Ever been Trekked out?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by RAMA, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Bones_McCoy21

Bones_McCoy21 Commander Red Shirt

No, if I don't want to watch TOS I watch TNG or DS9. If I get bored of any of those I read Trek Lit.

2. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I didn't watch the last two seasons of VOY until the end of 2008. I didn't watch 90% of ENT until 2010. Taken together, I didn't watch most of the last six years of televised Trek until almost a decade later.

In 2009, I re-watched all the Star Trek movies for the first time in several years. The last time I'd seen any of them before that was 2000-2002 (including NEM, which I'd only seen once and have now only seen twice).

Up until Netflix streaming, I hadn't seen most of TNG in 15 years. Contrary to the myth that Trekkies have seen TOS episodes hundreds of times, and contrary to what you'd expect of someone who used to moderate the TOS forum; I've seen all the episodes 10 times or less. In some cases, a lot less.

I quit TrekBBS altogether in 2010. Completely. I was never going to post here ever again. I quietly left because I didn't want to draw attention to it. I re-registered the following year.

I'm a bad Trekkie. I have a life, several other interests, and I don't need to watch episodes hundreds of times over tens of years.

3. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I go through moods with my movies (I have a huge collection of DVDs.over 700) and I will watch something for a while then will walk away from it for some time. That is completely normal.

I was in a Star Trek mood last month and watched all of TOS (well I skip a few of the episodes I do not like) and all of the TOS movies.

Right now I am watching all my Andy Griffith DVDs. I am sure at some point I will be back to Star Trek either the original series or any of the other series in the franchise.

4. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

From 1972 through to about 1979 I could not get enough Star Trek. I am almost embarrassed to relate how many times I've watched and re-watched TOS. Around 1979 life changed for me and I became busier and distracted, like teens normally do. I don't think I came across it at all for years....I didn't have cable and none of the local stations were playing it.

In early 1984 I stumbled across it once again. A local station had started playing it on Wednesday nights.....and from the first second that I had rediscovered it I was back in love with it. I missed it greatly and watching it, it was like I was back with some old friends....crazy as that might seem.

I made a point to make time for it every Wednesday.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

RAMA got me started watching it again with this thread. Watching Space Seed now. :lol:

6. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Even moreso for Sydney- and Melbourne-based TOS fans in Australia. Nostalgia and communal watching. Seeing TOS (six episodes, later five episodes plus a TAS ep.,) on the big screen at monthly Star Trek marathons was how our original fans got their Star Trek fix - and how new fans, drawn into fandom by ST:TMP, caught up with what had gone before. Our TV network holding the rights had sat on them, rather than repeat the episodes (only about eight when colour TV debuted in 1975).

The marathons in the CBD offered a regular meeting place for fans, a place to buy the rarer merchandise and fanzines, and two intermissions where shy and gregarious fans alike could strike up a conversation with a new friend over a devon-and-cheese sandwich (later - toasted as jaffles!) and a paper cup of Coca-Cola. And know they would have at least an appreciation of Star Trek in common, if nothing else.

A few months before ST II arrived in cinemas, a rival network snapped up the rights to TOS... and fandom just got stronger. The marathons survived - barely - two moves after ANZAC House (and its theatrette) was demolished. But even the TV network realised that TOS worked well in large. communal groups, hence:

[​IMG]
    ticket by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

However, the phenomenon of diehard fans getting "trekked out" was common enough. People either vanished, for years at a time, or forever. Or, they'd give away all their memorabilia and tell the rest of us - very loudly - we were all idiots for liking TOS, the movies, TNG, or DS9. (I very nearly faded away myself with the earliest eps of DS9.)

As much as I love the ST novels, there was a time when they were coming out two-per-month, and now most of them have doubled or tripled their word count. Even though only one-per-month, its still more books than I can get a chance to read, plus the comics keep coming.

Staying a Star Trek fan really does take hard work, and local support networks have changed radically since the early 90s. About the time Bob stopped doing his Star Trek marathons. Sigh.

[​IMG]
    Literally beside myself - Therin and Grol at ANZAC House, at a monthly Star Trek marathon by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

7. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watch things in waves, until I get tired of them. I get "the bug." Star Trek is no exception. When I'm done with Trek I watch something else, like Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Space:1999, Babylon 5, or something new. But it always swings around the circle of the same half dozen series.

8. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did the same. However I didn't leave completely or delete my account, I just didn't visit and post at all for about a year. oddly I only decided today to come back and start up again.

I don't ever get trekked out, I just kinda take a subconscious break for sometimes months without watching or reading any Trek. Such as avoiding tv reruns etc, but then something as silly as my iPod on shuffle I'll catch some music from one themovies/shows and in a way re-ignites my Trek obsession and ill then go on a Trek binge and watch TOS religously, occasional TNG, plenty of DS9 but hardly any VOY or ENT. The movies I'll watch from TMP - ST09 and then after a few months I'll revert back to occasional SciFi intake during the summer due to motorsports,F1,motoGP etc then usually back to SciFi in autumn and winter with firefly,BSG,quantum leap and all other boxsets I happen to find.

9. SecretlyMrsKirk

SecretlyMrsKirk Lieutenant Red Shirt

I watched I, Mudd, The Voyage Home and The Undiscovered Country on the same day within only a few hours of each other. I was exhausted by the end of it all:lol: