Best Audio Book?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Sindatur, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I'm sure there must be a thread, I've searched back 5 pages, and used search functioned, and didn't find it.

I listen to Audiobooks on my commute, and the only Dr. Who I've listened to are The Tennant/Rose "Ressurection Casket" and the "Tales From the Tardis" CD with an Iris Wildtyme adventure (The big Cat Family one) and the other story had The Master having Imprisoned 3 (played by Nicholas Courtney) and Jo [I think?] played by Sophie Aldred in a cage meant for The Master.

I've just obtained Paul McGann's Shada, so what do I need to obtain next in the Audio arena, what's your "Can't be a real fan without" Audio Drama?

Thanks for all your suggestions.

<Oh and Mods, Feel free to use my post to bump a prior thread if that's more appropriate>

2. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Oh, wow. There's a LOT of audio out there. Besides the awesomeness that is Six, what are your favorite subjects?

And when I saw a lot, I mean Big Finish alone has well over 200 titles available, not just with the Doctors but with Iris, Gallifrey has its own three-season miniseries, Daleks, Davros, Cybermen, and Sarah Jane has her own spin-off audio series that's 9 cds long.

Hmmm. I'm going to suggest an earlier title called Spare Parts. It's not a Six, but that's ok. It's Five, and an adventure on Mondas, which if you're a fan of the Cybermen, you'll recognize straight away.

There are a couple on here who have all of the titles and could give you everything you could possibly want to know about them. It might help them if you narrow down what stories you enjoyed, then they can suggest audios that are similar.

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I've only ever heard missing episode audio.

Power of the Daleks read by Tom Baker is my favourite.

4. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I'll second the suggestion for Spare Parts. Simply an amazing story through and through. I would also recommend (and I'm surprised Omaha didn't suggest it because it is The Sixth Doctor) The Holy Terror. Don't let the fact that The Doctor's companion is a penguin bother you because Frobisher is full of awesome.

5. Sindatur

In the show, I've always liked the multiple Doctor Stories, The Master, The Rani, Gallifrey/Time Lord Mythology. Enemy Alien Races, like most of them, Daleks, Cybermen, Sontarrans, etc.

Candlelight and EMH, thanks for your replies as well.

6. Hennessy Badger

Hennessy Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of my favorite DW audios is Big Finish's Doctor Who Unbound: Masters of War.

The story takes place in an alternate universe. The doctor is played by the amazing David Warner, and his companion is Alister Lethbridge-Stewart!

I love that the tardis is occupied by these two (occasionally grumpy) old men - engaging in adventures better suited for youngins like 11 and Pond.

It is a great dalek-centric story, with daleks that are actually intimidating for a change. There are some surprising twists and turns. I found myself attached to the supporting characters, and the ending is quite satisfying.

If you're looking for a one-off, self-contained DW audio adventure, this is easily one of the best.

7. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Masters of war is a sequel to another one with the same characters. And it is indeed excellent.

8. The Nth Doctor

I much prefer Sympathy of the Devil (the first Unbound with David Warner). I think it has a stronger story and cast (including pre-Doctor David Tennant). I really don't like one of the twists is Masters of War and takes a lot from the story for me.

9. Sindatur

So, tell me some more about the Gallifrey 3 Season mini-series, what does that mean

(Runtime per "episode" and # of "episodes"
    is the Doctor included, which one,
    overall title of Mini-series and specific "episode" titles, maybe?)

Spare Parts sounds fascinating as does David Warner performing an Alt-Universe story/series (Loved his performance in B5)

10. OmahaStar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallifrey_(audio_series) ... That link might be of interest. Each episode is one cd, and it's about an hour long, I believe. The stars are Romana II (now President Romana, having returned from e-Space), Leela (who remained behind on Gallifrey) and their two K9 units. I don't believe any of the Doctors made appearances, though Maxil does, which is kind of cool.

Ah, then I'd certainly suggest picking up both of David Warner's "unbound" cds. Not only will you find that B5 guest, but Sarah Douglas (aka Death Walker) ... and I think it's the second of those that has David Tennant doing the voice of a soldier. He did a lot of voiceover work before being cast as the Doctor.

The Rani Reaps the Whirlwind ... I *think* that's the name of the other cd I wanted to mention. Kate O'Mara has only done one bit of audio work as the Rani, and it follows her adventure after Time and the Rani, sort of leading into Dimensions in Time.

11. Sindatur

Ooh, Dimensions in Time...Where did it come from? I watched it on Youtube after Time Crash, and was shocked to see A Dr. Who Episode set within the East Enders Set/characters...? And all the Doctors and Companions...It was fun. I asked about it in "Recently Watched Stories", I believe and no one responded.

Unbound sounds Way cool, Sarah Douglas is awesome, would love to see her also come to NuV (along with Michael Ironside)

Gallifrey sounds way cool too, but John Leeson is both K9s?

12. The Nth Doctor

"Dimension in Time" was a charity episode made for Children of Need that featured both Doctor Who and EastEnders as part of the former's 30th anniversary. While most fans hate it, I think it's nice to see all of the companions mismatched with the various Doctors. Plus we get the on one screen interaction between The Sixth Doctor and The Brigadier. The production initially began as "The Dark Dimension" which would have been a darker story but complications arose that prevented this from happening.

Yes but it's not too confusing. Plus, you get to hear a lot of squabbling between the two units.

Colin Baker is set to appear as The Doctor amongst many other big name appearances.

13. Sindatur

I have Series 1-3 of the Gallifrey Adventures coming (Last episode Gallifrey: Panacea), and I can't find any sign of Series 4 beginning with Gallifrey: Reborn? I've checked Amazon, B&N, Ebay, and less reputable locations, and no sign. Is Series 4 an upcoming Series?

Oh, and how does this all fit in with Paul McGann's Shada? I recall hearing a clip where McGann referred to Romana as Lord President (Or a similar honorific)

EDIT: DUH: I just noticed the spoiler in the previous post is marked "Spoiler about upcoming Series 4". The other question about how Shada fits, still applies though

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  14. OmahaStar

Let's see if I remember this order correctly ... There are a few stories that lead up to the 50th in the Big Finish range, a title called Zagreus. It's a monster of a story, taking a full 3 cds to tell, and every Doctor and companion who had done work for Big Finish to date (and a few who hadn't yet) came in as various characters. It was the first time Five, Six, Seven, and Eight had been together in a story. There's also a very nice surprise cameo by someone near and dear to all of us Who fans. I won't spoil it for you, and I hope no one else does before you get the chance to hear the story for yourself.

During that adventure, Leela and Romana meet. This is the launching point for the initial Gallifrey series (season), which stars the two of them.

If I'm not mistaken, Romana as the President has adventures with all of the Doctors (Five through Eight). Shada is one of them. As mentioned above, Eight wants an adventure with Romana, so he goes to Gallifrey, grabs her by the hand and says "Let's have tea" then drags her to the Tardis and off they go. Or something like that.

If you keep in mind that they're all time travelers, it'll be a lot easier on you. Trying to figure out where they are in the Doctor's timeline is hard but doable. Trying to do that with Romana as well is probably impossible. Just remember that she's the president for a very long time, up through and including Eight's stories, and you'll be fine.

15. Sindatur

I read about Zagreus somewhere, but, couldn't remember the title, nor could I remember where I saw it, thanks.

Oh, i have no problem, understanding that you can meet someone in your future, from your past. Look at River, she's one of these sort of Paradoxes. I also understand that just because Pertwee only ran into Delgado Master onscreen, it doesn't mean he didn't battle against Simm (but, as River would say, "That would be Spoilers" if they had shown it on TV)

Off to look for Zagreus

16. The Nth Doctor

Not quite. Unfortunately Romana hasn't had an adventure with The Seventh Doctor. I keep hoping they'll rectify that.

17. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They did meet in the book Blood Harvest.

18. The Nth Doctor

Ah, well, I was just counting the audio plays. :p

19. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

Romana also appears in Lungbarrow.

It's her who sends the Doctor on a mission to collect the Master's remains from Skaro.

I did enjoy the Colin Baker/Cybermen story where they meet Peri's mother, played by Claudia Christian of Babylon 5. Although I've heard that's not considered one of the better ones.

20. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

That's a little off. Remembering that Shada was the abandoned story that was never completed in 1979 due to a strike, and then they used some footage from it in The Five Doctors. Years later, the Eighth Doctor gets hit with a strong sense of "unfinished business" drawing him back to Cambridge or wherever Shada was set, because those events were interrupted by The Five Doctors but needed to be completed (who knows, maybe it qualified as a fixed moment in time involving the Doctor). And because Romana and K-9 were involved too, he had to go back and get her. Fortunately for him they weren't stuck in E-Space anymore.

It's a bit messy, but the whole issue is dealt with in just a few minutes and then Douglas Adams' original story kicks in.

Alex