TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 28 2014, 10:33 PM   #91
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Re: 1966 Batman series on Blu-ray and DVD November 2014 discussion

Harvey wrote: View Post
Assuming the camera negatives weren't chopped up to make the syndication versions. That's what happened to I Love Lucy, although thankfully a few 16mm prints were discovered of the missing footage.

Fingers crossed, though.
Well Warner's has said that even the original network bumpers will be included.

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Batman-...V-Series/20098

(it's down at the bottom, just above the picture of the DVD & Blu-Ray box)
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2014, 01:24 AM   #92
Bad Bishop
Rear Admiral

Does the home video release of Batman mean that The Green Hornet is on the horizon?
Old August 11 2014, 11:16 PM   #93
Trevacious
Captain

I was reminded of another Ellison Batman story I read not too long ago in an old back-issue of Detective Comics. It was a pretty funny one. Batman goes out looking for trouble and just can't find any that isn't quickly handled without him, which makes for a miserable night.

Sto-Vo-Kory wrote: View Post
Cool news. Garcia Lopez is one of the all-time greats of comic illustration and any new work from him is a reason for high anticipation -- this project especially. His clean line-style always brings back fond memories of his packaging/design work on the Super Powers toy merchandise.
Yeah, if there was a single artist you wanted to model your universe of characters, he's the man for sure. Love his work, so classical and gorgeous, and he hasn't lost a bit of his touch.
Trevacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10 2014, 11:13 PM   #94
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

More details and reviews are starting this week! Finally.

As part of the run-up to next week's release of Batman: The Complete Series, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment have released a number of still photos from the classic Adam West TV series, as well as a split-screen demo that shows just how much crisper and clearer the remastered version looks as compared to the shabby transfers that have been in TV re-runs and circulating online for years.
Also
special features for the Blu-ray release, like the original Batgirlpilot and Burt Ward's screen test to play Robin.
The video comparison looks pretty good. I'm going to say it will be more like a revelation like in 2009 with Star Trek TOS on Blu-ray showing off the production values captured on 35mm film.
Batman: The Complete Series Split-Screen Sample Shows How Much Blu-ray Transfer Cleaned Up Footage
http://comicbook.com/2014/11/04/batm...s-how-much-bl/
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 12:20 AM   #95
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

1st review

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/item/b...e-tv-series-bd
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 02:28 AM   #96
Warped9
Admiral

I LOVED this series...when I was 7 in 1966.

When I was 11 four years later I and discovered serious Batman in the comics I could no longer stomach the series. It just made me cringe.

A few years ago I watched the theatrically relesed film on DVD and in parts I laughed...and cringed. I didn't feel any sense of nostalgia or fondness whatsoever.

I wouldn't pay any amount of money for this, and certainly not the extortion they appear to be charging.

The only thing I still like from the series: the Batmobile.
Old November 11 2014, 11:04 AM   #97
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I loved this series more when I got older. I didn't even get most of the humor when I was seven.

I'll wait to see if I get this for Christmas and if not I'll buy it myself in January. I'm psyched.
Old November 11 2014, 01:39 PM   #98
Christopher
Writer

My experience with the show parallels a lot of people's experience. When I was a kid, I took it seriously as a really cool superhero adventure show. When I was a teenager, I scoffed at how silly it was and was embarrassed that I'd ever watched it. But once I was an adult, I realized that it had been silly on purpose, that it had been a comedy all along with a lot of clever humor that had gone right over my head as a child. It's when you get to that point that you can truly appreciate the show.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 02:31 PM   #99
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

Christopher wrote: View Post
My experience with the show parallels a lot of people's experience. When I was a kid, I took it seriously as a really cool superhero adventure show. When I was a teenager, I scoffed at how silly it was and was embarrassed that I'd ever watched it. But once I was an adult, I realized that it had been silly on purpose, that it had been a comedy all along with a lot of clever humor that had gone right over my head as a child. It's when you get to that point that you can truly appreciate the show.
Same here. I have the movie on DVD and my eight year old and I enjoy it (albeit for rather different reasons ). I've ordered the set and it'll be a joint Christmas present (did the same with the finally available The Wonder Years for my daughter). Looking forward to some quality entertainment in the new year.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 03:37 PM   #100
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I guess I can dump my old 1" masters of this show now.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 04:15 PM   #101
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
As for Batman, I'd hope they'd sell individual seasons for more reasonable prices on Amazon. Buying The Complete Series of a show always seems like a rip off to me, besides the fact that its super expensive.
You can either buy this set as a normal DVD, or do without (Warner's not going to lessen the price for the Blu-Ray set, as this is a big deal people have been waiting for years to get-and now they've got it!) You can always buy a DVD recorder and record Batman '66 off of TV the next time it's on TV some place (in Canada, it's on Teletoon Retro.)

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I LOVED this series...when I was 7 in 1966.

When I was 11 four years later I and discovered serious Batman in the comics I could no longer stomach the series. It just made me cringe.

A few years ago I watched the theatrically released film on DVD and in parts I laughed...and cringed. I didn't feel any sense of nostalgia or fondness whatsoever.

I wouldn't pay any amount of money for this, and certainly not the extortion they appear to be charging.

The only thing I still like from the series: the Batmobile.
Agree with you on everything except the part about extortion; I think that considering how beloved (by some people) this show is, and the pedigree of the character, and the celebrating of the character's birthday this year, the turning of this show into a Blu-Ray DVD set with a ton of extras (including a replica of the car, which like you is the only thing I like about this show), this price is quite reasonable, and people will pay for it (especially those Baby Boomers that have all of the gear-HDTV set, Blu-Ray DVD player, Dolby/THX A/V unit, and big speakers-to watch the show on.)

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; November 11 2014 at 05:09 PM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 04:23 PM   #102
kirk55555
Commodore

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
As for Batman, I'd hope they'd sell individual seasons for more reasonable prices on Amazon. Buying The Complete Series of a show always seems like a rip off to me, besides the fact that its super expensive.
You can either buy this set as a normal DVD, or do without (Warner's not going to lessen the price for the Blu-Ray set, as this is a big deal people have been waiting for years to get-and now they've got it! You can always buy a DVD recorder and record Batman '66 off of TV the next time it's on TV some place (in Canada, it's on Teletoon Retro.)
Actually:

Batman Season 1 DVD set (Released Today):
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Season-...atman+season+1

Batman Season 2 Part 1 DVD Set (Due in February):
http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Second-...eason+2+part+1

So, if it goes like this, they'll release S2 Part 2 a few months after February, and probably do the same with Season 3 (although being half hour episodes, and possibly shorter, they might go for another full season release and not split it up like Season 2). Its just like what has been done with Power Rangers sets. The Full series gets a big release, then they start releasing individual seasons (or parts of seasons) every few months for people who can't afford the big set. If you can get the set, you get it all at once and before other people (and probably with exclusive extra features), but if you can't they still give you the option to get it all eventually.

Sure, the individual sets are only DVD, but I don't buy Blu Ray anyway
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 05:58 PM   #103
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^There are many that do, and this Blu-Ray DVD set is great for them.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11 2014, 06:07 PM   #104
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I gotta admit I thought this day would never come. I'm pleased to be proven wrong.
Old November 11 2014, 07:56 PM   #105
Agent Richard07
Retired

I went to the store to get mine and it wasn't on the shelf so I asked someone who worked there if they had it and the guy had to go into the back to get it. When I opened it up, there was no episode guide, so after confirming online that an episode guide did in fact come with it, I drove back to exchange it. An annoying inconvenience but at least I now have the series on Blu-ray.

I also ordered the 1966 movie on Blu-ray from amazon.com. I have it already on DVD but this was only $7.99 and it's nice to have it all on Blu-ray.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote