Does DS9 have the fan-countenace to warrant an HD/remaster release?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Terran_Empire, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Terran_Empire

Terran_Empire Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I will also aim this question towards Voyager and Enterprise aswell (although in the case of Enterprise an HD release might simply come about due to the ease of time and cost to get it into that format).

TOS recieved the HD/remaster treatment and I think we can agree that was most welcomed. If the series is going to coninue to entertain us in an era where everything is high-def, crisp and clear it needed desperately to "refit"(pun intended). Of course, more importantly than us fans, are all the "possible fans" that would logically want to start their Star Trek experience with the original that spawned them all, and of course to the younger audiences of today, TOS before remastering might have seemed like a daunting task to even sit through. The point I am trying to make here is that we, the established fans, were only part of the market that the remaster project was aimed at.

Now TNG is also getting released in HD, with all glory of the remastering treatment. TNG, in many ways resonates with todays sci-fi stronger than TOS, it has around the same strength of fan support as TOS(if not more), and I am sure that is why CBS decided to go ahead with TNG: The Next Level, despite the extra time and cost it would take to get TNG remastered compared with TOS(episode for episode of course), they reasoned that the fanbase is large, devoted, and fresh enough for them to purchase the HD release and for syndication.

With DS9 though, I am not so sure. The show was never has popular as TOS or TNG, even in its prime, and at times it becomes a blacksheep amongst the core fans of Trek aswell (sometimes Voyager is viewed this way and other times its Enterprise). From what I understand, DS9 and VOY will require the same painstaking method of remaster that TNG is currently going through, so the question stands; Does DS9 command a large enough market to justify the money being forked over by CBS?

This question will be partly answered by the sales figures of TNG HD but even if TNG does well, it won't mean that DS9 would sell half as well. I guess CBS will release another sampler for DS9 at least to wage customer interest but then again sampler-sales are not a very accurate way of predicting actual product sales.

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Re: Does DS9 have the fan-countenace to warrant an HD/remaster release

Yes.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

DS9 is my favorite series. I fully support a Blu-ray remastering.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  4. dulcimer47

dulcimer47 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Agreed. I'll buy. Maybe CBS/Paramount should do an online poll...

5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That statement is made more often, but has no real basis in fact. It did have lower ratings, but at a time where ratings for SF were going down already. Someone posted a graph for Star Trek ratings since TNG, and it was a decline at one point for al series, Star Trek as a whole was becoming less populair.

As for DS9 being the black sheep..... The only fans making comments like that, are fans who feel that TNG was the last REAL Trek, and there are fans who feel everything after TOS is not real Trek. It depends on who you ask.

If you ask around on this forum in general, you'll find that DS9 has a huge fanbase. Now, wether or not this is enough to warrant a HD remastering.... Let's hope so.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Short answer I think they'll do it. The question is how will the CGI shots look in HD as they are. If they still exist on computer somewhere. Otherwise it'll be redoing them.

7. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

Like other posters, I also do not buy into the myth that DS9 is not popular enough to remaster, nor the similar myth that DS9 is not popular enough for there to have been a DS9 movie.

DS9 is very popular now, probably even more so than it was when it originally aired - at least among hardcore Trek fans, who are the only ones who would buy any Trek home video products anyway.

At least one of the writers of DS9 said that it sold very well on DVD when the DVDs first came out.

Many years later, everyone who wants the DVDs already has them. Therefore, Paramount is going to have to do something new with the IP in order to keep making money from it. Remastering is one of the best ways to do that.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Enterprise was shot in HD. There's no remastering necessary at all, there. It's just the cost of printing the blurays vs. projected revenue.

It'll be about how well TNG-HD sells. First one to fail, dooms the rest (in whichever order they choose - although I'd imagine they'd put Voyager before DS9 due to the popularity of Seven)

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Aside from Blu-ray sales there is another thing to consider, HD TV sales. Though by doing TNG they'll be able to refine the process somewhat.

10. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd love to see DS9 in HD. With all those intricate sets and alien characters walking around, DS9 is probably the most highly-detailed of the Trek series just in terms its actual setting.

11. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I remember the production staff commenting how the DS9 sets were of film quality.