DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    Yep, I missed that link.
    I knew we had mentioned tracking her so that's why I did what I did.
    If I hadn't missed your link I still would've flipped through the issues, just figured I'd snag the pics as I was browsing. :)

However, having now seen the Batgirl issue is the fact that "Time Trapper" is an active and engaged part of the story significant in some way? Everywhere else she/he is just observing? Also, my question about the staff? Is that important or help add to anything to firm up it is the Time Trapper?

3. Admiral_Young

I really could care less about the Purple Lady. I expressed my thoughts on her as a plot device earlier in the thread. Everyone seems to be of the consensus that she is the Time Trapper redesigned. The second suggestion I've also seen is Kismet. I've suggested she could be one of the Monitors gone rogue.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2011
  4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Rouge? she clearly favors purple.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked Action #1 a lot, although I found parts of it a little confusing...or maybe just a little too convenient. My age, I guess. But it's a really good start.

As long as Morrison is lifting stuff from the early comics, like the wife-beating incident, he ought to do something with Superman trying to interfere with unscrupulous defense contractors. :lol:

6. Admiral_Young

@Dennis...what did you find confusing? I thought it was a pretty straight forward issue myself. Everyone was introduced from what we can assume is the primary and supporting cast. Morrison has said that more things will be revealed and made clear as we progress through the first year.

7. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. I know. I'm being me. ;)

8. Admiral_Young

9. Broccoli

But, seriously, I haven't read all the books (and I doubt I will), so I'm not sure. Has the relaunch ignored X-Men: The Last Stand?

10. Admiral_Young

^ Oh most definitely they have.

11. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I certainly hope that DC is not building up to crossover where we have to buy twenty different books a month to follow the story.

How many people have been the Time Trapper? I am familiar with Cosmic Boy and Superboy Prime (which was a ridiculous notion, IMO). Who else?

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I believe Glorith was.

13. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

To me the staff appears to be a discarded electric guitar that obstructs our view of her full figure. There's nothing there, visually, that suggests it's an object she's holding.

14. Admiral_Young

She appears to be wearing some kind of lame jacket suit along with her cloaked robe garb in one of those images. I'm pretty sure she's meant to fit into the next crossover which will probably be next summer.

15. Broccoli

You just know they are.

AND! It'll bring back teh OLD CONTINUITY!!!

:shifty:

16. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

17. Admiral_Young

^ The "New Earth" continuity. Or Post Infinite Crisis.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

I just skimmed some parts and really didn't follow the connection between GlenMorgan and Luthor's machinations, or how his demolishing a building connected with GlenMorgan dynamiting a subway train for Luthor's convenience. The suggestion, if that's what it was, that the city would bring the subway system to a halt on the word of an apparently itinerant twenty-something newspaper reporter. And some other things. I liked Peter Parker in his Clark Kent disguise, though. And the fact that he reports to Mister Taylor, who I guess is George Taylor of the Daily Star, which was the set-up in the very first Superman comics.

And Jimmy's cell phone does that "ZeeZeeZee" watch thing when it rings? And Luthor likes to suck down those awful energy drinks now, huh? :lol:

19. Broccoli

All of them, obviously.

20. Admiral Buzzkill

I don't know from "writing for the trades," but the way the first issue of Justice League is put together story-wise makes a lot of sense to me. Introducing these characters a couple at a time and establishing how their personalities and abilities complement and irritate one another, how they differ in their approaches and their self-images, how they help one another out and get in each other's way, seems to me a better way to draw someone into being interested in following them than throwing six characters at a new reader right away such that about the only thing the writer can do is line 'em up for a roll-call and a little supposed-to-be-clever banter while they fight something.

The idea that Batman and GL are naturally antipathetic to one another has struck me as really perceptive since it was first introduced, and I think some of the reasons it's so are laid out pretty plainly in this encounter.