Arrow - Season 2

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Oct 7, 2013.

1. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

This post was stream of consciousness, and I didn't get to Barry until I had already ended the sentence. That's really my only reason. :p

2. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They have invested a lot into Roy's character, right from the start showing him as a thug with a conscience, and last ep showing him making out with a hot blonde for the sole reason of pushing Thea away.

Roy is getting beaten up character-wise so that they can bring him up, not so they can throw him in the trash.

3. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love this show but it's getting ridiculous that Quinton hasn't put 2 and 2 together and figured out who Arrow is and now Laurel is sitting face to face with her sister and she doesn't recognize that chin? come on.

4. OdoWanKenobi

Yeah, really. He knows his daughter is the Canary, and is running around fighting crime with the Arrow. He also knows she's dating Oliver, whom he has suspected before, is the same height and build, and whose friggin phone rang right when he was calling the Arrow.

Laurel not recognizing Sara right in front of her was pretty ridiculous, too. Lampshading that was about the one thing I liked about the Green Lantern movie. "Hal, I've seen you naked. You don't think I would recognize you because I can't see your cheek bones?"

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

he's probably worked it out, and then said "no, that can't be true, no one would tell such pathetic lies, so it can't be true."

Lax, I didn't mean to say that that would happen, I was indicating what might have been going through Oliver's head when he decided that Roy was "unsafe" and what "unsafe" might mean.

6. LaxScrutiny

You never have to apologise to me, I owe you too many beers for all the clever stuff you post over the years.

7. Sketcher

Sketcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have a feeling by the end of the season it's gonna be revealed Detective Lance has known who the Arrow is for a while now.

8. OdoWanKenobi

Either he knows and hasn't said anything, or he's the worst detective ever.

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

He's not a detective though.

10. Guy Gardener

He was a detective who sucked so hard he was demoted back to a patrol officer.

It's possible that he is not legally allowed to detect anymore since his demotion?

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

It's a weird mix. On the one hand, Sarah and Oliver both went on a boat together and Sarah is a vigilante and Oliver came back at around the same time. On the other hand, Sarah learned to do what she does from the League of Assassins. Oliver, as far as Officer Lance knows, was alone on an island. He also didn't show any abilities to do any of this prior to getting shipwrecked, he passed a polygraph test, and has an alibi for at least one incident.

I certainly don't think he'd be surprised, but he might find the evidence too inconsistent (and that's assuming he's still thinking about it, he probably doesn't care anymore).

12. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Undoubtedly. Dresden can't be that stupid.

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It probably works like when your character looses a level in D&D. You just can't use the abilities you had from the lost level. Damn Mindflayers.

14. Guy Gardener

15. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Worse than Jim Gordon?

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I like that idea.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't think it'll be revealed this season unless he gets killed off (which is unlikely).

18. LaxScrutiny

Couple of true stories. I have friends at the gym, some of them I see daily for the past several years. They see me sweaty, in tank top and sweats, with running shoes. I ran into one while I was wearing a suit and glasses, and he didn't recognize me at all. Total "Clark Kent" effect.

Years ago when I was engaged, I generally wore grey or black t-shirt and construction pants and boots. My then fiancé (now ex-wife) walked right past me while I was standing in front of my house. The difference was I was wearing a bright red t-shirt, which completely threw her off.

The last couple of years I've been in a business program at university and often wear a suit for presentations. I walk past my neighbours whom I've known well for years and they have no idea who I am or why I would be waving to them.

Just changing from work boots to dress shoes changes my posture, height, and stride. A suit completely hides my physique. A change in clothing colour makes a big contrast with my hair colour and complexion. These are all examples of people who know me really well and see me daily, but don't recognize me when something is out of context.

It doesn't surprise me at all that Lance doesn't recognise Ollie, because his suspicion was based on Ollie and The Vigilante appearing in the city at the same time, not on appearance. I think it is being pushed to the edge of believability now because Ollie is connected to both Sara and Felicity, but Lance had to break his commitment to the idea and rationalize his "error." Now he has a commitment to the new idea.

With Sara and Laurel it's harder to believe, since Sara returns at the same time as Canary appears and Laurel would actually be where Lance was early in the first season. Laurel doesn't have a commitment to believing or not believing. I would have wanted them to play visually with Sara in those scenes, the way they generally had Ollie standing sideways, hiding his profile with the hood. Sara could have done that with bleach-blonde wig, letting the hair hang around her face more. A bit of obvious effort like that makes it easier to suspend disbelief.

19. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

But if Lance knew that Oliver is the Arrow would he feel compelled to arrest him?

Or has the fact that he's even called the arrow and knows that he's working with Sarah taken him beyond that point?

20. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

I think in the Huntress episode that's exactly what Sara is doing. Watch the conversation where they're crouched behind the desk. Sara's struggling not to look at her, but for the most part does a half decent job.

Also, Laurel acts like this was the first time she's met/heard of Canary. See the "Are you one of the good guy's?" remark. I don't think the Canary's getting the press The Vigilante did in the first season because 1) she's one of many masked characters the city's had to deal with so less news and 2) she's not a murder spree like how the vigilante started. Even Arrow is doing his best to not make the news these days. So Laurel has no reason to connect the return of Sara with the appearance of the Canary.