The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    ^
    A rather rough estimate, mind you, but about 70-30 with me. I keep about two-thirds of everything in the box or on the blister card, the rest I open for display.

2. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

Also does anyone know if Art Asylum is actually still producing Trek figs/ships/tech? It seems like its been ages since anything has come out. The last thing I remember was the Communicator from Trek II. It was a faithful replica but I never understood why they picked such an awful prop to replicate.

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I take everything out of the box. These are miniature sculptures, not investments. In my eyes, they are meant to be taken out of the box and displayed. I love taking pictures of mine posed, as well. I've created a few mini-comics with my action figures before.

4. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

How do you decide what you're going to open and what stays in the box? Do you buy duplicates?

One of the things I started doing was buying open items if it was something that I knew that I wanted to display. They are cheaper and then I don't beat myself up about breaking the seals. It helps that I know if this great shop here on the Northside of Chicago that sells lots of used and vintage genre collectables for cheap. I've found all kinds of cool figs to decorate my desk at work.

5. cooleddie74

Duplicates usually determine what gets opened, yeah. Not always, mind you. Sometimes I'm able to get just one of something and if it was particularly hard to find or shipped in low numbers/quantities I leave it in the package because...well...you just don't know if you can get another one.

But the vast majority of what I've opened are duplicates and extras.

6. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd probably do that, If I had the original packaging, but since the 50 or so, modern Star Wars figures that I have, were bought second hand anyway, it's sort of a moot point.

7. cooleddie74

Now...the Trade Federation MTT Troop Transport with battery-powered sound effects, motorized rack and 21 included figures? That's coming out of the big box and getting played with when it comes. You can't even remotely appreciate and enjoy a vehicle like that unless you take it out and mess around with it.

Can't wait for it! That thing looks so sweet.

8. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

I always take mine out of the box.

I may even take Hawkeye with me on my vacation and take photos of him on the road. :lol: I've been seeing a lot of that kind of stuff on tumblr. "And here is Hawkeye at Cracker Barrell..."

9. cooleddie74

"Hawkeye at the Ozzy Osbourne concert..."

That sounds like it could be awesome. :devil:

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everything is busted wide open unless I have a duplicate (which isn't that many, to be honest).

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Not for themselves, but for Diamond Select Toys, last I heard. DST is still advertising some Trek stuff in various comic books and magazines, including the (still) coming soon Enterprise-E.
    To go with the fairly popular-selling Star Trek II phaser. Personally, I kind of like the TWOK communicator, but it doesn't really mesh design-wise with the phaser, IMO.

12. OdoWanKenobi

Looks like some SDCC dealers got their hands on the last wave of The Dark Knight Rises Movie Masters. The mystery figure is:
    Ra's Al Ghul
    Color me happy. I can't wait to get my hands on him, both because I love the character and I want to complete my batsignal.

13. cooleddie74

One of my two SDCC Carbonite Chamber Action Figure Sets just shipped from San Diego! :)

The other one should ship in the next day or so. Can't wait! An entire, brand new wave of Vintage Collection figures that aren't in stores yet is inside this set!

14. OdoWanKenobi

Another day, another Batman Movie Masters pic. I thinking of making one a day in anticipation. Any ideas? I have Batman, Bane, Catwoman, Gordon, and Alfred available from the movie.
    [​IMG]

15. cooleddie74

^
    Sheer Win.

:techman:

I'm just glad that the new Bane is menacing and believable. The 1997 version from the Clooney film was just an embarrassing joke...like the movie itself. That Bane couldn't scare an infant.

16. PopBoy

PopBoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They should do a Ellen Ripley Barbie doll. I'd soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo buy hundreds.

17. cooleddie74

^
    With a little Newt doll!

"They mostly collect us at night.

Mostly."

18. PopBoy

PopBoy Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

and newt would come with her very own doll...aka Casey

19. cooleddie74

I like the way you think.

You'll go far in this thread, my friend. :bolian:

20. OdoWanKenobi

Then give us a Kane with chestbusting action!