Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by daedalus5, Sep 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daedalus5

daedalus5 Rear Admiral Moderator

The original ST:O thread was getting too big, so have created this new one. The original thread can be found here:

Original ST Online Thread

Enjoy!

2. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Awesome, so any new info on the F2P? Like what will be available to the free players? (Races, Classes, Missions, Etc) I'm sure they haven't gotten all of it figured out, but there might be some info out there.

3. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

4. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Ok, thanks, I'll have to keep an eye out for that.

5. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

thanks for opening the new thread, and you stickied it. nice. :)

6. mic of orion

mic of orion Commander Red Shirt

Guys, I'd like to do few Borg missions, who is in, come one ppl, Infection, Cure all wait for you brave souls.

BTW had funny encounter today, i ws waiting outside Siberian system looking for teammates for infection and there' was a team of KDF guys trying to get one more for their infection team, anyways I tried to join them, and one of them replied, But you are a Federation!?

I've replied, so what, are you some sort of racist to discriminate against the Federation:D (i know, i know kf and federation can't play same missions), it was just funny joke, and I thought to share it with you.

7. Timelord Victorious

Well, in a few days you can join them.

8. mic of orion

9. Darth Thanatos

Darth Thanatos Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I didn't complain about the merging because the (sub) forum is called "Trek gaming", not "Star Trek Online gaming", so flooding it with STO-related threads was not a good thing.

I, for one, also play STA2 Fleet Operations, which is also "trek gaming" and any thread about it belongs here.

Oh, and Mr. Trek, it is possible that in March, as the F2P STO will be going full swing, you will not be able to purchase a LTS anymore. Now or never.

I'm considering reactivating my account in November-December to make sure I get the benefits of a paying account, but I possibly will make a second free-to-play account.

10. Timelord Victorious

Possible but unlikely.
    Following the Champions modell, which STO will most likely do as close as possible, they will continue to sell liftime subs. You can still buy them even a year after CO went FTP.

11. Trek

Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As Timelord pointed out below, it looks like Cryptic are following the Champions Online model for free to play (which they suggested people look at if they wanted to see when STO f2p will be like). If that's the case then it shouldn't be a problem.

12. syberghost

syberghost Commander Red Shirt

STO official forums community moderator emeritus
    It may not be as close as people think, though. In particular, Dan's expressed that the CO model of restricting free players from skills won't work for STO. We'll know more tomorrow.

13. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

F2P details are now live:

http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p

All content, classes and default races accessible to both tiers, Foundry editor restricted to Gold, Silver has reduced inventory, bank, character, and BOff slots, limited access to chat, in-game mail, Vivox and forums.

No date for the changeover.

The thing that I think is likely to have people up in arms - KDF will not unlock for new players until level 25...

14. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I'm just crossing my fingers that the free to play doesn't cause huge problems. Wait and see I guess.

15. mic of orion

me ship innit!

[​IMG]

item question?

What are these boxes - cargo pallets/crates things? you get them when you play borg alert, what can i do with these? O yes and computer core fragments? any value in them, or should i just simply itch them for more space in my bank?

[​IMG]

16. Bird of Prey

Bird of Prey Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

From my understanding, as a Gold member, they give you a 400 point (C-store points?) allowance each month. As a current monthly subscriber, I will be automatically transitioned into a Gold member, meaning I can now buy items in the C-store without spending additional money. I guess that works as a reward for choosing to pay to play, on top of the unlimited access.

17. syberghost

The Klingon changes are... interesting. They say they're going to compress the existing Klingon play into those top levels, which should make Klingon PvE much more viable. However, this could all but eliminate low-level PvP.

18. Timelord Victorious

Rightlick the crates and pich equip to open then.

19. Timelord Victorious

FvF still works.

20. syberghost

But has never been very popular. It remains to be seen if this will change that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.