RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,589
Posts: 5,515,442
Members: 25,159
Currently online: 590
Newest member: Horizons96

TrekToday headlines

Two New Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Dec 26

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 7 2014, 02:24 AM   #106
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander
 
aalenfae's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

I think I had this in mind when I imagined rappelling.
__________________
A bold new Star Trek fan film thriller! PACIFIC 201
Pacific 201 on Facebook
My personal website
aalenfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 02:51 AM   #107
Borgminister
Moderator
 
Location: California
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

Just remember the transporter room is small... is the rest of the ship so huge that you'd have to have as a standard belt rapelling gear?

Looking great though as stated...
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 03:03 AM   #108
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander
 
aalenfae's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Just remember the transporter room is small... is the rest of the ship so huge that you'd have to have as a standard belt rapelling gear?

Looking great though as stated...
Haha, there's really no place on the ship that has a cross-section of more than five decks. But there might be times where it'd be useful to have something like that anyways - like working in a location where it might be easy to slip and fall. Or latching onto something so you don't get blown out if the hull depressurizes.
__________________
A bold new Star Trek fan film thriller! PACIFIC 201
Pacific 201 on Facebook
My personal website
aalenfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 06:07 AM   #109
Borgminister
Moderator
 
Location: California
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

aalenfae wrote: View Post
Borgminister wrote: View Post
Just remember the transporter room is small... is the rest of the ship so huge that you'd have to have as a standard belt rapelling gear?

Looking great though as stated...
Haha, there's really no place on the ship that has a cross-section of more than five decks. But there might be times where it'd be useful to have something like that anyways - like working in a location where it might be easy to slip and fall. Or latching onto something so you don't get blown out if the hull depressurizes.
Obviously very well thought through--anxiously await more reveals.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 07:04 AM   #110
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander
 
aalenfae's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

Borgminister wrote: View Post
aalenfae wrote: View Post
Borgminister wrote: View Post
Just remember the transporter room is small... is the rest of the ship so huge that you'd have to have as a standard belt rapelling gear?

Looking great though as stated...
Haha, there's really no place on the ship that has a cross-section of more than five decks. But there might be times where it'd be useful to have something like that anyways - like working in a location where it might be easy to slip and fall. Or latching onto something so you don't get blown out if the hull depressurizes.
Obviously very well thought through--anxiously await more reveals.
I just like to share what goes through my mind with this stuff. But at this point, it's all up in the air. Feedback is always appreciated!

And don't worry - more is coming soon!
__________________
A bold new Star Trek fan film thriller! PACIFIC 201
Pacific 201 on Facebook
My personal website
aalenfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 06:00 PM   #111
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander
 
aalenfae's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

Here's something new! A concept of a corridor aboard the Pacific!
__________________
A bold new Star Trek fan film thriller! PACIFIC 201
Pacific 201 on Facebook
My personal website
aalenfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 06:51 PM   #112
surak-toc
Commander
 
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

Looks good, cannot wait for more
surak-toc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 07:24 AM   #113
Borgminister
Moderator
 
Location: California
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

Very retro yet its own animal.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 08:00 AM   #114
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral
 
MauriceNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: Maurice in San Francisco
View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

Nice corridor. Not sure what the crossbars are for.

Is the giant red panel a red alert light?

A quick aside about that second item. It brings to mind the problem with practical and prominent alert type lights on sets.
  • It's one more continuity thing someone needs to make note of in all the shots where the ship is at alert. Since films are typically shot out of sequence, and sometimes shots within the same scene are shot at different times, this has to be carefully tracked and frequently fails to be (all the corridor alert lights in TTI had to be added in post, for instance).
  • The actual "beat rate" of the lights can introduce hiccups when editing different angles in the same set. Your ideal moment might be to cut away from a dramatic line in the middle of an alert flash, but the same light is OFF in the ideal start frame of the shot you're cutting to. Sometimes it can be realllllly noticable; as bad as a jump cut in fact.
As such, I recommend keeping such blinkers to a minimum on sets, as that will be one less think to worry about.
__________________
* * *
“Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.”
― Winston S. Churchill

Last edited by MauriceNavidad; August 13 2014 at 09:39 AM.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 09:20 AM   #115
Mage
Commodore
 
Mage's Avatar
 
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

Perhaps the crosbars are for using the corridors of the gravity goes out? Handhelds, so you can propel yourself forward?

I know, makes no sense, since without gravity, a slight push of the wall will set you in motion. But still....
__________________
Niner. Lurker. Browncoat.
Mage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2014, 05:22 PM   #116
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander
 
aalenfae's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

Maurice wrote: View Post
Nice corridor. Not sure what the crossbars are for.

Is the giant red panel a red alert light?

A quick aside about that second item. It brings to mind the problem with practical and prominent alert type lights on sets.
  • It's one more continuity thing someone needs to make note of in all the shots where the ship is at alert. Since films are typically shot out of sequence, and sometimes shots within the same scene are shot at different times, this has to be carefully tracked and frequently fails to be (all the corridor alert lights in TTI had to be added in post, for instance).
  • The actual "beat rate" of the lights can introduce hiccups when editing different angles in the same set. Your ideal moment might be to cut away from a dramatic line in the middle of an alert flash, but the same light is OFF in the ideal start frame of the shot you're cutting to. Sometimes it can be realllllly noticable; as bad as a jump cut in fact.
As such, I recommend keeping such blinkers to a minimum on sets, as that will be one less think to worry about.
Some really helpful feedback! It'll certainly be helpful to keep in mind for other things, but the red panel is actually an emergency cabinet that would have stuff like first aid gear and a fire extinguisher. The lack of detail in this concept doesn't make it clear that it's actually a door (as I didn't add a handle or hinges or anything).



Mage wrote: View Post
Perhaps the crosbars are for using the corridors of the gravity goes out? Handhelds, so you can propel yourself forward?

I know, makes no sense, since without gravity, a slight push of the wall will set you in motion. But still....
Yeah, the idea was that they'd be useful when the gravity went out. Even if you don't need them to push off, you'd need something to hold onto to keep you steady and reorient yourself.
But at any rate, the handlebars aren't set in stone yet. I might yet rearrange them. And when it comes time to actually build the set for real, things might get rearranged again!
__________________
A bold new Star Trek fan film thriller! PACIFIC 201
Pacific 201 on Facebook
My personal website
aalenfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2014, 04:12 PM   #117
BeatleJWOL
Captain
 
BeatleJWOL's Avatar
 
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

They could also be used as a ladder if you plan on having the ship vertical in atmosphere at some point.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2014, 03:03 AM   #118
starshipfan
Ensign
 
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

What you've done so far looks very nice. What you've done with the hand-held props (communicator, tricorder, padd), to make them look somewhat older and more primitive than TOS in an interesting choice. I've always thought that the TOS look, while good for its time, is very outdated even by today's tech. The movies tried to update it, then TNG tried again, and caused a current day graphic revolution which now makes TNG look a bit dated. So what's a good fan production to do?

I'm not trying to knock you, just waxing a bit philosophic on the whole issue. Good luck with your production.
starshipfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2014, 03:24 AM   #119
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander
 
aalenfae's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

starshipfan wrote: View Post
What you've done so far looks very nice. What you've done with the hand-held props (communicator, tricorder, padd), to make them look somewhat older and more primitive than TOS in an interesting choice. I've always thought that the TOS look, while good for its time, is very outdated even by today's tech. The movies tried to update it, then TNG tried again, and caused a current day graphic revolution which now makes TNG look a bit dated. So what's a good fan production to do?

I'm not trying to knock you, just waxing a bit philosophic on the whole issue. Good luck with your production.
Sure thing! Thanks for the feedback!
My general response to this sort of thing is understanding that what the tech DOES or how it WORKS can still be futuristic, even if it looks outdated.
For instance, the tube TV monitors in TOS are big and bulky compared to modern screens. We can easily rationalize this and say "The monitors in TOS have unlimited resolution and can display holographic images and other things modern display devices can't do (to which, while unsupported, there is no contradictory evidence in the show).

The same treatment can be given to tricorders, padds, communicators, and so on. And I have my own special plans to visually show how the tech is super-advanced, despite looking dated.
__________________
A bold new Star Trek fan film thriller! PACIFIC 201
Pacific 201 on Facebook
My personal website
aalenfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2014, 07:02 AM   #120
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander
 
aalenfae's Avatar
 
Location: Pennsylvania
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

Something new and (hopefully) exciting!

Mainly as an excuse to string together some test renders of the NCC-201 in motion... here's a very brief look at Pacific 201!

http://youtu.be/JZWn4f5BPHE
__________________
A bold new Star Trek fan film thriller! PACIFIC 201
Pacific 201 on Facebook
My personal website
aalenfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.