Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Just went out and got Thunderchild, it's nice and weighty and rather grey!

2. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting. I think I might have to sign up. So, this is basically a $40 a month subscription, or am I reading that incorrectly?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  3. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, $40 per month gets you two ships, two magazine and some sort of "freebie" every six months (dedication plaque, Future E-D, etc.). These are probably the highest quality models I've ever seen.

They do have the special folders for the magazines. You get the first one free, and you can either choose to purchase more or not. (I opted out of the additional folders).

They also have special releases that are bigger and cost a little more. These are also optional. The first one was DS9, which was $40, but substantially larger than the typical release.

4. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks. I've been looking at reviews on Youtube. The only issue I have with these is the generic base they decided to use. I happened to see the one Hot Wheels uses for their Star Trek ships and got spoiled.:cool:

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Gotcha. I called them today and I guess that, since I changed my credit card info with them due to the Target hack thing, the DS9 one never got processed but the other standard issues are going through without any problems. So, I gave them my CC info for a one-time payment for DS9 and they said it should arrive within 21 days. No mention of supply problems and shortages, though. Hopefully they have that all worked out now. Plus, I made sure I opted-in for any future special releases like this one. Hopefully I won't have to change my CC for a while now to screw everything up again.

6. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Awesome, any chance of some pics? I love the Akira-class

7. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

I wish there was some way of seeing the sales figures for each ship. I wonder if it will spike for non-hero, less-common ships? It certainly seems that A LOT of us are chomping at the bit for the Akira. This is the first one in the series I've REALLY been waiting for.

8. mtblillie

mtblillie Captain Captain

Agreed, it really blows me away that no one has made one before.

9. 137th Gebirg

Heh... Someone else on another forum I frequent couldn't understand the popularity of the Akira, having experienced probably no more overall screen time in the entirety of Trek for more than 2 minutes. Another made a very good point - the Akira is the Boba Fett (original trilogy) of the Trek universe. Hardly ever seen, but supremely bad-ass looking and everyone wants to see more. The former being the reason why nobody has done anything official on it until now; the latter being the reason why somebody is finally doing something official on it now. It is the only good explanation I can come up with. :)

10. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah it's just a very cool looking design. And stands out from a lot of the other ships which are basically just the same design/layout but modified- Constitution, Excelsior, Galaxy, Ambassador, Sovereign, Intrepid, etc.
    (ie. a saucer section with the drive section underneath and two nacelles coming out of that.)

You can see why and how they were obviously influenced by it when designing the NX-01 for ENT.

11. 137th Gebirg

I only wish Polar Lights didn't stop their attempt at making a mass-market kit of the Akira in 1:1000 scale. Maybe one day...

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

13. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

looking forward to the Akira, but I gotta say that Jem'Hadar battleship looks pretty darn sweet.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

15. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I my order was placed on 30 Dec 2013 and was told 2-3 weeks. I also ordered issues 5-8 at the same time. Still nothing. Emailed them yesterday and got this reply this morning:

At this point, I'm betting will get issues 9&10 before 5-8 and DS9.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I believe Akira just came out yesterday, but everything in the USA is a pre-order, so Im looking to buy one on Ebay, nothing yet!

RAMA

17. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

It was out last Thursday, 23/01/2014.

Sorry it's taken me a whole week to get these done, but been kinda busy with work and lectures, hope you enjoy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Edit: Eagle Moss have not long posted this about the next Special Edition:

[​IMG]

link

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  18. BlueMetroid

BlueMetroid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I've got a dumb question that's probably already been answered somewhere in this thread, but here goes...

Are back issues/individual issues available to order? Or do I have to get a subscription? I'd love some of these ships. Others, not so much. It'd also be easier on my wallet to not be locked into $40 a month.

Thanks!

19. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

20. BlueMetroid

BlueMetroid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ok, thanks! Maybe I'll see if my local comic shop can order a few. What are the chances of me getting my hands on a DS9 or Defiant? Are they out yet?