New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
A+ 0 0%
A 0 0%
A- 4 30.77%
B+ 0 0%
B 0 0%
B- 4 30.77%
C+ 1 7.69%
C 0 0%
C- 1 7.69%
D+ 0 0%
D 1 7.69%
D- 1 7.69%
F 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 27 2014, 04:03 AM   #16
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Re: LUCY - Grading & Discussion

They've got to stop hiring actresses who look like Scarlett Johannson to play "average" women.
Average in terms of who she is as a person and her intelligence, certainly not in the looks department.
Old July 27 2014, 04:09 AM   #17
Agent Richard07
Retired

Scarlett Johansson has a certain charm about her. That's what gets people's attention.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 11:08 AM   #18
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Scarlett Johansson has a certain charm about her. That's what gets people's attention.
Indeed. Really, were it not for her I don't think I could have stood this movie. My buddy thought she was a little bland in this movie, granting that that was what her character had become as she got smarter, and that made it hard to connect to her character.

Compare this to, again, "Limitless" where as Bradley Cooper gets smarter he also gets more charming and likable as a character.
Old July 27 2014, 04:44 PM   #19
Agent Richard07
Retired

^ Yeah, I was thinking about that. As much as I liked Johansson, I wasn't too keen on the clichéd stoicism that often accompanies mental advancement in movies and shows.
Old July 27 2014, 08:55 PM   #20
Mr Light
Admiral

Saw it today. It was pretty good but I was hoping there going to be more super-action in it. Also, when your heroine has god-like super powers and the bad guys are some drug dealers with guns... there's not a lot of drama or tension... I was hoping one of the bad guys would take the drugs to get powers too.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2014, 09:02 PM   #21
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Admiral2 wrote: View Post
I'm gonna go with: "At least it was better than Limitless."
I actually liked Limitless, and liked it more than this. But, like in this movie, a large number of the problems stems from the supposedly brilliant character making one big really bad decision causing all of the problems in the movie.

My problem with Limitless isn't the big bad decision. It's that up to that point he hadn't done anything with his superintelligence that he couldn't have done by just getting up off his ass and applying himself.

-Elsa on what she learned from Anna
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2014, 04:46 AM   #22
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I just saw the movie.

I don't know where Luc Besson got his inspiration but a lot of the movie seemed rooted in the buddhist concept of mindfulness (see jhana and arupajhana). Lucy starts off becoming keenly aware of her body and surroundings, is able to parse the world around her for progressively more detail, and in the end…

Mixed in of course is a lot of pseudoscience and dramatic license. Then there's the counting up to 100% that has a lot of people up in arms. I didn't mind it though (no pun intended). It served it's purpose as a measure of progress and Lucy even tried to debunk it a little. The debunking was poorly done, but at least they tried.

In the end, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It was great summer fun and you can't go wrong with Scarlett Johansson and Morgan Freeman. I think I prefer Limitless though. At least there, the main character got to have some fun with his newfound intelligence.
I don't know anything about Buddhism but watching the movie reminded me of Noah and I was thinking of the concept of the Alpha and the Omega as Lucy was everywhere as she went back to the beginning of time.
Old July 31 2014, 06:16 AM   #23
Agent Richard07
Retired

^ According to Buddhism, the development of the mind goes through several stages...

1. Your mind starts to focus and becomes more stable.

2. As your mind becomes more stable, you become more aware of your feelings and physical sensations. This is the point where you have access to your memories and imagination.

3. As mental stability progresses, you become an impartial observer of your thoughts and experiences. This is where you can view yourself and the world objectively.

4. With stable objectivity, you can see past your thoughts and experiences (your "self") and into how things work and fit together. This is supposed to be the stage where the nature of space (and time) can be seen for what it is. Same with consciousness and distinction. With distinction gone, you experience everything as a cohesive whole, 'the alpha and the omega', so to speak.

Lucy's journey was consistent with these stages and it looks like Besson threw in a bit of time travel as part of that last stage.
Old July 31 2014, 06:22 AM   #24
Agent Richard07
Retired

Looks like Admiral2 was onto something when he said that there was a bit of 2001 in there. Luc Besson had this to say...

- The Beginning is Leon: The Professional.

- The middle is Inception.

- The end is 2001: A Space Odyssey.
Link
Old August 11 2014, 09:57 PM   #25
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

It certainly had a lot of inspirations, but ended up being a mess ultimately.

Basically, we have all seen the story before in Star Trek's "Where man has gone before" where it was much better done.

The action scenes where good, seeing Johansson is a pleasure to watch in anything and the bad guy was doing the best he could with what he was given.

Personally, i have several alternate endings in my mind for this movie that make it a lot better.

For example, instead of making the cosmological USB dongle, Lucy dumps a black monolith on the moon...

Or, right before the final scene we cut back to that cell at the beginning where Lucy dies of the mother of all epileptic seizures with the whole movie being a gigantic drug induced trip, cause that's what 100% brain activity is: a big honkin' seizure.
And then a cut to Morgan Freeman totally debunking the 10% myth revealing the story as 90 minutes of trolling of pseudoscience freaks.
Timelord Victorious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 10:10 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

Timelord Victorious wrote: View Post
It certainly had a lot of inspirations, but ended up being a mess ultimately.
What bugs me is... in the past three weeks, we've had three #1 big-hit moneymaker movies -- Lucy, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Ninja Turtles -- and only one of them, GotG, is actually a good movie (although really lacking in the villain department). It no longer seems to matter whether a movie is any good -- people will see it anyway. Or at least, the target audience of adolescent males, the only demographic these big blockbusters seem to be catering to anymore, will see it anyway.

Basically, we have all seen the story before in Star Trek's "Where man has gone before" where it was much better done.
And The Outer Limits' "The Sixth Finger" a couple of years before that. And quite a few other works of film, TV, comics, literature, etc.

Or, right before the final scene we cut back to that cell at the beginning where Lucy dies of the mother of all epileptic seizures with the whole movie being a gigantic drug induced trip, cause that's what 100% brain activity is: a big honkin' seizure.
And then a cut to Morgan Freeman totally debunking the 10% myth revealing the story as 90 minutes of trolling of pseudoscience freaks.
Good one! I remember reading/seeing that pointed out somewhere, that actual 100% brain activity would be an extreme seizure. It would pretty much be neurological white noise.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2014, 10:55 PM   #27
Bisz
Rear Admiral

F.

I can not remember the last time I had this little fun watching a movie.

Rotten Tomatoes consensus says "Enthusiastic and silly, Lucy powers through the movie's logic gaps with cheesy thrills plus Scarlett Johansson's charm -- and mostly succeeds at it." and the movies is certified Fresh with a 65%.

The user rating is an abysmal 48%... but I figured that as per the critic consensus, a fast pace and Johansson would carry the picture.

Nope.

I did not find the movie fast paced at all, I was outright bored and couldn't wait for the thing to end. Likewise I did not find Johansson the least bit charming, which blows my mind because she's been great in everything else I have seen her in.

A real disappointment of a movie.
Old August 29 2014, 01:56 PM   #28
Tom
Rear Admiral

Scarjo did a movie recently called 'Under the skin' that's movie was pretty bad where she acted quiet and stoic like in this film. Lucy was ok, but definitely could have been better.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2014, 03:45 PM   #29
Locutus of Bored
Easy Raptor

^ That movie was awful. You know a movie has to be bad when naked ScarJo can't salvage it.

Bisz wrote: View Post
The user rating is an abysmal 48%
At 48% Rotten Tomatoes acquired mind control and brainwashed the critics.

Rotten Tomatoes consensus says... the movie is certified Fresh with a 65%.
At 65% Rotten Tomatoes blew my mind that such a shitty movie could be rated this high.

Can you imagine what Rotten Tomatoes will do when it reaches 100%?
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2014, 05:43 PM   #30
Tom
Rear Admiral

Locutus of Bored wrote: View Post
^ That movie was awful. You know a movie has to be bad when naked ScarJo can't salvage it.

Bisz wrote: View Post
The user rating is an abysmal 48%
At 48% Rotten Tomatoes acquired mind control and brainwashed the critics.

Rotten Tomatoes consensus says... the movie is certified Fresh with a 65%.
At 65% Rotten Tomatoes blew my mind that such a shitty movie could be rated this high.

Can you imagine what Rotten Tomatoes will do when it reaches 100%?
In 'Under The Skin' was that even her that was naked in the beginning? I suspect with the dark lighting it was a body double. I was hoping to see more of naked Scarjo as the film went on, instead you just got a bunch of naked dudes (her victims) instead.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote