The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Re: A personal take on... that movie

So...what? It's an alternate reality.
    Crusher was, so it's obviously an option, if not one that is widely taken.
    He was clearly established to be a whiz-kid who was advanced more than was normal.
    That's just what Spock wants to do.
    Kirk explicitly notes that it's contrary to regulation.

2. gwud

gwud Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Emotional Detachment?

Vader47000, I agree with you (almost) completely; I enjoyed every minute of the film, but when Vulcan was destroyed it stopped being really Star Trek as I see it, which is a shame. Still an excellent film though.

3. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Emotional Detachment?

^^But it is Star Trek. Alternate reality and all that. Universe A, remember? Just go with the flow, guys.

4. zakfa

zakfa Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was on the fence ever since hearing about the new movie. I wasn't exactly excited about re-casting the original actors. Probably the most shocking thing to me is how I wasn't bothered by it at all after watching the movie. In fact, I thought everyone did a wonderful job in their roles.

The movie isn't perfect by any means, and I really hated the corvette scene, but this is a good introduction to this new universe. It's just going to be hard waiting for the sequel.

5. cyberengland

cyberengland Ensign Red Shirt

This is a great movie. It really is. The only serious complaint I would have is the complete lack of understanding of what a black hole is and how it functions... but how geeky of a complaint is that? Come on, people

I think it was genius to create an alternate "Mirror, Mirror" inspired timeline, just so that people with my level of knowledge cannot say "Hey, you got that wrong". We can't say that, becuase it's an alternate timeline and anything can happen in it. I, personally, think that was a brilliant decision because they could never "get it right" on every detail as they would need to if they were going to succeed with the Trekkers like me. I think it was the right decision.

This is a great movie. If you have never liked Star Trek, you might like this new version, which I hope they make at least 9 more movies with this new cast, or even create a brand new TV series using this cast. If you are a hard-core Trekker, just go into it knowing that this is not your father's Star Trek, this is a "Mirror, Mirror"-like alternate timeline. Same characters, same Star Fleet... new universe.

Some Trekkers are just too hard core. It isn't possible to go back in time and give you Shattner, Nimoy, and Doohan all over again. And it is certainly not possible to re-do the series and keep with the original perfectly. A lot of mistakes would be made. The alternate timeline was the best choice, I think. So for the "too hard core Trekkers", I say that you ought to realize that and like the new version for what it is (the best science fiction movie I've seen in at least a decade) and stop insisting that JJ Abrams begin channeling Gene Rodenberry.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  6. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

Of course it is. We just need to get our hands on a little red matter...

7. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Trek XI was nearly a shower of shit for me. Okay it wasn't that bad and I did vote average in the poll. I thought Urban was awesome as the new McCoy. Both Ryder and Cross were impressive in their short moments onscreen. The rest of the cast didn't do badly but there weren't there any standouts.

The plot suffers the same fate as Nemesis with its villain who hatches this rather nonsensical and grand-standing plan that one would find in any 007 movie. Like Shinzon Nero was also very very dull. Honestly I would prefer the next movie not have this single madman villain archetype or a villain at all.

Nitpick

I don't like design of the engineering sections. The grotesque amount of exposed pipings, valves, wisps of steam/smoke everywhere, etc gave me an impression of that the Enterprise is some 20th century distillation-based industrial facility. If JJ wanted a more gritty look he could've looked at some engine rooms on the Nimitz carriers.

Note: I did mention before that I wasn't going to to see this at all. Somehow I was dragged into seeing it.

8. Saxman1

Saxman1 Commodore Commodore

My rating: EXCELLENT! I am 49 and saw TOS first run and have at least liked all incarnations of Star Trek with the exception of the TNG films (bleh & meh). Ready to duck, but I think this is by far the best Star Trek film ever. I'm one of those rare fans who feels the first two films were perhaps the strongest in the series for differing reasons, but even so, I think "Star Trek" is best.

Why? There is a real heart to the film many have missed who are already hating or made up their minds to hate this new picture. The wife and I were in tears a few minutes into the film with Jim's birth/his father's death saving lives. The destruction of Vulcan, the Enterprise rising, the determination of the crew to succeed and work as a team against a superior starship from the future, all those things really tugged at the heartstrings.

Old Spock was magnifient: I was thrilled he wasn't killed off like he would have been had Berman and company made this picture (see Kirk and Data for a prime example).

The timeline has been reset so Kirk doesn't have to die on that collapsing bridge helping Picard! I love it! They can go wherever they want to with the next film! They don't ever have to visit Picard or any of that generaton if they don't want to. I loved TNG & DS9, liked parts of VOY and ENT, but always has my warmest regards towards TOS crew/characters. Love the new cast!

It's great to be excited about Star Trek again! Like the first Narnia film, it seemed to last about 10 minutes. I couldn't belive it was over!

We're taking my mom to see it ASAP - she's a huge fan, too!

9. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Saw it today.

This was not Star Trek.

These could have been any characters, in any science fiction setting. There was nothing Star Trek about this movie.

Product placements for Budweiser and Nokia? Give me a fucking break.

10. bismarck_1892

bismarck_1892 Captain Captain

Don't forget to vote.:drool::lol:

11. cyberengland

cyberengland Ensign Red Shirt

Well, Bacl, you are entitled to hate this movie. That is your choice about how you feel about it. However, if your opinion is right, then that means the vast majority of us here on this board are wrong about Star Trek XI. I have seen this movie, and I place it in the top five of Star Trek movies. I believe that the great success of this movie will lead to more excellent movies set in this new alternate reality. Hopefully, in the future, we will all be able to look back and say that Star Trek XI was the catalyst for another excellent and new Star Trek series for TV.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope, those were the original Star Trek characters, real and whole. This was pure Star Trek. :)

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Any characters who:

Walk with an arrogant swagger and glance sidelong at attractive women.

Say things like, "dammit, I'm a doctor" and "are you out of your Vulcan mind?!"

Are Russian but, in contrast to the Russian accent, pronounce their "v's" as "w's."

Are fencing aficionados and of Asian decent.

Speak with a heavy Scottish brouge, fancies the liquor and says things like "I've given ya' all she got!"

Are emotionless half-breeds with burst-fits of emotion.

Yep.

These could've been ANY characters.

14. I'm going to see it again tomorrow night. I CANT WAIT!!!! :)

15. S'kai

S'kai Captain Captain

So you think it is that easy to go on board and take pictures inside the Nuclear Wessels?

16. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it again today and still thought it was great. The audience liked it too although the sneak preview crowd was a little more lively. I think McCoy did call for Nurse Chapel when Kirk revived in sickbay.

17. awesomeocalypse

awesomeocalypse Ensign Red Shirt

I probably shouldn't be posting here.

You see, I've been a nerd all my life. Grew up on Batman comics and Lord of the Rings and Star Wars and eventually William Gibson and Blade Runner and Swamp Thing and Primer and Akira and George R.R. Martin and pretty much every other legendary geek franchise or work, plus many others that weren't even close to being legendary (or, you know, even any good).

But I have never been a Star Trek fan.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate it. I've seen a bunch of episodes of the original series (my dad is a huge fan), and thought them reasonably entertaining television. Same for the Next generation, and Wrath of Khan and First Contact, which are the only movies I've seen. I found them all to be solidly enjoyable (I cannot, however, say the same for whatever the most recent show was, the one with Scott Bakula. Caught like 10 minutes of it and then hastily changed the channel).

But I never got what all the fuss was about. I felt reasonably entertained, but never felt thrilled in my gut. I didn't feel like I simply had to see more, to know more. My dad tried valiantly to indoctrinate me, but failed. I never, ever thought in my life that I would say that a Star Trek movie was one of my favorite films.

That all changed when I saw this movie. I was completely and utterly blown away. I felt like a little kid again. When it was over it felt like the 2 hours had gone by in 15 minutes. I choked up at the sad parts, I thrilled at the excitement, I laughed at the humor. Every single major crew member kicked ass. Simply put, for the first time I got what my dad always tried to make me understand, about the sheer wonder of this universe, and of the brilliance of these characters. Was it flawless in some technical, abstract evaluation of plot and technique? No. Too much lens flare, some forced humor here and there, a forgettable (albeit well-acted) villain. But it was absolutely flawless in the sense that it was a perfect moviegoing experience for me.

I went with my dad (a lifelong fan), my girlfriend (the only scifi she likes are Wall-E, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Cormac McCarthy's The Road), and a few good friends (all 3 of them geeks, but only 1 a big star trek fan). Every one of us loved it. My dad is so happy, not only that this movie was made for him, but that I like it too, that he can finally share at least a little of this passion of his with me. My girlfriend just couldn't stop saying, "I can't believe how much I liked it".

I am going to see it again. I will buy the DVD. I will see the sequel, and would watch any series they spin out of this. Not only that, but I've decided to give the original Star Trek another try, to see if it finally clicks for me in a way it didn't in my youth. JJ Abrams did what my dad never did--he made me a convert (though I still can't promise I'll watch that Scott Bakula nonsense).

18. Feofilakt

Feofilakt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought there were no more corporations in the Federation :confused:

How did they make it through the crippling world war and economic restructuring???

19. James Bond

James Bond Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. And not only that, but how did General Motors, Ford, GE, and others survive World War I AND World War II??

I smell a canon rape.. :mad:

20. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

No, it means that the "vast majority" have a differing opinion. That does not mean either perspective is "wrong". Mathmatical questions have right and wrong answers. Perceptions of the quality of the film do not.