American Horror Story (Season 4): Freak Show

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gryffindorian, Oct 8, 2014.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Who was the doctor, I wonder? They were intentionally careful not to show his face and I can't place the voice.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Dandy is such a psycho. He's about as bad ass as Quinto's Asylum villain.

3. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

Finn Wittrock has a great bum, nice and supple.

4. Gryffindorian

For the most part, tonight's episode was okay. The conversation between the twins Dot and Bette was quite emotional and served to strengthen their bond as truly inseparable sisters. It's a shame Jimmy doesn't feel the same way about Dot, though it's evident at this point his heart already belongs to Esmeralda.

I enjoyed seeing Dandy's naked ass. ;) The main problem this season is the lack of a real villain. Or you could say quite the opposite - the abundance of villains in the story. Once there was Twisty the Clown, but as sinister as he was, Edward Mordrake took his soul. Elsa, to some degree, has turned into a villain because of her jealousy and lofty ambitions, killing Ethel and doing whatever it takes to achieve fame and to get rid of people who stand in her way or threaten her. Stanley is just a charlatan with an elephant-size penis.

Only a few more episodes remain.

5. Gryffindorian

That was sad. Tonight's episode chronicled the tragic life of Pepper, shedding more light on the character and establishing the connection between Freakshow and Season 2's Asylum. It was good to see Lily Rabe reprise her role as Sister Mary Eunice, one of the nuns at the asylum where Pepper was admitted for a heinous crime she didn't commit. It would've been interesting to see Jessica Lange play a dual role both as Elsa Mars and Sister Jude. :lol: The Life Magazine front cover showed that Elsa did eventually find a successful career on television.

Mare Winningham appeared for the second time in the series, this time as Pepper's sister. The first time was as Kyle 's mom in Season 3, Coven. She sort of resembled a younger Kate Mulgrew on this episode. Must've been the hairstyle.

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Very moving episode. Poor Pepper. I forgot what happens to Pepper at the end of Asylum. Could someone remind me.

7. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Gryffindorian

Pepper must've been in her late 40s when she passed, which is the expected life expectancy of pinheads, according to Elsa Mars.

1936 - Elsa first came to the U.S. Assuming she found Pepper at an orphanage the same year, Pepper was said to be 18 years old.

1952 - Jupiter, FL. Pepper was around 34 years old.

1962 - Pepper was committed to the Briarcliff Manor Asylum for allegedly murdering her sister's baby. (Age 44)

1966 - Pepper passed away. (Age 48)

9. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

What a tragic end for Pepper...

:(

BTW: Here's what the actress, Naomi Grossman, really looks like...

[​IMG]

10. Gryffindorian

Neil Patrick Harris' character Chester is one deranged magician. He's totally obsessed with his puppet Marjorie, whom he treats and speaks to like a real person. I'm assuming Marjorie's manifestation (played by Jamie Brewer) is just a product of his schizophrenic mind. Whom is Chester going to kill???

Dell Toledo finally got what he deserved when Elsa found out what happened to Ma Petite. But the real bad guy who hasn't been caught is Stan, who even cut off Jimmy's hands for profit in a promise to hire him a lawyer.

11. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

I'm surprised Jimmy's still alive, why didn't Stanley kill him? He hacked his hands off and apparently didn't fear that anyone was going to stop him or ask too many questions. If the hospital staff and the police are fine with Jimmy losing his hands after a bit of barfing they shouldn't care too much that he died.

The other freaks would have assumed that it was the police like Dell immediately did, instead Jimmy's alive to tell people that Stanley has a way to get money by sellomg freak parts. I don't think that's something Stanley wants them to know.

12. Gryffindorian

Elsa and the freaks are bound to find out Stan was responsible for what happened to Ma Petite. It appears Esmeralda (Stan's partner in crime) is starting to come clean, especially when she showed Desiree the Museum of Curiosity, and it's only a matter of time before she tells Elsa what Stan is really up to.

13. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Lieutenant Commander

I got to say, this is one my favorite shows right now. I started watching it back in October. It took a while to get caught up on all seasons, but I finally did. So far I think Coven is the best season followed by Asylum. This season is good, but it hasn't been all that good until these last few episodes. I wish Lilly Rabe would be more present and hopefully we will see more of her next season.

I love Dandy he's so crazy and maniacal. It looks like he's ramping up the crazy and Chester is just completely out there. I can't wait to see how crazy it gets. It always gets real crazy towards the end. I do wonder if Even Peters will be in the following seasons since he's now involved in the X-Men movies and probably will want to do other movies.

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I just finished watching the most recent four episodes. Up until now, I felt that this season was the weak link in the series but it has really picked up. At this point the entire clown story at the beginning seems like a bit of a waste but I wouldn't be surprised if something about it comes back, even if only thematically, in the last couple of episodes.

15. 1001001

Fantastic.

NPH is great in this role. I think the show is in full psycho stride right now. Ma Petite is avenged!

I can't wait to see how it all ends.

:techman:

16. Gryffindorian

Horrible episode. There was too much carnage, and it only affirmed what I've been saying about the lack of good guys this season.

So the carnies got their revenge on Stan, who by the way is still alive but has been turned into the new "Meep." I almost didn't recognize him.

Next, you'd think Esmeralda/Maggie's character would be redeemed after she exposed Stan. Instead, there was no happy ending for her and Jimmy, who was disgusted with her when he found out her involvement with Stan. Then psycho Chester sawed her in half. :eek: I have a feeling Jimmy will end up with the twins.

What about the carnies? They were up in arms when they learned Elsa was the one who killed Ethel, in self-defense, I might add. You would think they'd be loyal to her after she took everyone in and looked after the flock. Nope, even Desiree and the Fat Lady, who haven't been there very long turned against Elsa, who fled before they could kill her. Dandy is now the carnival owner.

Some episodes feel like they were written by a 12-year-old with an overactive imagination. There aren't any characters to care about or root for like in previous seasons.

17. 1001001

I loved that episode!

:lol:

When Chester cut her in half, opened the box and her guts come spilling out..."Ta Da!"

:guffaw:

There are folks to root for. Jimmy being the main one. Maybe the twins too, although they did kill their mom, but she had it coming. The Strong Woman, the guy with all the tattoos (I can't remember his name).

I can't wait to see how it ends. I think this has been a great season (I know I'm in the minority here). I think only Asylum was better, but I've enjoyed all seasons.

18. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Another connection to Asylum with Hans Gruber. LOL

19. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed the second half of the season quite a bit. Isn't the carnival story basically over though? It seems to me the final episode will deal mainly with Elsa. For me the series goes from best season to worst: 2, 1, 4, 3.

20. Gryffindorian

Has anyone seen the Season 4 finale yet? :) I had it DVR'd and will be watching it this weekend.