Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 5 2014, 06:32 PM   #76
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Re: Yeoman Rand & Production order

Christopher wrote: View Post
The only character-based reason I've ever heard as a potential explanation for Rand's departure was that someone thought it was a bad idea to saddle Kirk with an ongoing love interest and wanted him free to have romances-of-the-week. This is plausible, considering that many TV love-interest characters in the '60s through the '90s were dropped for just that reason. But if that were a factor, it would mean that the character was dropped for becoming too prominent, too important to Kirk, rather than the reverse.
If that's why she was dropped, then it would be yet another indication that Star Trek wasn't really progressive: male characters got to be doctors, engineers, helmsmen, etc., but they couldn't conceive of Rand being anything other than the love interest of the lead male character.
Old August 6 2014, 06:41 AM   #77
Harvey
Admiral

So focusing on just those 11 episodes, the order of character significance seems to be: Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Rand, Sulu, Scott, Uhura -- although Scott and Uhura could be flipped if you go by number of appearances rather than story prominence.
Interestingly enough, the regulars during the first half of season one, were (from greatest pay to least) Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, Whitney, and Takei. Doohan was contracted as a recurring player and Nichols was a simple day player.

In other words, character significance seems to line up fairly close to contractual significance.

Carry on...

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 01:44 PM   #78
Marsden
Captain

It's ambiguous whether he said "Rand" or "Ryan." Some sources have called Paskey's character Ryan Leslie because of this.
I know one person's hearing isn't more definitive than another's, but my ears, and my closed caption, clearly heard "RAND" I'd accept that explanation if it wasn't Mr. Spock (Nimoy) that said it, but he spoke very clearly and didn't mush sylables together like someone else sometimes did.

I really wish they never put that huge wig on her head. Was Rand some kind of humanoid alien that carried her egg sac on her head? She had perfectly nice hair herself, I'm guessing after buying that monstrosity they saved on a hairdresser for the women, I think all three had wigs on.

We can take this one step further and play "Who is the Rand Replacement?"

She could have been in Galileo Seven instead of Mears, but I'd have a hard time seeing her be the same in that role. Mears was very minor, almost to be negligible. I certainly don't see her bunny hopping onto the floor when excited.

She could have been good in Court Martial replacing the personnel officer, but would that have worked? Janice was not the personnel officer, but I'm sure her duties could have expanded if the script needed to. Plus, what was Janice's rank? The personnel officer was an Ensign, so she had a rank, but no name.

She wouldn't really have much to do in Menagerie, but she could have fit.

I can't see her being kissy with Bones in Shore leave, but that could have been adjusted. But this is starting to be a problem, I didn't mention it in Court Martial just above, but Kirk was cuddling up to Shaw, and now he's got a "Ruth". If Rand felt the way she stated in Miri, what would that mean on a planet that reads your mind and builds you something? Would it have made her a Kirk that wasn't so married to his ship? I also wonder if those constructs work off of the planet, could Kirk have took Ruth back to the ship and kept her in the closet like Bud Bundy kept his "girlfriend" in his room?

I think she could have fit in The Squire of Gothos replacing Yeoman Teresa Ross, but her attitude would need to change to fit Rand, I don't see her being so chummy with Trelane like Ross was. These are all in my opinion, of course.

They didn't bring any women down to Landru's planet, or Janus IV, or Orgainia.

I don't know if we want to beat this horse all the way through the first season, but I'm not sure if she would have fit in many more. Maybe they were right to get rid of her, after all. I'm still unhappy with it, but I don't see that many that she would have fit in, certainly not without some adjustments, which may not be justified just to keep her there.
We've taken care of everything, the words you hear the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all and all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.

Last edited by Marsden; August 6 2014 at 02:13 PM.
Marsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 02:31 PM   #79
Christopher
Writer

Marsden wrote: View Post
We can take this one step further and play "Who is the Rand Replacement?"

She could have been in Galileo Seven instead of Mears, but I'd have a hard time seeing her be the same in that role. Mears was very minor, almost to be negligible. I certainly don't see her bunny hopping onto the floor when excited.

She could have been good in Court Martial replacing the personnel officer, but would that have worked? Janice was not the personnel officer, but I'm sure her duties could have expanded if the script needed to. Plus, what was Janice's rank? The personnel officer was an Ensign, so she had a rank, but no name.
I think you're overlooking how routinely scripts get rewritten. The dialogue after Rand was replaced was not the same as it would've been if she'd stuck around, because it was rewritten to accommodate whatever new characters were put in her place.

According to Memory Alpha, Rand was in the original "Galileo Seven" script. She was also going to be in "Dagger of the Mind," and the Helen Noel character was created to replace her there (interesting, considering that it was produced just before "Miri," one of her biggest episodes). She was going to be in "Shore Leave," and her scenes with Kirk were rewritten for McCoy when Barrows was put in her place. And we know that she was in Ellison's first draft of "City on the Edge of Forever."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2014, 03:39 PM   #80
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

The only character-based reason I've ever heard as a potential explanation for Rand's departure was that someone thought it was a bad idea to saddle Kirk with an ongoing love interest and wanted him free to have romances-of-the-week. This is plausible, considering that many TV love-interest characters in the '60s through the '90s were dropped for just that reason. But if that were a factor, it would mean that the character was dropped for becoming too prominent, too important to Kirk, rather than the reverse.
This was the reason I heard/read for many years until the substance abuse/sexual assault stories started appearing. I also think it seems the most likely. Who first put forth this reason? I think it was Roddenberry.

And, I always liked Rand's wig. It was otherworldly and "futuristic." When I was a kid, I thought it was her real hair, and wondered how they got it in that awesome basket weave!
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 01:42 AM   #81
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

T'Girl wrote: View Post
EnriqueH wrote: View Post

I didn't like the "captain, I'm scared..." moments for these characters.
We got one of those from Chekov in The Deadly Years. He screamed like a child and ran from the room.

Match the Chekov quote to the movie:

1. "WHAAAAAAAA!"
2: "Hwa...AAAAAAAAAAA!"
3: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

A. TMP
B. TWOK
C. TVH

Harvey wrote: View Post
So focusing on just those 11 episodes, the order of character significance seems to be: Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Rand, Sulu, Scott, Uhura -- although Scott and Uhura could be flipped if you go by number of appearances rather than story prominence.
Interestingly enough, the regulars during the first half of season one, were (from greatest pay to least) Shatner, Nimoy, Kelley, Whitney, and Takei. Doohan was contracted as a recurring player and Nichols was a simple day player.

In other words, character significance seems to line up fairly close to contractual significance.

Carry on...
Wasn't Doohan actually dismissed from the series early on only to be brought back?
Old August 7 2014, 04:33 AM   #82
Harvey
Admiral

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
Wasn't Doohan actually dismissed from the series early on only to be brought back?
At the risk of self-promotion, he was dismissed after the second pilot.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 04:36 AM   #83
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Go ahead and promote yourself, Harvey: you've earned it!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 04:39 AM   #84
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Ah, yes, I remember reading your article now. Thanks for that.

Makes me wonder if Biff Yeager got exactly the same letter two decades later on TNG.
Old August 7 2014, 11:42 AM   #85
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
We got one of those from Chekov in The Deadly Years. He screamed like a child and ran from the room.
Match the Chekov quote to the movie:

1. "WHAAAAAAAA!"
2: "Hwa...AAAAAAAAAAA!"
3: "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

A. TMP
B. TWOK
C. TVH
Screaming in fear, and crying out in pain, really aren't the same thing.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2014, 01:23 PM   #86
Marsden
Captain

I read your post, thanks Harvey!
We've taken care of everything, the words you hear the songs you sing, the pictures that give pleasure to your eyes. It's one for all and all for one, we work together common sons, never need to wonder how or why.
Old August 8 2014, 11:35 PM   #87
EnriqueH
Captain

I missed Rand. I wish she'd gotten a few more substantial appearances. I really liked her performances, especially in Miri (which is an episode that I'm not that crazy about and that I would rewatch strictly for Rand).

As for production order, I just now finished Patterns of Force.

Man, it's so rewarding to watch in production order.
EnriqueH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2014, 06:08 PM   #88
Marsden
Captain

Regarding production order vs airplay order:

Could you imagine Court Martial, ep 15 being written with Menagerie ep 16 in mind?

Key witness for the defence, Mr Spock.

Shaw: Mr. Spock, you are here to testify about Captain Kirk's command ability, but didn't you just recently steal the Enterprise and leave Captain Kirk behind at this very starbase?

I like both episodes, but I find that coincidence humorous.
Old August 19 2014, 11:02 PM   #89
EnriqueH
Captain

Yeah, I definitely noticed that recurring themes would sometimes come virtually back to back: courtroom drama, and parallel-Earth come to mind.

Still, I really enjoyed watching in production order. Everyone who is a member of this board MUST do it, at least once.
Old August 19 2014, 11:20 PM   #90
Christopher
Writer

EnriqueH wrote: View Post
Everyone who is a member of this board MUST do it, at least once.
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 11/16/14 including annotations for "The Caress of a Butterfly's Wing" and overview for DTI: The Collectors

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote