Read & Reread "Greater Than The Sum"- My Opinion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Dayton3, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amy Sisson

Amy Sisson Writer Captain

Just one comment.... T'Ryssa reminds me of Julian Bashir as we first saw him onscreen in DS9. Young, immature, brash.... Julian certainly acted unprofessionally from time to time, bragging about his abilities and such. He grew into the person he was by the end of the show's run, partly from experiences but also from his relationships with characters such as O'Brien and Garak.

2. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My question is this: If you hated the book so much, why torture yourself by reading it twice?

3. Marco Palmieri

Marco Palmieri Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if you're an editor of these bozos, you get the minimum wage for doing so. But I do it mainly for the medical. :evil:

4. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

Can I change companies please? I don't get the medical!!

5. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

^ You're still free to avail yourself of all the Band-aids you can find in the First Aid kit on the third floor, right?

I heard it was still Bring Your Own Aspirin, tho....

6. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

Nah, the band aids have been removed due to lack of use! They say they need the money for the Brain transplant unit

7. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

*avoids obvious "Spock's Brain" joke*

8. Nerdius Maximus

But you guys are the last line of defense between crappy novels and the public. If you read it once, and think it sucks, can't you just toss it in the garbage and never think of it again?:techman:

9. Nerdius Maximus

People seem to be touchy about sex in Star Trek, for some reason. I don't know what it is. I for one would like to see Riker hittin' them skins doggystyle with Counselor Troi. :eek:
    As for Fast Times at Ridgemont high, it's a fun movie. Do yourself a favor and check it out if you ever run across it on cable!

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, it's weird. TOS was a startlingly sexy show for the 1960s, pushing the envelope in terms of skin and sexual themes. TNG started out that way too, but it soon became increasingly staid and stuffy and respectable. And somehow this mentality evolved of "No Sex, Please, We're Trekkers."

11. Marco Palmieri

Clearly you're unacquainted with the Keith R. A. DeCandido Psychic Aftertaste.

:devil:

12. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

Apparently, you haven't had a recent up-close-and-personal look at Frakes and Sirtis. Judging by what I saw of them at Comic-Con, it'd be like watching your grandparents do it.

I'll pass.

13. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am grateful for the presence of the word 'psychic' in the above expression.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

14. Marco Palmieri

I do what I can.

15. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I don't think it's just a problem with Trek, it's more a problem with society, it's like everything is reverting to attitudes were like in the Victorian Era and the "awakening" that occured during the sixties is being disregarded/forgotten.

I did read once that some stupid thing called the "silver ring thing" was trying to be introduced into this country from across the pond, but as far as I'm aware, it's never held.

16. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

probably because all the kids over here are too damned horny...

plus, we got the hell over the puritanical thing about 2 centuries ago...

17. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Most probably, but whet I found worrying was that when talking to my 17 year old brother recently, and taking into account, we both went to the same comprehensive school, but the sex education is radically different as it's far less involved/informative than what I learnt ten or so years ago :cardie:

18. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Isn't this one of the new scents for Axe BodySpray?

19. Amy Sisson

Amy Sisson Writer Captain

Agree with the first sentiment, but as to the second, if we got all the way over the puritanical thing, why do we have high-level political candidates still preaching abstinence-only education (even when their own family members are living proof that it Does Not Work)?

More to the topic, .... wait. What was the topic?

Oh. Sex. Star Trek. Hmmmm.... I always thought the Worf/Jadzia thing was lots of fun. I also am grateful Worf and Deanna didn't end up together, because I think he would have killed her by accident.

20. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uhmm, captcalhoun is speaking about the UK.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.