The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

The day has finally arrived. The four decade-old Star Trek franchise is getting a reboot with a new movie featuring a new set of actors playing the iconic crew of the starship Enterprise. It's history in the making and we're here to witness it.

Welcome to the grading & discussion thread for this new movie, simply titled Star Trek. This is the place where you can grade the movie in the poll above and post your thoughts about any and every aspect of the film. Also, if you're interested, there are two other existing discussion threads where those who saw an advance screening have already posted their thoughts and reviews. One thread contains spoilers and is located here, and one is spoiler free and is located here. This thread will contain spoilers, so beware.

Now without further delay...

STAR TREK

[​IMG]

"The fate of the galaxy rests in the hands of bitter rivals. One, James Kirk (Chris Pine,) is a delinquent, thrill-seeking Iowa farm boy. The other, Spock (Zachary Quinto,) was raised in a logic-based society that rejects all emotion. As fiery instinct clashes with calm reason, their unlikely but powerful partnership is the only thing capable of leading their crew through unimaginable danger, boldly going where no one has gone before!" - TrekToday

2. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Thread pinned and locked. To be re-opened in time for general screenings beginning on May 6.

See you then. :)

3. M'Sharak

Or May 5, as it turns out, depending upon where you happen to be located. Since I've been advised that at least one TBBS member is watching the movie in general release right now and will shortly be ready to comment on it, I'll open this up now. Those who've been able to see one or more of the advance screenings, you're welcome to chime in with your grading and comments, too.

There will almost certainly be MANY SPOILERS BELOW!!!, so if those are something you're still trying to avoid, you will probably want to exit this thread right now and remain out until after you've seen the movie for yourself.

Thanks are due to Agent Richard07 for making this thread and setting up the poll. :techman:

Aaaaaand action!

4. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have nothing to offer to this thread at the moment :p...
    other than that I believe the poll should have been made public.
    So we see who votes what.

5. Aike

Aike Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek is back! 5/5.

6. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

It may have been best in this case not to make it public, as I'm sure M'Sharak doesn't want to deal with any possible lynchings. Plus people are probably more likely to give an honest vote if they don't think they'll be called out on an opinion they don't feel like giving.

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't know.
    As I've noticed from many tv show polls around here, people tend to vote Excellent or Poor long before they've seen an episode. That could easily happen here now.

And lets not forget those who hate the movie and have said that they will not see it. Nothing stops them from voting poor now.

In general, I think a public poll is a better, more accurate poll.
    But we'll see:)

8. M'Sharak

That's always happened, though, and one just learns to allow for that in reading the poll results. We're not claiming scientific accuracy, or anything, and even the big, professional polls have a built-in margin for error.

That, too, has always happened, and there's nothing you can do to prevent it without making each individual vote subject to approval. (I know I don't want that job. :eek: ) Based on results of previous polls, you can figure there'll be eight or ten or twelve automatic "hated it" votes which you're free to count or not count as you see fit.

I'm fine with it as is, really. People are mostly honest, and if they want to tell how they voted, then they can say so in a post. If they'd rather skip having someone get up their nose about it, then this allows them to remain anonymous. No problem. :)

9. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I give it an excellent. The movie is not flawless, but it brings the spirit of Trek back to the big screen, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself at the theater.

10. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Saw it this evening at a press screening. Excellent.

I'm still a bit dizzy due to the emotional overload, more comments later.

Wow.

11. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where's the poll option for "Robauriffic"?

12. TGTheodore

TGTheodore Writer Admiral

As I mentioned in the previous incarnation of this thread, I was THOROUGHLY entertained by this movie. It goes in so many ingenious (and different) directions to end up with the original TOS crew.

The pace is great and the art direction really nice.

Main flaws: weak villain and the framing story. Didn't matter to me, though. I didn't think of those flaws while enjoying the flick. Only came to me a few hours later.

This old Trek writer and pitcher's rating: Excellent

--Ted

13. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

copied from another thread as I'm too tired to write any more right now:

I love the movie. I had trepidations to begin with and the film does have faults. but the emotional impact of the movie is so powerful that it overshadows all drawbacks.

it's a movie that touches you deeply and makes you feel happy to be alive. always a good thing.

14. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

A packed audience!
    [​IMG]

Good Lord that was awesome! The only thing that really sucked donkey balls was the fact that it ended! :eek:

Spoilers, obviously:

THE STORY:
    The movie begins (and ends at the end of the credits) with the ping noise. There are many noises taken from TOS, btw.The audience is literally sucked into action ( :lol: ) as the Narada overpowers the Kelvin. Robau is taken prisoner and the crew could monitor his bio-signs on the main viewer, well until the big red letters TERMINATED appear! George Kirk is in command and orders the evacuation of the ship, including his wife who's in labor. There's a touching scene when George and Winona discuss the baby's name. We officially learn that Tiberius was George's father and Jim, Winona's. The Kelvin crashes into Nero's ship. And I think it crippled it for the next 25 years, until Old Spock appears in the timeline.
    Then we skip to a parallel b/w Kirk and Spock, how they grew up. Young Kirk steals the 'vett and Greg Grunberg provides the voice of the uncle via an obvious Nokia placement (JJ, I thought you had an agreement with Apple :wtf: ) and on Vulcan, Spock is being verbally bullied by his schoolmates. A funny thing though, the scene reminded me a lot of TVH when Spock interacted with the computer (you know, the "nothing unreal exists" scene).
    Years later, Pike meets Kirk during the bar brawl scene. He dares him to become a captain in 2x4 years.
    The main timeline takes place 3 years later. So this is the year James T. Kirk defeats the Kobayashi Maru scenario (which is Spock's "baby") and eventually becomes Captain of the Enterprise. And no, there is no Farragut in between. Even though we clearly hear Paul McGillion assigning cadets to the Farragut, so it's clearly an alternate reality. The writers know their Trek.

I won't go any further because I think you really should see this movie for what it is: a story that disrupts the timeline we all know by heart but manages to successfully put back eveything into place as it should be. Star Trek feels rejuvenated, IMHO.

THE COOL THINGS:
    - The dynamics between each other. A pure moment of bliss to see them interact. Pine does not impersonate the Shat, he is Kirk. I was bluffed! From the womanizer to the captaincy.
    - The ship. Oh my God, she's beautiful. And huge. Hell, even Engineering is as huge as a whole power plant! :eek:
    - Old Spock. Wow!
    - Pike. Damn, Greenwood was awesome. I liked the final scene where he was in a wheelchair (no beeps! :lol: ). His admiral uniform was veeeery reminiscent of both TWOK's turtle neck and TMP's white and grey suit.
    - Marc Okrand was once again consultant regarding the Romulan and Vulcan languages (end credits).

WHAT SUCKED MAJOR ASSES:
    It ended. :mad:

Stay until the end of the credits. You will not only hear the ping noise but also see to whom the movie is dedicated.

Note: There should have been a "Very Pleased" grade, btw. Just for shit and giggles!

15. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

we're all very, VERY pleased :D

16. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

I am really interested in opinions from those that had massive reservations about the canon being changed etc etc. What they thought of it, and if JJ abrams some felt were really destroying what they knew of Star Trek?

17. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Honestly, the canon could still happen. With the notable exception of the destruction of Vulcan.

18. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I loved it. The possibilities of the franchise now feel limitless. It was great to see the original crew on screen again. I cannot emphasize that enough.

19. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I had chills at the end of the movie, when Old Spock did his monologue! The last time I had chills during a Star Trek movie was with TUC, when Kirk did his final entry in the Captain's log.

20. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, I am on the verge of eating my vow to never see this thing, thanks to a free pass for tomorrow night's screening combined with a lecture on sales at my broadcasting class that I'd just as soon skip.

I suppose I can placate myself with the assurance that I still intend to never pay to see it.

Well, so long as you ignore the bit about how just about none of the characters are the same as we knew them, the technology is all different, yeah, one of the founding member worlds of Federation being reduced to potting soil is such a minor thing. :rolleyes: