crazy.

5. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this would have been fine about 10 years ago, but the window of opportunity on this one is slipping by as they get older, and anything we get now would just likely be a disappointment, a bit like Indiana Jones 4. In short, we don't want a microwave dinner when a home cooked meal is available and anything less would be a disappointment.

6. Timby

I mean, Aykroyd said in that interview that Ray is blind in one eye, so he can't drive the car, and with his knee problems, he can't carry the proton pack. And Egon is too fat to fit into the pack's harness. God knows what's going on with Winston or Venkman. (And if Aykroyd says they're moving ahead with or without Murray, that essentially confirms that Eisenberg and Stupnitsky basically did little more than a rewrite of Hellbent, which Aykroyd was pushing as recently as 2007.)

I'm sorry, but that's basically taking the idea of "I'm too old for this shit" and cranking it all up to ridiculous levels. Alternatively, we shouldn't be laughing at these characters -- we should be laughing with them. But that kind of shit is, unfortunately, what we should expect from the writers of Year One.

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

He is right about one thing (well, potentially). Ghostbusters as a franchise can be bigger than one individual. I think the concept could work very well with a new cast, but I don't think a movie would be an avenue for that concept.

What Aykroyd is proposing sounds like it would make a great pilot for a Ghostbusters series.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  8. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am a fan of the concept of Ghostbusters, but the execution has always left me wanting. I know I'm in the minority here, but I would love a passing the torch film to reshape the franchise. All I want is for the original cast to go on one last adventure before handing the proton packs to the next generation.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Just who would they be passing the torch to? Ryan Reynolds? Jack Black? Adam Sandler? Jason Segel? Jonah Hill? Seth Rogen? Thanks, but no thanks.

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has a 'passing the torch' movie ever worked?

11. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Im up for more Ghostbusters anytime.

12. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I was listening to the radio yesterday and they reported this latest update. The radio guy commented how he didn't see this as a whole movie. He jokingly suggested that it be a short where they hire the new guys and then the original four go to Denny's with their AARP cards.

Star Trek, perhaps.

13. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i think we need some younger blood, who could stay with it.

Maybe Jesse Eisenberg? He already killed Bill Murray once on film. Takes care of worrying about Venkman's role. (Which of course can be changed with Venkman returning as a ghost.)

And for diversity...maybe Steve Yeun of Walking Dead?

14. Kelthaz

I can't think of any franchises that were relevant long enough to get a passing the torch movie. It's pretty much untested ground.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about Star Trek Generations and Star Trek (2009)? Aren't those both "passing the torch" movies?

16. Kelthaz

Star Trek Generations was a passing the torch film for a crew who had already been on our screens for 7 years. We had more time with them than the original crew when they received the torch.

Star Trek (2009) was technically a passing the torch film, but it played out more like a remake. If you forget about the alternative universe thing, which I'm sure 99% of the audience did, it's just a standard remake. Not to mention they were passing the torch to themselves.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you count hours of episodes in the can, then yes. If you count years of fan popularity, then no.

The characters were the same, but the torch was passed to a different set of actors playing them.

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Broccoli brought up "Star Trek" in a post above. I think "passing the torch" movies on general are tricky to do because the plot is almost totally focused on that device. It is almost like an origin movie but while still telling what has happened with the original characters.

I have tried to look at "Ghostbusters III" as optimistic as I possibly can but even now I'm starting to become skeptical. Like Timby, I'm a huge fan and have been since I was a kid. I would love to see a GBIII but only if it was done "right" and it entertained me. Otherwise there is no point.

Like I said people keep asking Ackroyd about it, he's gonna answer. It might be best for him to decline responding until something actually does happen. As for the writers...I thought Ackroyd and Ramis had taken the reigns back from the "Year One" writers who were also on the "The Office" writing staff at the time? From everything that I keep hearing it seems like Murray will continue to reject or not read scripts and they will try to do this without him.

19. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, both terrible.

20. Timby

A friend of mine who basically has Lloyd's job in Entourage likes to tell a story from a few years ago about a party he was at, where he and a few friends were standing outside smoking a joint, when all of a sudden Bill Murray comes over. (This was before it was known that Murray hangs out with nobodies all the time.) Anyway, a couple of joints later, the inevitable Ghostbusters 3 question came up, and Murray said, "You know how Lucy is always holding the football for Charlie Brown? Danny is Charlie Brown, and I'm Lucy." He then wandered away before anyone could figure out how much he was kidding.

I love that story.