Doctor Who Adventure Calendar 2010

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Chris3123, Dec 2, 2010.

1. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought there should be a thread on the official website's holiday tradition. The Doctor Who Adventure Calendar is a yearly feature where each day of December they reveal a new goodie for fans, such as an image, a video, or a game. Some relate to the upcoming Christmas special, but not all. I'll start us off with the first entry on the calendar.

December 1st

What it is: A downloadable PDF of instructions for a game called "Doctor in the House". Basically it involves you trying to slip any of the given Doctor Who quotes into ordinary conversation, and earning points if no one gets it. Not a very structured game, but it sounds amusing enough. They had this game on the calendar last year, though this time the quote list is updated to include quotes from Series 5.

Available for non-UK fans? Yes.

2. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I like the idea of marking them as available outside the UK or not. Most text and picture-related items, including (importantly for me) the exclusive short stories are OK everywhere. It's the video-related stuff that we can't get. Which is a pain if they decide to do a mini-episode like they did last year with A Ghost Story for Christmas.

They seem to be a little slow adding the Dec. 2 item. It's about 2-3 PM over there as I write this and it still hasn't appeared.

Alex

3. Chris3123

December 2nd

What it is: A Christmas-themed wallpaper based on the Adventure Games, in addition to the announcement of the fourth installment of the series to be released on Christmas Day, "Shadows of the Vashta Nerada".

4. Chris3123

December 3rd

What it is:
    Clips from the Cardiff Christmas lights lighting event featuring the cast, including discussion of the show.

Available for non-UK fans? Being video, no. :(

ETA: I found a couple amateur videos of the lighting on Youtube for those who can't watch the videos on the BBC website:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81ebio2C86g&hd=1[/yt]
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x92qbNaZZvI&hd=1[/yt]

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

"we can't tell you because then we'd have to kill you. and there's 50,000 of you and that'd take a long time"

:guffaw:

6. Chris3123

December 4th

What it is: Ten wallpapers for "The Christmas Carol".

7. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

"santa hats are cool."

8. Chris3123

December 5th

What it is: Four printable Christmas cards.

Available for non-UK fans? Yes

9. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Many props to Chris for keeping us in the loop on the BBC calendar. I'm going to jump in here and add one additional link. The fan blog Whovian.net has also launched it's own adventure calendar, and I think it's worth mentioning here as well because they've also done stuff like create their own Christmas cards and they have also started uploading a serialized short story as well. This shouldn't be confused with the official BBC-related material, so I won't plug the thread with links. The Whovian advent calender can be found on the site's homepage at http://www.whoviannet.co.uk. Day 3 is of particular note as it contains Part 1 of the short story "A Leadworth Christmas". So far, all the material has been accessible internationally; since they are not connected to the BBC, I would assume this won't be an issue with whatever they end up posting.

They seem to be following the same type of schedule as the BBC, though, in that they don't actually update the calendar until later in the day.

I'm also keeping an eye on Paul Cornell's blog (paulcornell.com) as last year he did a 12 Blogs of Christmas in which he snuck in an exclusive short story called The Last Doctor.

Alex

10. Chris3123

December 6th

What it is: A game where they show you an image with someone's head obscured by a fez, and you have to guess who it is.

11. Chris3123

December 7th

What it is: Two screensavers: one based on Series 5 and one based on the Daleks.

12. Chris3123

Sorry for missing the past couple days.

December 8th

What it is: Part 1 of Matt Smith's Cracking Christmas Challenge:

Available for non-UK fans? No.

------------------------------------

December 9th

What it is: Part 1 of the Christmas themed story Snowfall, by Gavin Collinson.

December 10th

What it is: Part 1 of Snowfall: Cold Snap, by Mark B. Oliver. It's the story that one of the characters began to tell at the end of Snowfall Part 1.

Me and my family are going out of town tomorrow for about a week (Orlando :D), but hopefully I'll be able to use my dad's laptop or my iPod Touch to update this thread every day. Even if it is just for two people. :p

13. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Hopefully Chris is enjoying sunny Orlando! To help us keep up, here are the Adventure Calendar bits for the last few days.

Unfortunately, for some reason I am unable to get the link feature to work, so I'll have to be a bit messy about it:

December 11th
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/adventure_calendar_day_11

What it is: Trailer for A Christmas Carol

Available for non-UK fans? No. (As I haven't seen it reposted all over the place, I'm assuming it's probably the standard trailer.)

December 12th
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/adventure_calendar_day_12

What it is: The Christmas Questions: The Adventure Games Edition. Text Q&As with Nicholas Briggs, Barnaby Edwards and Phil Ford.

December 13th
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/adventure_calendar_day_13

What it is:
    Katherine Jenkins Christmas Questions. Text Q&A with the co-star of A Christmas Carol, plus a new publicity photo of the singer-turned-actress.

-------------------------------------
    December 14th
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw/news/adventure_calendar_day_14

What it is:
    Shadows of the Vashta Nerada - First Look. Slideshow of images from the fourth Adventure Games release, plus downloadable wallpaper and screensavers for PC and Mac.

Available for non-UK fans? Yes. (The screensaver can be downloaded, too, but I haven't tried installing it.)

Alex

14. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

15. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

16. Chris3123

Thanks 23skidoo for updating the thread while I was gone. :techman: I'll get back on it tomorrow.

17. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Welcome back! It's all yours!

Alex

18. Chris3123

December 18th

What it is: A clip from a special Doctor Who episode of the quiz show Eggheads, featuring Colin Baker, Frazer Hines, Louise Jameson, John Leeson and Katy Manning.

Available for non-UK fans? No.

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damnation. I would love to see that clip. Any hope it'll be on YouTube?

20. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral