sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I am really liking the look of Defiance. I've seen some of their longer production videos, as well, and they have a pretty interesting visual for the kind of human/alien hybridity in Earth's cities. The more unashamedly outre stuff makes it feel different from say the generically post-apocalyptic America of Walking Dead and Falling Skies..

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I had just the opposite reaction. It looked like they were dropping cut scenes from the video game right into the show, which is really cheesy and fake-looking, and their prosthetic-makeup aliens look barely any different from human.

3. Kegg

I enjoy this thing called Star Trek and it's been a while since I've seen a trailer to something which has aliens like that, so that is part of what I liked.

4. Christopher

At least most Trek aliens have more alienness than just painted skin and tinted contact lenses. Okay, that woman in the trailer also seems to have a bit of a prosthetic piece to widen the bridge of her nose, but it's so subtle it's easy to overlook. Keep in mind, this is a show from the creator of Farscape, so it's hard to avoid comparisons to the elaborate alien designs they had there.

5. Kegg

In terms of some races - Klingons, Cardassians, Ferengi - sure. But many of Star Trek's alien races have involved minimal facepaint, some forehead markings... or - usually on the original show - just different clothing compared to the Enterprise crew.

The woman with the broadened nose reminds me a bit of Dureena from Crusade, but that may be just me.

This is true. Although most of that IIRC was due to the Henson company's involvement - I don't just mean the puppets, but also D'Argo's prosthetics.

Though O'Bannon is also behind Alien Nation, which also had a very distinctive look for the titular aliens. But I do still basically like the alien looks here. They're not amazing, but they're not bad.

6. Christopher

"Looks?" All I noticed were the slightly golden-hued woman and some video-game creatures whose appearance I didn't really notice much beyond how fakey and CGI they looked. But it all went by so fast. Maybe if someone could provide screencaps, I could evaluate it better.

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

It looks generically bleak and tedious to me, but if Rockne O'Bannon is involved it might be good.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm really looking forward to this. So far I've like what I've seen in all of the videos, I find the premise interesting, it has a great cast, and I liked O'Bannon's work on Farscape. There are a couple of behind the scenes videos on the show/game website that give more of an idea what to expect.

9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I finally saw the Defiance trailer and the CGI does look too much like a video game. It's a bit cartoonish and fake looking.

10. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could accept video game looks if the characters and story are strong. I know that TV can't have a movie budget, it just needs to look better than something somebody made in their garage.

11. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

12. Temis the Vorta

Beneath - ABC.

13. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I watched the Defiance trailer yesterday - found it interesting. Want to see more.

14. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wonder which political party will grab onto this. Democrats will say "See this is what happens when you allow more drilling!"

Republicans will say "See! This is whath appens when you don't let us drill for oil and go for other things." lol

15. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Supernatural Western in devel. from ‘Lost’s’ Carlton Cuse for NBC

‘Lost’s’ Carlton Cuse To Develop Supernatural Western For NBC

interesting idea. After the big budget Hollywood feature Cowboys vs Aliens plot mess I think I would prefer a more traditional TV western like Hell on Wheels (which I didn't like personally).
    I'm still looking forward to the modern Western genre Longmire when it appears on Hulu or Netflix since I missed the first run this Summer.

16. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Re: Supernatural Western in devel. from ‘Lost’s’ Carlton Cuse for NBC

Wonder if it came from Warehouse 13?

17. Temis the Vorta

TNT developing series based on Koontz's Frankenstein novels.

Sounds ambitious to say the least!

18. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, both of those last ones sound pretty intriguing.

19. Temis the Vorta

Anyone familiar with Koontz' novels?

20. Temis the Vorta

There Is No God: Twilight the TV series in the works?

The CW would be the place for it but they already have The Vampire Diaries...ABC Family maybe?