Abrams turns Star Wars because of his "loyalty" to Trek

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by brian577, Dec 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

It's time for everyone to take a breather. Due to the frenetic pace at which posts are flying in, this is temporarily closed to let tempers cool and for me to see what needs to be addressed.

ETA:

1.) Accept the fact that there others who feel differently, so there's no point in being surprised when you post a minority opinion. Nor is there any point in piling on when someone clearly feels differently.

2.) It's getting far too personal in this thread. Lay off the digs and neo-insults. A topic like this is going to invite strong opinions, so it needs no help in being pushed towards the edge. Anymore of that and the infractions will start.

3.) Yeah, the topic. We're getting rather far away from discussing JJ Abrams and his decision to direct the next Star Wars film. An occasional example from others area films/shows/etc makes sense but let's keep it within reason.

ETA-2:
    4.) There is nothing wrong with expressing your opinions excitedly. But a little less of that and a little more control will go a long way towards keeping the thread open. Most folks are indeed doing just that. Just tryo to make it universal as best you can.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I've been watching Trek since 1975 and I think the new actors did reasonably well with the parts. :shrug:

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, Mark Lenard was particularly good at implying hidden emotional depths beneath the stoic facade.

Getting back OT, as for SW, I'm hoping for a little more swashbuckling and little less Jedi politics and mysticism. And an irreverent, Han Solo-esque rogue to take the piss out of the Force occasionally.

Here's hoping Abrams delivers . . . .

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The discussion

"The Vulcans are logical, rational, non emotional." - "No, they aren't, because Sarek and that dude and those children aren't."

is like

"Americans are gun crazed." - "No, they aren't, because Obama, my uncle, and my neighbor aren't."

5. BillJ

Problem is, that all the Vulcans we've seen are emotional to some degree.

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

One thing Vulcans certainly are is arrogant. They are all far more emotional than they realize. They are just too proud to admit it to themselves or others.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Vulcans were perfectly fine up until Enterprise and Abramstrek. Good thing I can ignore both.

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Specifically, it showed Kirk getting shot down because Uhura was dating Spock.

I always thought Uhura and Spock might have had a thing in the original series what with her lute playing for him.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Um, if we can't cite specific examples of how Vulcans behaved on the actual TV episodes, what other evidence is there?

Some abstract notion of what Vulcans are supposed to be?

But, anyway, Jedis, Vulcans . . . compare and contrast. Do we want to see Zachary Quinto playing a Jedi? What about Ben Cross?

(Desperately trying to stay on topic.)

10. BillJ

Which isn't the least bit true. The Vulcans from Enterprise/Star Trek 2009 fit in perfectly with those from TOS.

11. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm hope we get to see:

- Leia using The Force and/or a lightsaber.
    - Boba Fett out and about, having survived.
    - Black Sun
    - Luke in charge of the new Jedi council
    - Allusions to the events of the NJO series etc.
    - No Sith. Just Dark Jedi.
    - Imperial Remnant working for the good of the galaxy.
    - Mandalorians.
    - A generally respectful treatment of the EU

I'm hoping we don't see:

- LENS-FLARE.
    - Fucking shit trailer dialogue like "Buckle up!"
    - Another "Jedi falling to the dark-side" plot. It's dull now.
    - A new Han Solo type. It's a dull cliche and the EU has seen a billion Han Solo knock-offs because of it.
    - Ignorance of the EU entirely. Disrespectful to all the artists and fans who have expanded the universe beyond the Skywalker soap.

12. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope we don't. Leia with a lightsaber never sits right with me and Boba Fett died, regardless of what the EU says.

13. DalekJim

She's a rebel warrior we saw use blasters in the movies. Not a huge stretch for her to use a saber considering she's the daughter of The Chosen One? She's one of the most force-sensitive people in the galaxy.

The books bought him back ages ago.

14. BillJ

You do realize the vast majority of fans know nothing of the EU?

I hope it's set far enough after the original trilogy, that we don't see Luke, Leia or Han.

15. Shazam!

Not on-screen she isn't. ESB demonstrates some latent ability but having her on equal footing with Luke dilutes his character IMO.

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Actually, Marvel Comics brought him back in their first Post-RotJ issue.

17. Shazam!

Books, schmooks (schmucks?)

18. DalekJim

Debatable considering the sales of the video-games alone but it's irrelevant. I don't expect the films will require EU knowledge to understand but at least SOME effort should be made not to tread on the EU's toes. Otherwise it'll piss me off and I won't accept it. I'm not discounting years and years of my reading for a JJ Abrams movie.

19. Balrog

Balrog Commodore Commodore

^Maybe it will be an alternate timeline.

20. DalekJim

It won't because Abrams actually cares about Star Wars. It's why I'm vaguely optimistic about this despite dismissing STID utterly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.