Ms. Marvel - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Hermiod, Jan 25, 2009.

1. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I think, sadly, you've hit it on the nose, my friend.

And you know, Carol as Captain Marvel in House of M was really something I hoped they'd keep. Not only did the character deserve it, but it helped distinguish her from the other Marvels out there.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What if she had decided that she was better than Captain Marvel?

Major Marvel sounds groovy?

3. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    Or Mistress Marvel? Or Madam Marvel?

4. Guy Gardener

Methinks you're talking about Karla up there and not Carol.

But if the Inhumans are becoming a Kree Outpost up there on Luna, the rampant misuse of kree Technology and iconography is something they're going to begin buckling down on surely?

If not massproduce?

The Kree are supposedly at a genetci dead end. They can't mutate. Which is why they fiddle with the younger races for metawarriors by proxy. What's the gravity stone used for usually by Kree science? Since Zemo basically managed to use it as something just a little less powerful than a cosmic cube.

5. goblin9

goblin9 Ensign Newbie

I am with you all the way!
    I will say that is much more probable that the interview is "red herring" and Reed means that Carol will fake her death ("Carol Danvers" will die, but her new identity "Cathriene Donovan" will be alive and well and active in the New Avengers).
    So, do not worry.

And Carol Danvers is mine! not yours! she is mine!

6. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I think not. Some of my previous avatars:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

:p

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I am hoping that Carol's death is a red herring for her and that she's going under cover. Ms Marvel has been one of my favorite characters since I started collecting comics. I have also enjoyed what Reed has been doing. Hopefully she'll be doing the spy thing and comes back as Ms Marvel in issue 50 or so at the end of Dark Reign. If Carol really is dead, I'll be dropping the book.

8. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Sadly, I will be too.

9. goblin9

goblin9 Ensign Newbie

I am ahead of you, I already contacted my LCS and dropped the book, 2 minutes after I read the infamous interview. (That was before I started thinking logically and started searching for clues that she will stay alive in the next months - and there are a lot of them!)

The book stays down right now, I will read #37 in my LCS as soon as it arrives and the only way I start subscription in #38 is if we clearly see Carol Danvers (or whatever her name will be at that point) alive and well in the end of the issue.

I like Reed writing, I really do, but 90% of the reason to buy Ms. Marvel is Carol Danvers, I will not support any step which will crap all over the character.

A shame really Carol Danvers and Peter Parker are the only two characters in the MU that I care about.

10. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

You're just channelling me now, aren't you ? :D

11. goblin9

goblin9 Ensign Newbie

The funny thing is that your preferences are really the same as mine in that regard.

Damn transporter accidents... You probably got the better life too...

12. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

I'm noticing your rank and guessing you didn't do much lurking before you started posting. :)

Spider-Man and Ms. Marvel are my two favourite comic book characters, with Captain America third.

They killed Captain America, they completely rebooted Spider-Man (and got rid of his wife) and now they're killing Carol. Kind of makes one feel a bit persecuted.

13. goblin9

goblin9 Ensign Newbie

No, I actually found this board when searching clues about Ms. Marvel fate :)

Ms. Marvel and Spidey are my faves too. This is why I bother buying them.

There is a big problem with "continuity" comics, and it is getting bigger by the minute. Editorial mandates and events are all over the place. When you want to read about any comic book character and instead get dozen different plotlines from other books and your character playing second violin to all these "Big events" in his own title.
    And when things get messed up they start rebooting.
    And in order to pull readers in for those events they start killing.

But most people did not start reading for these big events. All I want to see is a monthly dose of Peter and Carol kicking superhuman butts.

The thing is, I am awre of this and try to keep away from "continuity comics". The only "continuity " related comic books I read are Ms. Marvel and Amazing Spider-Man.

And then they pull something like this, and it just deepens the frustration and make me ask "Why am I doing this to myself? I can spend money on other things..."

The truth is I am just too attached to these characters to be able to throw them away.

14. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. Both Marvel and DC need longer periods between events. You can't shake up the status quo if no situation is around long enough to become the status quo.

15. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I get the impression that comics have made too much of a niche market for themselves by being overly dependent on comicstores as a point of sales. It is becoming too hard to get casual readers to pick up an issue here or there at random since comics left the spinner racks of local convenience stores.

Rising prices and fancier paper targeted for collectors is another problem as well as six issue arcs meant for trades. I just don't care to try a book at random for the prices being asked, especially when I can't get an entire story in the book I'm getting. I shouldn't be suprised if many others follow similar lines of shopping.

This all leads to needing events to bring in cash and a resurgence of readers to broad numbers of titles that tell parts of the total event story. This is what got me out of most comics in the nineties. I wasn't interested in getting a half dozen titles every few months that I had no interest in just to understand what was going on in the event of the moment.

16. Guy Gardener

I might have to refute the word "event". Since Avengers Dissassembled, it's all been connected, apparently during some 2003 super retreat with lots of blow and a few dead hookers, where the bad ass writers hammered out a 5 year plan with the top of the food chain... But even ignoring that, what really seems to be happening is that Bendis is pretending to be writing 6 or 7 "different" books a month, when in fact everything he churns out in 616 continuity is some skrullish ubertitle that nomatter whats on the masthead it's just the next issue, and every bugger and his dog after that is just trying to play catch up adhering to the only game in town like pilot fish.

"Event" to me is editors fucking with writers with some huge insane and stupid idea which derails their creativity. This however is a marketing colossus a step behind Bendis' frenzied imagination that no one seems to know how to stop or want to.

Semantics, meh?

17. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Its a fair cop. But whatever phrase we use, a break in the action is needed. I mean, all the Spider-books did was move right to the negative side of Peter's unmasking, with only Peter David showing a bare few positives. I think the great plan needs at least six months between 'chapters', if you will, just to explore some of the neater ideas contained in it all, and there are some. Each event follows so closely on the heels of the prior one, I'm thinking this will all end up with every hero locked away in an insane asylum--run by Mephisto, of course, as he corrupts half of them.:rolleyes:

18. Guy Gardener

I need to speak up for Karla.

EVIL IS SEXY!!!!

19. goblin9

goblin9 Ensign Newbie

Oh yes, I quite agree.
    You can have Moonstone in Playboy magazine any time you want.
    Also, she is more than welcome to have more than a few catfights with Carol Danvers on the pages of Ms. Marvel.

Other than that, keep her away from my pull list!

20. goblin9

goblin9 Ensign Newbie

Damn, only speaking on Ms. Marvel got me through starfleet academy already?
    Did not expect to see "Ensign" so soon.

The UFOP has problems recruiting, eh?