Let's Talk About Horror Fiction and Film

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Spaceman Spiff, Oct 10, 2007.

1. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

Horns by Joe Hill. Not really a straight "horror" novel, but one of the best novels in the genre that I've read recently.

The concept is a bit like Stephen King meets Franz Kafka's The Metamorphosis. A young man wakes up, after blacking out during a night of drunken grieving over his murdered girlfriend, to discover that he has grown a pair of horns from his forehead.

Then things begin to get really weird, as people begin to confess their ugliest, most shameful thoughts to him, and he discovers that he has the power to make people act on these dark desires.

Highly recommended. :devil:

Lucifer's Lottery by Edward Lee is good too, and may be of interest to Lovecraft fans. It's part of Lee's "City Infernal" series. A seminarian is informed that he has won an infernal lottery: if he gives his soul to the Devil, he will receive not only whatever he wants on earth, but a privileged place in the hierachy of Hell after death. The damned soul who is assigned to guide him on his tour of Edward Lee's version of Hell is none other than H. P. Lovecraft.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  2. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ Both of those sound like good ideas, especially the first one. But I'm curious as to how Lovecraft ended up damned.

Yeah, they're really great. I wish I could afford more of their stuff. But I've gotten both of their movies and all of their radio shows and none have been less than excellent. I've also given a a couple of their radio shows as gifts. I wish they would do more. :mallory:

3. Goliath

:confused:

You mean, aside from being a strong and antireligious atheist?

4. RJDiogenes

Oh, right. That. :rommie:

5. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

6. RJDiogenes

That looks great. :D

Has anybody seen this one?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOHJUrcVdJk[/yt]

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

8. Goliath

:lol:

How the mighty have fallen!

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The series I read features an enemy of no name which resembles a massive black serpent miles long, seems a little Lovecraftian now I think about it.

10. RJDiogenes

11. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Hello Cthulhu is amusing. http://www.hello-cthulhu.com/?date=2003-12-01

On another Cthulhu topic, has anyone picked up the Barnes and Noble hardcover complete collection of HP Lovecraft? They have it here in Seoul at a local bookstore. They tend to plastic wrap things that customers may over handle to keep up the resale so I couldn't peek inside to see for myself.

12. RJDiogenes

I haven't seen it. I have a complete Lovecraft collection that I bought in the early 80s, but it's not all in one volume.

13. Gov Kodos

Looking at Amazon, it's supposed to be fairly complete. It doesn't have works he co-wrote with others according to one of the reviews, but has all his own written works. I may pick it up today. I've wanted a good complete collection of his stuff for some time.

14. RJDiogenes

It's good to have a complete collection of Lovecraft, just don't read it straight through. :rommie:

15. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

A local channel has become a Me-TV affiliate, which means I now get Svengoolie on Saturday nights. I've watched three so far and really enjoyed them. I don't know how he gets the money to play the films he does, but it's great seeing genuine classics with a horror host, instead of the same public domain movies over and over.

House of Frankenstein, Abbott and Costello Go to Mars, and Duck Soup. Yeah, the latter two aren't horror, but it's great seeing them, anyway. (Better than another showing of The Killer Shrews!) For Duck Soup, he changed his black make-up to look like Groucho.

Tomorrow night is Son of Frankenstein. I've never been so looking forward to a broadcast of a movie I own on DVD. :lol:

16. RJDiogenes

We just got MeTV recently here, too (used to be RetroTV or something). They've got a great lineup, but unfortunately the local affiliate still pads their programming with a ton of infomercials so we're not getting everything. No Svengoolie (or Love, American Style for that matter, but that's kind of off-topic :rommie:). I'm hoping they expand their coverage as time goes on.

17. Gov Kodos

Love, American Style, I miss that silly show.

18. RJDiogenes

Same here. I used to watch it faithfully back in the day. Sadly, only the first season has been released on DVD.

19. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

When checking your listings for Svengoolie, be sure to check for movies on Saturday night. My listings never list the show as "Svengoolie," they always list whatever movie he's showing. I wouldn't have found him if I hadn't stumbled across the random showing of House of Frankenstein.

20. RJDiogenes

Yeah, they just go off the air at 10pm every night, come back on for a couple of hours in the middle of the night, then go off again until mid morning. I checked their schedule on their website, so I know what's supposed to be on, but so far there's been nothing but infomercials. I usually tape the Sciffy movie anyway, but I'd like to be able to see Svengoolie every so often. I like the whole Horror Host tradition. We actually have a local one around here who is shown on one of our cable access stations, by the name of Penny Dreadful. My mother works part-time at the station that serves as her home base, but has not yet actually done any work for that show.