Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old July 18 2014, 07:51 PM   #16
USS Intrepid
Commodore

Re: FedCon 2014, Star Trek Phase II and Axanar Panel Videos

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
Nick, do you know what Carlos is up to these days? I have been wondering what he has been doing after HF.
He's been working with JT writing and producing independent films. They're doing pretty well.

http://blueseraph.com/
Old July 18 2014, 09:04 PM   #17
tobiasrichter
Lieutenant

doubleohfive wrote: View Post

Gerrold has always been an egotistical blowhard and one-hit wonder. I am eagerly awaiting the day I can eat my own words on this, but he keeps letting me down.
On the occasions where I worked with Mr. Gerrold I have found him to be very intelligent, funny and a joy to work with.

Insulting anyone personally, no matter who he is, is or should be forbidden on this board.
Old July 22 2014, 01:38 AM   #18
PattyW
Commander

Send a message via AIM to PattyW

startrekphase2 wrote: View Post
Ryan Thomas Riddle wrote: View Post
I strongly disagree with David Gerrold's assertion that only him and D.C. Fontana are the only ones who really know how to write "Star Trek." Granted, both Gerrold and Fontana have the most intimate knowledge — yet, if you're a decent writer and you understand the format, you can write a pretty darn good Trek story.
You are not quoting him correctly.
http://youtu.be/8h6Q6gRBcqA?t=9m8s

He said: "I think there are probably only two people in the world left, who understand how to write for the original Star Trek, and the other one is Dorothy Fontana."
I'm pretty sure that both Norman Spinrad and George Clayton Johnson would strongly disagree with Mr. Gerrold. Both have approached Phase II about filming their scripts, but CBS nixed them because CBS owns those scripts and wanted to keep them available to use as plots for Pine/Quinto Trek.

(and, yes, I was involved personally with those "negotiations" between P2 and the authors, and CBS, so it's a statement of fact.)
Old July 22 2014, 03:48 AM   #19
RCAM
Lieutenant Commander

Dennis wrote: View Post
Maurice wrote: View Post
Gerrold has more credits on Trek than Norman Spinrad, but given the latter wrote "The Doomsday Machine" I'd say he knows how to write Trek at least as well as Gerrold.
Exactly so.

None of Gerrold's or Fontana's shows are in my top twenty favorites, so...
I should've clarified a bit — Gerrold did say he and Fontana were the only ones currently left who know how to write "Star Trek." Because Spinrad isn't around anymo— oh, wait.

Joking aside, "Blood and Fire" (PII version) demonstrated that Gerrold doesn't have the strongest grasp on the material, particularly the character of Kirk.
I must agree. "Blood and Fire" is among Phase II's weakest efforts (the idea that there was just too much good material to fit into a single episode is... amusing).
RCAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 05:21 AM   #20
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

RCAM wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post

Exactly so.

None of Gerrold's or Fontana's shows are in my top twenty favorites, so...
I should've clarified a bit — Gerrold did say he and Fontana were the only ones currently left who know how to write "Star Trek." Because Spinrad isn't around anymo— oh, wait.

Joking aside, "Blood and Fire" (PII version) demonstrated that Gerrold doesn't have the strongest grasp on the material, particularly the character of Kirk.
I must agree. "Blood and Fire" is among Phase II's weakest efforts (the idea that there was just too much good material to fit into a single episode is... amusing).
There's good stuff in the concept of "Blood and Fire", but the allegory is a bit out of date and could've used an update.

After waiting for years for a gay relationship in Trek, we're given something that is treated on a pedestal and not as a real relationship with all the complications and ugliness that entails. It's almost too perfect and comes across as something that would've fit within the 90s television notions of gay relationships.

The tension between the captain and the crew is brushed aside with Gerrold's ludicrous "band of brothers" familial ideal of the Trek crew. They're professionals, not a family, doing a job. Sure they like and respect each other, but they don't always see eye-to-eye. Uhura's statement that Kirk wouldn't put them in danger is antithetical to the actual show and the events in "Blood and Fire." Kirk was always putting the ship in danger — has been since WNMHGB. That's his job. After all, "risk is our business." Of course, Kirk is putting the ship in danger in B&F. Would've been nice had there been more objection, particularly from McCoy.

Other than lip service, we never get the sense that anything is at stake for Kirk — we never feel the weight of command upon him. In Gerrold's novel, it's made clear that the captain is committing career seppuku. And there's a wonderful moment where the Morethan character (Worf substitute) objects to what the captain is doing. It's a good ol' fashioned Mexican standoff. In the PII version, it's this jingoistic moment: "No, sir, you're Captain Kirk and can't do any wrong." It felt almost as if it was out of late-TNG, not TOS.

And the Klingons contribute NOTHING to the story, not even tension. They watch TV basically. They're also there for a battle that has no consequence, except as an excuse to damage the Big E in the beginning so as to ... I dunno what to the story. It never really plays out. You could've had tension and drama without them even being in it.

So much potential. Most of it wasted in that story. The novel, like I said, was so much better. I was engaged, anxious and couldn't stop reading. I wished they'd used that more as the template for the episode.
Old July 22 2014, 06:03 AM   #21
Maurice
Vice Admiral

USS Intrepid wrote: View Post
IIRC, Carlos Pedraza wrote the teleplay for Blood and Fire. I believe David made some edits, but I don't know who was responsible for exactly what.
As I recall from the conversation we had, Carlos said he turned the TNG script into a Phase II script, then Gerrold took it back and made it a two-parter. That's my recollection, anyway, and I don't know if any other writers got involved.

tobiasrichter wrote: View Post
Insulting anyone personally, no matter who he is, is or should be forbidden on this board.
Sadly, you can see that happening even to people in this thread. One can call people on the carpet for their decisions or their work, but making it personal is unnecessary.

There's good stuff in the concept of "Blood and Fire", but the allegory is a bit out of date and could've used an update.
I don't want to hash over that script again (we've done it before and elsewhere), other than to say I don't know how much is whose doing in B&F, but the script as filmed would fail the beat-sheet test hands down.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; July 22 2014 at 10:11 AM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2014, 08:59 AM   #22
startrekphase2
Ensign

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
Are there any download for these videos? I often cannot get a good enough connection for smooth streaming.
We are considering making downloadable versions available, if there is enough interest.

We have however, recently started a Vimeo channel and these videos can be seen there, too. Perhaps Vimeo will stream better for you, please let us know.

http://vimeo.com/channels/fedcon2014

http://vimeo.com/startrekphase2

Regards

Peter
www.startrekphase2.de
Old August 17 2014, 11:27 PM   #23
Atet
Cadet

I cannot wait for Star Trek: Axanar. It's looking very good.
Atet is offline   Reply With Quote