FX/editing wishlist/technical/related discussion for STNG-R

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by RAMA, May 11, 2011.

1. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Re: What new FX/editing do you want to see in the STNG-R?

And how do you add more background characters to a scene that they weren't originally in? You superimpose them by means of a computer. Which again is not what the remastering is about. Unless you're talking about reshooting scenes with new sets and actors, which would not be remastering, it would be new physical scenes, which definitely isn't going to happen.

2. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Calm down and don't take it so personally. Also, who cares what re-mastering is or isn't. I was just throwing in my two cents on what I would like to see.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Your just determined to eliminate imagination, aren't you? :rolleyes:

4. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want to see BOBW extended edition with the Battle of Wolf 359 shown. Include a cameo of Sisko on the Saratoga, and hire some actors to show the action from several other bridges. I'd pay good money for that. Is they guy who played Adm. Hansen still around? Put him on a darkened bridge with sparks flying for an afternoon and you could add some excellent footage of his last stand to the episode.

Honestly, if they made the original versions available as well, I'd be fine with them reimagining almost all of the SFX.

5. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Armus would have been so much cooler if he'd been one of "the 100" changelings sent out into the galaxy, just unable to hold much of a form.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:guffaw:

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Who's taking it personally? You don't know me and I don't know you. I'm just explaining how the remastering process works.

8. Sean Aaron

Sean Aaron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At first I thought this idea was a shameless money-grab, however the effects were early CGI and necessarily rushed due to time constraints so it would appear to have some merit.

Despite this nothing will save the first (and much of the second) season episodes (even if they re-do the musical cues which were horrible and too loud) because they're just badly written crap (okay, I do have a fondness for the last couple of episodes in the first series).

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Meh. Most of TNG's shots were simply "talking head in the center of the screen. It it's 4:3 or 16:9 it doesn't really change the look or feel of the shot...it just gives you more shit along the side to look at.

If you crop the shot, this won't alter anything. What's in the center will still be in the center and what's on the side will still be there. What you'd lose would be irrelevant stuff on the side or the bottom or both depending on the shot.

You'd go from this:
    [​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

or this:
    [​IMG]

to this:
    [​IMG]

Those are just a couple of random caps from Relics...but most of the show outside of Season 1 seemed to have been filmed this way. I'm sure there are a few exceptions that will require some creative editing.

The directors' intent wasn't to make art, it was to make a TV show and the rules for 4:3 are the same by 16:9. "Have the people talking in the middle." Respectfully...you're not rewriting Shakespeare here.

Now...if you're against that and would prefer reframing every shot from the masters for 16:9...that would be a pretty massive nightmare for the team since in most of the shots you'd be dealing with missing set pieces or gear/crew who were standing just out of frame. In that respect the 4:3 would not translate. But even if one were to reedit and digitally remove a sound guy who's standing in the new 16:9 shot, you'd still have the talking heads in the middle of the shot.

I'd like them to show us more of the ship instead of every room looking suspiciously like 10 Forward or the Observation Lounge but that would be damned near impossible.

Only one:
    [​IMG]

10. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry, but what show are you writing about? We're discussing TNG, and there was no CGI (except maybe one test shot later in one of the later seasons, I think) in TNG.

Doug

11. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When talking about new mattes, I mean something like this:

[​IMG][​IMG]

Or this:

[​IMG]

Extending and replacing the old mattes, and I would hope adding some 'life' to it, with clouds, rolling dust or snow, a few animals running around, or people, depending on the environs. That would be a great thing for TNG-R.

12. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Do we really need to go all Special Edition with this? Add some crazy aliens, have Picard shoot last?

13. PorthosShadow

"Need"? No but it should because it would be really cool.

14. JarodRussell

Maybe add faster editing, lens flares and camera shakes, too.

I want the original show on bluray, with as much of the original effects (which have been recorded on film, but composited on video) as possible. I don't need anyone to fuck it up just because it's sooo kewel.

15. PorthosShadow

No one will force you to watch it or even like it but there are people who are very interested in seeing TNG get an update.

16. JarodRussell

Dude, I want it in High Definition, not in Fucked With.

All of the VFX have been done on film, but composited on video. All they need to do is to go back and recomposite the material shot on film in high definition.

17. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Haha, bring JJ Abrams and you'll get plenty of lens flares, enough to burn your retinas out. Let Michael Bay collaborate, and we'll be guaranteed to have at least 10 exploding ships per episode...lol.

18. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I could be wrong, but I think it was said that the filmed stuff for the effects shots may not exist. Regardless, they couldn't make it look the exact same episodes we all know. It's going to be updated and redone with CG either way.
    Now the thing is, when it comes to movies I am a diehard purist, but when it comes to television shows for some reason I'm a lot more tolerant of the kind of work they did on TOS-R. No idea why, but I say they should make the effects what were intended, and not identical to what ended up on screen. If they're going to invest that time and money into the show, why intentionally make the same decisions that were only there due to bad circumstances? There are some cases where I think they should respectfully change things, but not for the sake of it, which includes re-editing the live action shots, adding lens flares etc.

19. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

That would probably make it more popular.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I think it lacks imagination to not allow creativity and just a small amount of free reign in redoing the FX. It also lacks imagination to want everything the same all the time and to never change. No THAT is boring.

RAMA