"James Bond 23" officially slated for 2012!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JacksonArcher, Jan 11, 2011.

1. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

I wonder if this'll be a lower-budget, more low-key Bond due to MGM's troubles.

Then again that would save the dodgy CG-something not noticeable in CR but definetly a problem in QOS.

Then again, a lower budget doesn't always work out for the series. Diamonds Are Forever, Live and Let Die and Man with the Golden Gun were kind of done cheaply and they're arguably the most dated Bond films. On the flip side, For Your Eyes Only is one of Roger Moore's more highly regarded films and it definetly had a lower-budget than Moonraker and Octopussy.

2. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Where was it noticeable in QOS?

I don't think budgets are going to be a problem with James Bond because unlike, say, Cowboys and Aliens, it's as close to a sure thing as anything in Hollywood. Some consider QOS the worst Bond film ever, but it still made more money than any of the others and Bonds continue to generate money on TV and DVD/BD sales for years.

Craig's Bonds are already low-key. I doubt we'll see them remaking Moonraker anytime soon.

Alex

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

QoS is far from being the worst Bond film ever, IMO. I don't recall much dodgy CG either?

4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Indeed. Doesn't Moonraker take that title?

5. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

I don't remember much CG in Moonraker. :p (But seriously, I would certainly say it's one of the worst Bond films - I can never make up my mind whether I think Moonraker or A View to a Kill is worse.)

6. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

AVtAK has one thing going for it: Walken. Even if it's the worse use of Walken in history, it's still Christopher freakin Walken.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A View To A Kill or Die Another Day. Moonraker, to me, is campy fun.

8. Faldor

Faldor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jumping out the plane stands out somewhat, unlike Moonraker which just kept throwing stunt guys out of planes until it had all the shots for the sequence.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

What the hell do people have against A View to A Kill and Moonraker?

10. CorporalClegg

They sucked?

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Actually if they adapted the original novel more closely it could be a damn fine movie.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I really like Moonraker, its dumb and fun. I mean. Bond...IN SPACE! Only Rog could have got away with that...

For me the worst Bond films are:

Thunderball: dullest Connery film (at least Diamonds was fun) the ending is limp and while I'm sure the underwater scenes were a huge technical undertaking, they get more than a little repetative)

AVTAK: It isn't dull, I'll give it that, but surrounding Rog with old people whilst making the villains ridiculously young just makes him seem even creakier. Walken would have made a better villain when he was older, and Tanya Roberts, worst Bond girl, EVER!

TWINE: Just so turgid, and frankly it lost me during the pre title sequence and never really got me back. On the face of it a speedboat chase up the Thames is cool, but it all feels so contrived, from Cigar girl sitting outside of MI6 headquarters, in a boat bristling with guns (which makes no sense whatsoever) to the fact Q just happened to have a speedboat ready, and the kicker; Brosnan adjusting his tie under water. It wants to be the St Petersberg tank chase so bad its painful. Add to this a woeful Bond girl (more European unknowns less Hollywood starlets please) a terrible henchman (I like Carlyle but he's woeful here) and some surprisngly dull set pieces (specifically the alpine scenes) and I just don't like it. Sophie Marceu is good however, and Q's farewell just brilliant, but that's about it.

Special mention for FYEO, which is an odd film. Sometimes I've watched it and been bored to tears, other times I've found myself really enjoying the pared down nature of it, it's probably the one 007 film I have no cast iron opinions of!

Of course I'm also one of only 15 people in the world who like QoS so what do I know :devil:

13. Bob Karo

Bob Karo Captain Captain

While I agree with you, I still have to say that Moonraker had a pretty good villain. Michael Lonsdale had some of the best one liners of the series. I can't really say I like either Moonraker or AVTAK, but both had some very fun antagonist.

Now TWINE and DAD.... :ack:

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a soft spot for The World is not Enough. I think the film would be better remembered if Denise Richards wasn't so horribly miscast.

15. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Worst Bond movies?

TMWTGG - stupid, but does have a career-best performance from Christopher Lee

AVTAK - Utterly utterly boring. Walken is having fun, but it would have been nice had they remembered that the audience is also supposed to have fun.

Personally, I love Moonraker (people who hate it tend to be diehard fans of the Fleming books, but I'm willing to accept two different Bond canons in different media, and while Moonraker may be rubbish Bond - I'd love to see a three or four episode BBC period drama serial of the original book - it's great summer cinema.) and TWINE (my favourite of the Brosnan Bonds). DAD is also great fun - annoying in places, but it's a fun anniversary runaround.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^I think you have to accept more than two different Bond canons, there's the books, then the grittier films, then the more fantastical films.

AVTAK does have a great title track at least. And yeah, I think DAD gets a lot of unfair critisism sometimes. To me it only really loses its way in the Antonov at the end. Forget the invisible car, whoever thought Toby Stephens should have an exo-suit should never work in Hollywood again!

Wonder if it's time for a favourite Bond films thread again :)

17. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That answer is easy: The Living Daylights.

18. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It's in my top three!

19. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. CorporalClegg

Eh.

I've never read a non-Felming novel. But I have read some of the Lincoln Rhyme line and was never as impressed with it as others are. That's not to say Purvis and Wade can't make something work.