DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

That's actually a great way of putting it. Johns' later work is almost entirely devoid of heart. Now his JSA, his Flash, his Avengers, his Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E., his early Teen Titans, and even Green Lantern up until Sinestro Corps War had tons of heart. His stories were competent and you got the impression that he was one of us. But now that his work is just traveling from event to event, there's no heart or very little.

As far as Claremont goes, he's just someone who stuck around too long and killed his legacy. He's kind of the butt of all jokes in the X-World to the point where his legacy of creating pretty much every X-Men story worth talking about is forgotten. I worry that Johns could get there at some point.

Thanks Myasishchev for summing up my opinion...

2. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Sorry, didn't realize you edited to add this after I replied. I think it's called Men of War because it's always supposed to have a back-up, and thus be an anthology (kinda sorta). Like All-Star Western not being Jonah Hex volume whatever. On the topic of Demon Knights: [link]http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dcnu-paul-cornell-demon-knights-111108.html[/link] Some interesting stuff in here. My favorite bit is probably on the subject of the Shining Knight's gender, where Cornell is pretty bluntly saying that we should take seriously a character's decision to ascribe one gender to himself even if we think he looks like a she. Typically comic-book geek, the Newsarama reporter takes that to mean that the gender hasn't been revealed yet. Cornell's talking gender politics; the reporter is talking continuity and the "reveal."

Last edited: Nov 9, 2011
  3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

She's a redhead in a skintight mermaid suit. Whats not to love? Also cool water powers.

4. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

First collections announced. Looks like I'll be waiting patiently until August to check out Morrison's Action Comics.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Same. That seems pretty late to me. We will well be in arc two by then.

6. Broccoli

It seems about right to me. Especially if the first collection has the first 8 issues. While I am sure the "gotta have it now" crowd would love it to be out the minute issue 8 hits stands, there is no reason why DC would need to release it that quickly. The fact that it is coming out as quickly as it is is surprising to begin with.

7. Admiral_Young

Issue 8? Morrison normally does six issue arc, and I'm pretty sure I have heard that the first arc on Action is six issues. Same on most the other books. That is why it seems weird to me that they're releasing them so late in the year. Baring any delays the first arc for Action should normally be released sometime around April.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Nope. Both the above linked article...

...and this article from Comic Vine (with spoilers) confirm the initial 8-issue arc.

9. Broccoli

According to the link, the first Action Comics collection will contain issues 1-8.

10. Admiral_Young

Wow. Okay I take back what I said! August makes sense if it is an 8 issue opening arc. Either way I can't wait to get the Hardcovers for this and Batman.

11. Broccoli

12. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

thought Batgirl #3 was really good. loved the back and forth between Dick and Babs. also, just a little tease of info on the operation Babs went through.

Demon Knights #3 was fun, i really enjoy this book.

Green Lantern #3 had an interesting cliffhanger.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yeah, how will Hal get out of that one?!

14. Admiral_Young

I'm really enjoying Superboy...and we had a pretty big reveal regarding "Red". It is who we think she is it would seem! Yeah I'll be keeping Superboy for a little while longer. It is going to be interesting when they have Clark finally confront him.

Batgirl #3 was an improvement over the first two issues. I'm starting to understand what Simone is attempting to do in this first arc with Babs. This is just a part of her continued journey as a superhero, she needs to prove to herself that she can be Batgirl again. She's making gaffs though that Oracle would not even make. The scenes between her and Dick were great, I've always liked them together. They've a lot of baggage though right now and I'm still pissed that One Year Later separated them after they'd gotten engaged finally. They belong together. Perhaps the locket of hair Babs gave Dick is a tease towards bringing them back.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  15. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Batgirl #3: This is a title I still really like and it continues the quality of the other issues. I really love Batgirl's internal monologue in these books and the fight/banter with Dick was good stuff. This is quickly becoming one of my more favorite titles.

Batman & Robin #3: This one I am still not sure on. I don't like this version of Robin, and I suspect I'm not much in a minority here. He's not quite Jason Todd levels of bad but, I dunno. The art in this one also seemed to range between bland and over-dramatic/done. It's good but not great. The stuff between Damien and Alfred was pretty good but Jason is a bit of a punk.

16. Admiral_Young

Damian is an awesome little SOB. He will rub off on you if you read enough books that he is in :). Trekker...you're coming into the Bat game really late and have missed a lot of back story. I don't know if you have the time but I would highly suggest that you read "Batman and Robin" as well as a few other trades from Morrison's run, especially Morrison's three volumes of "Batman and Son" which feature Dick as Batman and Damian as Robin. It will explain things regarding Damian and why he's the way he is for you.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, as I've said before, the other Batman books have worked for me, mainly Batman's self-titled book. I won't mess with reading a bunch of other, older, books and just pick-up on the backstory as things move along. Really, they should have done a "harder reboot" on Batman too instead of leaving so much of the past intact.

18. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^the reason the GL and Bat stuff didn't get a reboot was they were selling well. if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

19. Admiral_Young

^ Exactly plus Grant Morrison would have been pretty pissed off if he wasn't given a chance to finish his Bat opus. I know that I wouldn't have bothered reading the relaunch at all if Batman, Inc had been axed.

20. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure, they don't have to start over... but it should still be accessible to Trekker, and the solution to his problem should not be "read a bunch of old stuff."