Questions about Spock and other things

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Spockkirk, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Spockkirk

Spockkirk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1. How long did it take for Spock's katra to start effecting Dr. McCoy?

2. Why did Spock choose McCoy for his katra?

3. How long did Spock's body have to stay in that room until the decampstion took place?

4. Was Spock's face burned by the radiation?

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

These questions are probably more appropriate for the Movies I-X thread since they don't directly address the series.

Long enough that it didn't become obvious until "The Search for Spock".
    Possibly because he was the last obstacle before entering the chamber.
    We don't know how long it took to recover the body.
    I've not seen the film in over 20 years, but I think there was visible damage.

3. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

For question number 2, that's pretty much answered in Search for Spock.

Spock would've chosen to meld with Kirk, had Kirk been there. But he wasn't.
    McCoy was. And McCoy was really the only other "close friend" that Spock had, and the only one that Spock could trust with his Katra. He didn't have time to explain, and of course, as he said: did not have time to discuss the danger logically.

And as Kirk said: "If there was that much at stake, Spock would've found a way."

It was fortunate happenstance that McCoy was there. Spock could probably have entrusted Scotty, but he did not know Mr. Scott nearly as well as he knew Kirk and McCoy. And he wasn't about to entrust his Katra to Mr. Joe Random Crewmember. :D

Just my take on the matter. :)

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

1. How long did it take for Spock's katra to start effecting Dr. McCoy?
    He seemed fine on the bridge after Spock's funeral, his breaking into Spock's sealed quarters might have been the first manifestation of any compulsive behavior.

2. Why did Spock choose McCoy for his katra?

Spock realized that he likely was going to die, Bones was right there. Spock was never seen to do this before, but people change over the course of their lives. The importance of saving his Kantra might not have been a part of Spock's life prior to this time.

3. How long did Spock's body have to stay in that room until the decampstion took place?
    If the radiation kills all the bacteria in Spock's body, and any present in the room, then no decomposition would take place. Not until Spock was move back into an environment with bacteria. Whatever mortuary procedures and rights a Vulcan (or anyone) would receive prior to their funeral might also slow or prevent decomposition.

:)

5. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Moving to the proper forum.

6. Spockkirk

1. Was Spock's face burned from the radiation?

2. Why did McCoy try to do a neck pinch?

3. Do you think McCoy was aware he was speaking like Spock?

4. Do you think when Kirk's son died that McCoy was trying to comfort him or was it Spock's katra trying to comfort him?

7. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

yes
    the katra was manifesting itself
    probably not
    probably both

8. number1strat

number1strat Ensign Newbie

There was a cut scene in TSFS where Bones was unshaven and acting funny and remarked about not being able to get Spock out of his mind. I always took that as the first signs of carrying Spock's katra, even though the scene didn't make it to the final cut of the movie.

9. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, he was gnarled up pretty badly, though it's not as graphic because they made it a Vulcan greenish hue, instead of reddish human hue

10. Spockkirk

Do you think Spock was sad or scared when he was dying?

In the Naked time Spock told Kirk he was ashamed when he felt friendship for Kirk why is that and what did he mean?

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I feel like I'm taking an exam.

12. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

If I recall correctly, the novelization appeared to suggest so.

13. Spockkirk

I haven't got to read the book

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

1. Was Spock's face burned from the radiation?

Yes, but when Spock removed the cover there was (what appeared to be) a release of a high pressure gas, like steam, if this was of a high temperature then the burns on Spock's face might partially have been from scalding.

4. Do you think when Kirk's son died that McCoy was trying to comfort him or was it Spock's katra trying to comfort him?

Possibly a combination, however I feel it was primarily Bones.

In the Naked time Spock told Kirk he was ashamed when he felt friendship for Kirk why is that and what did he mean?

Vulcans have a cultural requirement to repress their emotions, it goes beyond simply not showing them. When Spock internally feels friendship towards Kirk, he personally experiences shame for doing so.

:)

15. Spockkirk

Is it because Spock feels its wrong to have humans as friends cause we have trouble with our emotions?

16. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

...indeed...you have 45 minutes...please begin...

Q. What is the molecular formula of Yominum Sulfide
    crystals?

Q. Who said, "Logic is the cement of our civilization
    with which we ascend from chaos using reason as our
    guide?"

Q. What significant legal precedent arose from the
    peace pact between Argus and Rigel IV?

Q. How do you feel?

:rommie:

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Q. Who said, "Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see"?

Q. When is a door not a door?

Q. Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I do not understand the question.

19. cgervasi

cgervasi Commander Red Shirt

Yes. He got a lethal dose, which causes burns and the so-called "walking dead" period in which the symptoms of radiation poisoning decrease but there is no hope for a cure. This period was very short b/c he got a huge dose.

He was experiencing anxiety associated with having Spock's katra, and he was desperately trying to find a way to recover Spock's body and find peace. When the police officer detained him, he wasn't thinking clearly and just wanted to go. His mixed mind attempted to use Spock's never pinch, but it didn't work because McCoy lacked the physical strength or the notion to use it but not the physical technique were manifesting in his mind.

He knows something is wrong with his mind, but he doesn't detect every time he manifests one of Spock's behaviors or voice patterns.

I always thought it was McCoy, but you raise a good question. He was like someone suffering from bipolar or schizophrenia. You never know when the behavioral anomalies will start.