has a Trekkie ever directed a Star Trek film before?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Jun 15, 2014.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

R Wise - was a highly respected director but most certainly wont have been a fan of the show/trekkie (think I read somewhere his wife had to tell him to make sure Spock was included in the movie)

N Meyer - hardly knew what Trek was about before he got the job. most certainly NOT a trekkie

Nimoy - cmon, you think the guys actually in Trek are fans?:lol:

Shatner - see above

Carson - doubt he was a huge fan (don't remember reading interviews with him around the time saying he was a huge fan or anything)

Frakes - see Nimoy/Shatner (& I don't think Frakes was a trekkie prior to TNG either)

Baird - didn't even know who the characters were!

JJ - publically stated he wasn't a fan (more a Star Wars/Twilight Zone fan)

so basically with Orci this will be the first time a full on bone fide TREKKIE will be directing a Trek movie...im kind of excited! imagining a lot of callbacks/nods/references/easter eggs, plus maybe Patrick Stewart and TNG (flashback? flash forward?), Shatner (the holo scene Orci wrote for ST09)

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I picture the end scene of TMP, but instead of Decker and Kirk, it's between Orci (in uniform) and Abrams (dressed as Han Solo):

"JJ, I want this. As much as you wanted Star Wars, I want this!"

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thing is, big SW fan? Sure bring it on, you get it. The history, the canon, the need to create new within the rich history of the old. I think we got that, and I think SW is going to get that too.

4. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

No Trekkie may have ever directed a film, but a couple of Trekkies have written (assuming they consider themselves Trekkies....they certainly considered themselves fans at the very least).

Ronald D. Moore (Generations, First Contact, and I believe Insurrection), and John Logan (Nemesis).

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Insurrection was a Michael Piller joint.

6. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

And Piller was pretty much more like Nick Meyer in a sense, not knowing too much about Trek prior to being hired for TNG.

7. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

Been quite a while since I watched Insurrection...thanks for the clarification. :)

8. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That mental image has had me chuckling for the last day or so. I hope Orci doesn't get pissy and curse at the commentors on Trekmovie.com again when they critique his directing. Don't feed the trolls, man...