Green Lantern: Grading, Review, Discuss, Tracking, Sequel?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jun 16, 2011.

?

How would you grade Green Lantern?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2012.
  1. A+

5 vote(s)
    3.5%
  2. A

7 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. A-

11 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. B+

20 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. B

18 vote(s)
    12.7%
  6. B-

23 vote(s)
    16.2%
  7. C+

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. C

15 vote(s)
    10.6%
  9. C-

13 vote(s)
    9.2%
  10. D+

4 vote(s)
    2.8%
  11. D

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.1%
  13. F

10 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And IMO Michael Madsen was perfect as Kilowog.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Strong was great; so were Duncan and Rush. I've watched some of the cartoons but don't remember them particularly well.

3. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

davejames

Well technically Transformers is a far, far better produced piece. Sure the story is stupid and the characterization is nearly non existent. But the whole visual aspect of the film is superior to GL.

As for story, acting, and dialogue both are fairly poor across the board.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Kind of sad this movie made less than $150 million...I just didn't think it was bad enough to warrant this sort of indifference in a summer movie climate of blockbuster action movies. I watched part of Transformers 3 and it's just so stupid I can't believe anyone would prefer it over GL...and I actually LIKED the first Transformers movie mind you...

RAMA

5. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I don't get the collapse or the pile-on. Lantern wasn't great, but it wasn't the abomination the critics made it out to be. I think the near universal negative reviews from the critics really helped sink this film. It didn't help though that the film was just average and didn't have much to stave off the heavy condemnation. I wonder if it had been released in February or March, without all the stiff competition, if that would've helped it.

6. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

In terms of box office, of course, it's clear that there's no question about to this statement. In terms of critical reaction, well, it's a 39 versus a 42 on Metacritic -- practically a dead heat.

7. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

&
    I think the difference is that TF3 has no pretension whatsoever. You know, going in, that it's going to be Big Loud And Stupid™. It's pure cinematic spectacle without regard to anything other than visual (and maybe aural) stimulation. Meanwhile, GL tried, HARD, to be something that it, clearly, wasn't meant to be. Trying to portray your test-piloting, supermodel-banging hero as an "every day Joe" is preposterous at best (true the hero in TF3 has a supermodel girlfriend, but at least he's going through what a LOT of people are struggling with these days: trying to find a job). At worst, it's the very height of pretension. As a result, people are more than willing to pile on in trashing a film that, while merely mediocre (and certainly not a failure), is so completely tone deaf to the current zeitgeist.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, between the critics not understanding the character or universe at all, and the comic fans being pissed that it wasn't some huge, epic space movie (alongside the fact they just don't like Reynolds as Hal), the negative buzz was just too much for it to overcome I think.

The people like me who were kind of in the middle of those extremes, and just wanted to see a fun little superhero movie, were probably able to enjoy it the most.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I knew that, but I had no idea JUST how big loud and stupid Tran3 was going to be...they literally had characters screaming for 10 secs at a time. I think half the script was screaming...

RAMA

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't sense any pretention in GL at all. And I certainly don't see how Hal being a jock qualifies. The fear stuff might have been pushed a little hard, and may not have been completely believable coming from Reynolds, but it was all still fairly standard, comic booky stuff anyway (and not much different than all the cheesy "lessons" we heard in the Spidey movies).

To me, pretentious is the SW prequels, or Matrix sequels. GL doesn't even come CLOSE to that. It was just trying to be a fun little supehero movie.

11. Greylock Crescent

See ... that's what I don't understand. At this point, how can anyone NOT know what to expect out of a Michael Bay film -- particularly a Bayformers film?

I think the other problem with GL (other than its mediocrity) is that the film looks like a comic book come to life. The whole point of a live-action film is to translate the comics into an entirely different aesthetic. And yet GL, with its combination of the suit & mask, the alien settings, the aliens themselves ... it looks like it ought to have been an animated film. In fact, had the film been presented as pure CGI (or traditional animation) I guarantee that, at the very least, the critical reception would be much more forgiving.

Perhaps we're interpreting pretension differently, then. Which is certainly a possibility. But, to me, trying to portray Hal as a sympathetic, aw-shucks character while he's got this charmed life is the very definition of pretentiousness. Especially considering the film tries, HARD, to convey the thematic element of confronting and accepting one's fear. I think audiences and critics would be more open to such a theme if the main character wasn't a cocky, ladies-man test pilot. If you don't see it that way, that's cool. I don't think you're wrong. But I think my interpretation is, at least in part, why some reviewers reveled in criticizing the film.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Obviously Tran3 hit a new level of loud stupidity previously unseen...although I had the misfortune of watching Armageddon, and that was pretty dire as well.

RAMA

13. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Also, I don't think the film was pushing Hal Jordan as anything OTHER than a jock...I don't think he was shown as an everday Joe at all. He is obviously a unique individual as evidenced by being chosen by the ring.

RAMA

14. Greylock Crescent

Right. The whole family scene ... Reynolds' entire performance ... none of it tried to portray Hal Jordan as anything but a truly exceptional, better-than-the-audience character. Come to think of it, such a portrayal would be ... I dunno ... pretentious?

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

So exceptional human beings don't have family life???:lol:

It IS true that Jordan tried to fake out Hector Hammond by saying he had expectations put upon him and such, but those were expectations of someone unique, not an avg Joe.

RAMA

16. Greylock Crescent

You miss the point. Most every-day Joes aren't test-piloting, model-banging egomaniacs who neglect the vast majority of their families. That GL tried to portray Hal Jordan as an every-day Joe who, oh by the way, is a test pilot who wakes up with models and neglects the vast majority of his family, is the basis of the why I believe the film is pretentious.

You don't see it that way? Fine. But the vast majority of moviegoers decided not to see the film -- to the point where it literally bombed at the box office. And I'm pretty sure that my perspective is at least part of the reason why.

17. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well its hard to say why people didn't see it...lots of sheep around these days who only judge by critics. Word of mouth wasn't strong...suggesting it just wasn't gripping enough for people to recommend it. Strong competition is another reason...both from action movies and other superhero movies. I think that "concept" foes like Parallax don't do as well with audiences, and nerdy Hector Hammond didn't make up for that by giving it a "humanized" element. Hal Jordan pretentiously portrayed as an everyman jock...probably not high on the list avg moviegoer didn't see it.

For myself I like certain moments and parts better than the overall movie. For a superhero movie it has a stratospheric background saga compared to others, but with middle-of-the-pack execution. Still, I think the scenes on Oa are iconic.

RAMA

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  18. Greylock Crescent

For what it's worth, I loved the thematic foundation of the story: the power of Will vs. the power of Fear. Parallax, as the embodiment of Fear, works on a symbolic level. I just think the film did a poor job of connecting that theme to the audience. The alien worlds and cartoonish visuals were a hindrance; Hal as a test-pilot jock -- as the supposed symbolic embodiment of Will -- was a hindrance. That's not to say that it's impossible for viewers to make the intended connections, but considering the presentation, it's not surprising that most people opted not to even bother putting their arses into theater seats (and why critics were so happy to criticize the film).

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt it.

The movie hasn't done all that well.

You have a theory.

There's literally no connection between these two things.

Moving on...

I'm going to see this again tomorrow evening, despite it no longer showing in 3D near here. I hate to pay to see a 3D adventure movie flat, but them's the breaks.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

It always gets pointed out, maybe not here but about the net, that movies aren't solely made for comic fans. That's true. It's always noted, accurately I'll add, that there aren't enough dollars to just make a movie for the diehards or even the occasional comic book fan of a character. I just want to note the converse and point out comic fans could've not shown up and the movie would still have a total of $95-$100m, we just aren't that big.

This movie died because it was made for general audiences, like any movie, and it was a mess. Word of Mouth + reviews confirmed that overall it was a "wait for DVD" movie.