Stargate SG1: How does everyone speak English?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's just say some of us like waving our hands more energetically than others.

2. Electric Coleslaw

Electric Coleslaw Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

3. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's the novel Cost of Honor that explains it, which takes place between "The Enemy Within" and "Emancipation." At first SG-1 doesn't understand the other languages (as in the film and "Children of the God"), but when they travel from a stargate with a DHD to another planet (so neither terminus is Earth), they begin to perceive everyone as speaking in English. Daniel and Sam suggest it's a software function of the DHDs, and Sam implies she'll analyze a DHD and add the program to the Earth 'gate.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^hmmm, that sounds familiar. ;)

5. Silvercrest

Just curious: Does that novel cover how the Abydonians, Teal'c, and some of the Chulak prisoners spoke English in COTG?

The Abydonians are still covered if Daniel taught them English prior to COTG. The others are a problem.

6. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Teal'c was Apophis's First... He was in charge of intelligence about the Tau'ri and their native language before, during and after the incursion. What he never told anybody (because no one bothered to ask), he is just as gifted with alien languages as Daniel.
    In anticipation of his rebellion he secretly taught the prisoners as well in case the Tau'ri leader is one he can follow!

How is that?

7. Silvercrest

Works for me!

8. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks, of course I pulled that out of my behind. I didn't read the novel. ;)

9. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Of course there is one potential small problem with the stargate travel theory. How about when the stargate step is skipped all together and they beam from a ship to a planet.

10. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Then why is Daniel the only one that knows Goua'ld and why do the Jaffa still speak it at time and not others?

11. Silvercrest

^
    The Ancients were pissed enough at the Goa'uld that they left their language out of the DHD on purpose.

No worries, that's what I figured. :techman: This is all pulled out of our respective orifices as far as I'm concerned. MacLeod's technicality proves it.

12. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not that I remember. It's just a small bit at the beginning, really; it's not a novel about translation mechanics.

13. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was probably programmed by the same person who did Starfleet's universal translators. They tended to do the same thing, especially with Klingonese, where they would for no reason at all just not translate words or entire phrases and force someone, likely Worf, to translate it for everyone else.

14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The universal translator read the script, just like the doors, which always knew when someone really wanted to leave, or when they just wanted to deliver a speech directly in front of the door before making a dramatic exit. ;)