General Pro Wrestling News and Discussion Thread Part Deux!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

^ At one stage the idea was that Chyna would capture the WWE Championship, this could have been in the works as early as January 1999 when Chyna was the 30th entrant into the Royal Rumble. Of course, lunacy would be called if Chyna were to go over someone like Steve Austin, so who knows how this scenario would have played out!

I've actually been reading Jericho's Undisputed today, it's actually a great read and I'm sure anyone who has read it will agree. The problems Jericho faced during his first few months with WWE are staggering to say the least, especially when you consider that nowadays somebody with the heat that he had would probably be released.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That would've been interesting. Is that the Rumble that Vince wound up winning that led to the Austin/McMahon Cage Match where Paul Wright debuted?

3. Mr Silver

Unfortunately...

I guess they reasoned that Steve Austin getting the hat trick was too much at that stage and they needed to come up with a new twist on the ongoing Austin/McMahon feud - which necessitated Vince winning the Rumble.

It's a sad state of affairs to think that back then there were no faces similar in caliber to Steve Austin who could win the Rumble and then go on to challenge The Rock at Wrestlemania. So instead they go take a massive detour which concludes with Austin going on to challenge Rock at Wrestlemania anyway!

Looking back, I can see the possibility of Rock dropping the WWE Championship to Triple H who would then in turn (cringes) drop the WWE Championship to Chyna at Wrestlemania. Then you could have Wrestlemania with Austin vs. McMahon in the main event along with Mick Foley vs. The Rock.

4. Admiral_Young

Ah what if's. My friends and I used to do alternate booking stuff all the time. Fun stuff! I also remember being pissed off...at both Vince's Rumble win, and when Wright was involved in the cage match. The catch match it's self was brilliant IMO up until that point. I get what they were trying to do...go for shock value (I knew Wright had signed with WWF at the time though) and built up immediate heat for Wright and like you said continue the McMahon/Austin feud.

5. Mr Silver

^ It was essentially a re-hash of the Bad Blood 97 HIAC finish where Kane made his debut, ripped the cell door off and attacked Taker allowing HBK to get the win.

6. Mr Silver

That promo of Cena's was cringeworthy, I'm glad that Jericho was allowed at least some "stick it to you" despite being a heel.

A four man MITB ladder match that involves Kane, Big Show, John Cena and Chris Jericho? I can only see this going one way and it's not a favourable one. I see John Cena winning and then announcing that he intends to cash in at Summerslam in a straight one on one match (because the superface can never take advantage) in which he will end the reign of CM Punk. Hopefully something will change between now and then...

7. Admiral_Young

If that happens...I'm definitely not watching post Summer Slam...although to be fair to John, considering that I originally thought we'd have a couple of Cena title reigns prior to the Rock match WWE creative has done well to keep the title on Punk.

I was able to watch the start of Raw and the Triple Threat Match...man...Vicki STILL has great heat. I can't believe I'm saying this...but I would be content with her back as a General Manager. Just for the heat sake :) It's a different kind of hatred with her than with Big Johnny from fans I think )

8. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I think you're right. I can't stand listening to Johnny Ace talk, whereas I hate the sound of Vicki Guerrero's voice. That may not sound like much of a difference at all, but it is.

Is it just me, or does it seem inevitable that A.J. will be reuniting with Daniel Bryan? It looks for all the world like that's where the storyline is headed. I mean, I won't discount the possibility of WWE pulling a swerve and NOT taking that direction, but methinks that would be giving them too much credit these days.

9. Admiral_Young

I thought that as well...she is just playing mind games with Kane and Punk, I wouldn't be surprised if this was all planned by Bryan and AJ :)

10. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seriously if john cena thinks vince is yoda he does'nt know vince very well.

11. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Interestingly, the 5-year anniversary of the Benoit family's murder/suicide came and went with nary a mention. I had completely forgotten until I heard someone mention it on the radio yesterday morning.

I saw elsewhere that Benoit has an article in the WWE encyclopedia back in 2009 that goes right up until he lost the World title to Randy Orton. Another edition of the encyclopedia is due for publication in September of 2012, and the author has been quoted that that Chris Benoit will again be featured.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  12. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't always agree with Vince McMahon... but, when I do, I like to think that Hell has frozen over.

13. Mr Silver

No, nobody can cover shit up and pretend it never happened. It's important for there to be historical accuracy and it's no different in wrestling. I think WWE is doing the best they can by acknowledging that Chris Benoit has held many of their accomplishments via their title and match history and in the Encyclopedia where it's recognised that he was a fixture in their company from 2000-2007, but promoting him in any way such as releasing a Chris Benoit DVD or action figure or even showing his matches on WWE classics is in spite of the fact that he is a murderer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad WWE chooses most of the time to leave Benoit matches (such as the tagged classics) on their DVDs for the sake of preserving historical events, but I don't think it would be right to suddenly start mentioning Chris Benoit trivially on programming.

14. Admiral_Young

It would appear that Brock will return on the 1000th episode of Raw, which I kind of expected.

http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/quicknews/article_62822.shtml

I guess they really did shoot the wad where it concerns his appearances right off the bat, if those contract reports were correct. I think it has hurt the momentum they had with his return frankly as mentioned before. Seeing Paul again has been nice, but he's no Brock. I believe it was also reported after his match against Cena he suffered an injury, so I guess it's possible he could be spending the time recuperating.

15. Mr Silver

^At the risk of coming across as an asshole - Probably not a good idea to call wrestlers by their real names dude, as it's seen as insulting by the wrestlers when fans do it (most wrestlers actually refer to each other by their in-ring names as a mark of respect and to accustom themselves with the ring name so as not to refer to their colleague by their real name during a promo, etc).

I'm just saying this as someone who respects the need for privacy and partitioning of work and home. We as fans pick everything about their performances apart, so in that respect the least we can do is refer to them by their performing names.

16. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I think he meant Paul Heyman (which is also his 'ring name').

17. Admiral_Young

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  18. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

Insult my arse. The only thing it does is make the fan look like a huge and total idiot. "oh look at me, I know this guys actual name".

19. Admiral_Young

I have used real names for a thread and a half now...no one has ever made a big deal about to me before. Admiral M...you aren't coming across as an ass, and I understand where you're coming from. Had no intention of being s'markish at all (should have known better frankly) so I'll refrain from doing so in the future :)

20. Mr Silver

TBH Dude, I have noticed it before and didn't say anything about it because it isn't really a big deal, it's just that it feels pretty smarky and snide and as fans we could at least give them the respect of using their ring names because we dig deep into everything else.

Something reminded me recently that it IS a big deal to wrestlers who take offence to fans calling them by their real names and I thought I'd bring it up, it's up to you dude to say what you want and how you want, but just be mindful that it's a big deal to wrestlers and some of the more acerbic fans will rip on you for it (a heck of a lot of wrestling fans are assholes these days).

Speaking of which, I get a lot of stick elsewhere for sharing unpopular opinions on wrestling. I don't buy into the shit about the wrestlers in the territorial days being the best of all time and the likes of Ric Flair being a god among men. Does anybody else get stick from other, less open minded wrestling fans?