-= The Project =-

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Madkoifish, Aug 30, 2014.

1. JES

JES Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry to hear that you're going to erase your youtube account. I guess I should watch all of your animations while I still can.

2. Madkoifish

Madkoifish Commander Red Shirt

Well I have not pulled everything just yet. I am leaving them up for now so people can get views in. I will wait to see if they back peddle this BS or what sort of drama it kicks up before moving forward. I doubt though with google's track record of late that it will be redacted. But as of this moment unless they revert it there will be NO new videos. I will not make them shorter or only upload sub 15min videos as I will nor participate at all if they continue to play games like this with users who really are making them profit by providing content.

Only reason I am considering deleting content is if there are any more GREAT IDEAS that will in the future lock me from control of my content such as applying this whole cel phone verification crap in order to do anything to my channel.

I am however considering if there are any ANON like proxy web based texting services I might be able to use. So if I can work that out the videos might return.

ANYHOW the update as I think people come here for the images and not to hear me drone on and complain. I decided to start excising some of the Kelvin influence that leaked into the v2 rebuild I did in 09. The current rebuild is the third the original design concept or model was from 06/07. Maybe I will upload a old v1 image if I run across them if there is interest. So I am removing a lot of that bridged bar support like shapes and just using a more TOS like flat panel look instead. I think it simplifies the shapes visually and does lend to scale better as the little things like the Phaser turrets stand out more making the hull show it's mass more.

KIM this is a pre TOS or PRE connie ship. Not by too much though. BUT remember this is not canon design based so it is not meant to fit in with known canon this is my own treatment to the ships. I think people forget this or do not read the comments to learn of this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to add this to this post via edit vs re-bumping the thread.

Not really part of this thread but I felt as I was working on it while the thread subject rendered well hell here ya go.

Now no guarantee I will ever model it though. I just had the shape or idea in my head and decided to put it to digital paint.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  3. Madkoifish

Had to take a break from the Lethe and had a go at blocking in that Marklin. First go is a rough in keeping the top profile. Instead of cutouts I tried some boxes on the saucer to house torps. I dunno the armament of the thing nor any measurements etc ATM I have it so that the saucer rim is one deck with some space above and below. So the total is like 244meters. I could go much smaller by thickening up the saucer.

I am only going by the top down image as it is the only thing near canon for this. The 3d model afaik is a fan interpretation. I have also ignored the little game figure I found online as I do not know it's source.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A lot of really rough spots here and there. Other ideas or takes on this would alter the top down some. Id like to taper the central hull more so that it comes to a crease vs a flat bottom. Angle the struts to be planar to those sides. Thicken the keel so the deflector could be placed between the nose and the saucer and a bunch of other things. All though pend on how it looks in 3d. GONE is the early idea of that butt bump being below the saucer. Im seeing it as being attached above.

I suspect that butt bump likely is impulse and a fly through dual door shuttle bay. I am only going to think of possibly one or the other. I am still unsure what the heck the black bit on the nose is a WINDOW (ew) weapons system? Torps? MEGA Phaser? Just paint?

4. Madkoifish

Updated refinements really did not change the top down short of removing those housings for the failpedos. Decided I will make those dark marks on the saucer or something else. I still like the idea of welding the deflector into the nose like the Bonaparte that showed up in SOTL. The nose torps though will be in a housing and not sticking out like a pair of snail nostrils.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Decided to relink the doodles I made public to remind people of the details I am thinking of adding.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will probably move this over to it's own thread once I start in on the major work as it wont likely fall in line with this thread's timeline.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2014
  5. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some really nice design stuff in this thread but I especially like the fact that you don't supersize your impulse engines...

6. JES

I can pretty much tell by the registry from the previous Lethe model that she is just a little bit before the Constitution class. Maybe a decade, but no more.

As always, your work is so awesome!

And I am absolutely thrilled that one of my designed served as an inspiration for one of your designs, even if said design isn't anything more than a doodle.
    Coming from someone like you, that is every bit as much a complement as taking the time to comment one of my designs!

And I am absolutely loving that you are giving a not-very-exposed design like the Marklin some love! It is every bit as great when this happen as when someone comes up with a totally new design!

7. Madkoifish

Putting this here as it really does not belong in the Marklin thread.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only posting major updates vs incremental for this project as I am attempting to fastrack this. Well fast as I can ATM.

8. JES

You put the impulse deflection crystal assembly at an angle.

Maybe I should try that one of these days, though I don't know how I'd be able to show that in Illustrator.

Fantastic work as always.

9. Madkoifish

The original intent was to have this represent the end of the warp core, the access point for ejection and repair/replacement etc. It would allow me to use the central part of the saucer core to place it but over time things just did not align anymore in profile so it sorta turned into the fusion core for the impulse drives. IE eyecandy glow ball.

In ill Id just depict something like that as it would appear in ortho an ellipse then use a gradient to show the face is not flat on to the viewer.

Finalized the secondary and collapsed it and started work integrating parts.

[​IMG]

10. Madkoifish

More proportion changes, so she has grown to 105.4m

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

I like this little ship a lot.

--Alex

12. JES

Oh, you changed where the phaser banks are mounted on the dorsal primary hull. And added the fore torpedo tubes.

Obvious action for me: add the torpedo tubes above the main sensor dome.

I like what you did better.

13. Madkoifish

There is no room for them below as it would blast off the saucer rim. >_> Also for those worried about bridge clearance they are a vertical rack system :p
    I probably could have gotten away with smaller tubes as TOS we never knew the size. But I erred on consistency across models over convenience.

I mostly shifted the phasers about because it got too cluttered up on the ship's dorsal. I will be removing that single aft phaser nipple though as it is really not needed anymore.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  14. JES

I meant IN the saucer rim, like what was usually shown in TOS. I personally believe that neck mounted torpedo tubes don't really become prevalent until after TOS, and I'd reflect that in my TOS-era designs and below. That is, if I make any designs from TOS and earlier.

And personally, I'd keep the aft single phaser bank for a better aft firing arc, seeing as how you don't have any dorsal phaser banks on the secondary hull.

That is, unless you have something more important in mind for that area?

15. Madkoifish

It is a moving object, firing arcs mean nothing. It isn't a slow moving large target. It does however have coverage with those 2 aft-wards nipples.

Saucer rim was the only other option but it would have made a mess of the rim profile.
    I have never seen torps on the RIM of the saucer in TOS. Torps originated from the saucer bottom in the same location as the phasers in canon. Some have speculated there were hatches or unseen details in the saucer ventral.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  16. Madkoifish

New sensor dome
    [​IMG]

17. JES

Yeah, that is what I meant. From around the same place that the Connie Enterprise also fired phasers. Whatever that is called, what the sensor dome is mounted on.

And it might be a fast moving object, but I'm thinking that having 3 aft dorsal phasers can't hurt, especially, if 1 or two of them, or the area around them gets damaged.
    Then again, that's just me. I love extra firepower, and I like redundancy. That and I've always liked that mounting on the Belknap/Decatur, and how that single phaser bank is mounted on the back of the neck.
    Kind of reminds me of what you did here.

18. Madkoifish

Did not even think about that, I just stuck it there because it looked better than having it on the secondary where the nacelles blocked most of the upper dorsal. IE it just made sense. That ship might have unconsciously influenced the neck shape in how it sticks out but it wasn't a conscious decision.
    ATM I am mostly concerned about it being too much relating to power drain, as the upper saucer already has 8 nipples on a 105m ship. So power to provide for those might not be there. I think the connie refit had 14 or 15 balls/nipples. (oh maybe more I forget if there is a quad array on the bottom or not. Have to look again) This thing would have 17 on a ship more than half the size. (close to 1/3rd) With a much smaller core and reactor. A/M, fusion. I am considering dumping one of the belly phasers as well since I have 2 down there.

mostly all fiddly bits atm so progress will likely slow up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  19. JES

Yeah, the refit does have 4 single phaser turrets on her belly.

And yeah, I have to admit that I never considered the power drain. That makes me ponder if they would just stay there as back-ups in case the other banks that have similar arcs get damaged/destroyed, or if Starfleet at the time wouldn't bother with redundant units, since I suppose they weren't as combat oriented as much later on, after encountering much tougher foes.

20. Madkoifish