RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,061
Posts: 5,431,891
Members: 24,925
Currently online: 609
Newest member: dracopticon

TrekToday headlines

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 2 2014, 07:16 PM   #31
Nebusj
Rear Admiral
 
Nebusj's Avatar
 
View Nebusj's Twitter Profile
Re: Food cubes in TOS

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
I posted this in another thread, but then discovered that this one might actually be a better place for it, since it's food-related. Anyhow, here it is.

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
For instance, in Feek61's photo, I am again reminded about those ubiquitous coffee cups...
Are they painted styrofoam, with a strip of black border tape around the top edge? That seems like an awful lot of work for a mere cup. And they did it consistently throughout the series, I believe.
Why not just a cup? I don't mean one with 'no coffee, no workee' on it or anything, but just plain, simple, handled cups?


I think Wink of an Eye is the only episode in which the cups played a role in the plot.
Though … I want to say ``Where No Man Has Gone Before'' also shows cups close enough that you can faintly make out the UESPA logo. I'm sure that wasn't kept through the series but it's remarkable they went to such a slight detail in production. (I think ``The Cage'' did that too.)

(When did people start drinking coffee, anyway? I'm just thinking how long-lived a habit it would be if in Star Trek's time, they're still doing it.)
Coffee's recorded being drunk in England as far back as 1637, and it hit the country in a big way in the late 17th century; it and tea consumption just kept on rising. Coffeehouses started appearing in major western cities between 1650 and 1700 (about a century behind Constantinople, for what that's worth).

(Some people, going a little far, I think, have credited the Enlightenment as being essentially the time when western intellectuals shifted their most commonly consumed drug from the depressant of alcohol --- in beer --- to the stimulant of caffeine --- in coffee, tea, and chocolate, all of which hit western Europe about that time --- which offers the prospect of an amusing alternate history where instead of bringing in tea and coffee the merchant venturers bring back opium instead. I don't buy it, though, since history isn't that simple and besides this is also the era when gin really took off.)

Anyway, it's tougher to pin down just when coffee started since we get away from the very-well-documented western European intellectuals who wrote down all the stuff they were doing. Coffee was certainly being drunk in Egypt and the Arabian peninsula by 1511, when city officials in Mecca and Cairo issued bans on it. Coffeehouses seem to date to before 1500 in Mecca, but how much earlier I can't say and I don't know if anyone can.

(Tea can be traced back much longer, of course, since it had the good fortune to be noticed by Chinese aristocrats and so got written about at length.)
Nebusj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 07:55 PM   #32
Draculasaurus
Lieutenant Commander
 
Draculasaurus's Avatar
 
Re: Food cubes in TOS

Pondwater wrote: View Post
I think they would taste like MREs.
M'Ress? What do you think she tastes like?
Draculasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 08:00 PM   #33
Brown-Eyed Ghoul
Vice Admiral
 
Brown-Eyed Ghoul's Avatar
 
Location: scotpens
Re: Food cubes in TOS

Draculasaurus wrote: View Post
Pondwater wrote: View Post
I think they would taste like MREs.
M'Ress? What do you think she tastes like?
I'm not even going there . . .

I've never tried them but I've heard that the U.S. military's MREs are actually pretty good. At least they taste like real food.
__________________
“All the universe or nothingness. Which shall it be, Passworthy? Which shall it be?”
Brown-Eyed Ghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2014, 10:49 PM   #34
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: Food cubes in TOS

scotpens wrote: View Post
I've never tried them but I've heard that the U.S. military's MREs are actually pretty good. At least they taste like real food.
I have tried them, and they are .

I picked up a bunch a few years back, in case of power outages (which do happen here on occasion, and it gets a little tiresome to nibble on saltines throughout. You start to feel like a mouse in a cupboard. )

If my information is right, the services upgraded the military packs back in the 80's, Prior to that, I'm told the meals featured stuff like turnips, stewed prunes, things of that nature. I guess the guys were turning up their noses at those, so the newer ones feature "20th century foods", such as chicken, pasta and the like. I found them quite tasty.

The packs had an envelope of a powdered lime drink, which at first I kinda winced at the thought of, but it was quite good, too. All in all, a satisfying little meal!

Any of our brave fighting men present who care to chime in?
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 12:49 AM   #35
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Dead Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Food cubes in TOS

I had some MREs that they were giving away when we had bad extended power outages after a major storm a few years back. They're actually quite nifty. As I recall, each one came with:

Main course, in a pouch that could be cooked in the included water-activated heating sleeve--I never got them to heat very evenly, though. As noted, these could vary from things as diverse as pasta, chicken dishes, beef and noodles, beef stew, etc.;

A large cracker;

Peanut butter and cheese spreads;

Some sort of desert--varied between fig newtons and compressed pop tarts in the ones I got;

A powered drink mix--The ones I had alternated between Hawaiian Punch and something else, though I'm having trouble remembering what...might have been lemonade, Gatorade, or Tang...I know it wasn't lime;

Plastic fork;

Had to use my own water and knife...things any soldier would have on hand.

Also, the packaging tending to have nifty tips for soldiers regarding what you should eat first for energy and what to save for later, if you weren't able to eat it all in one sitting.
__________________
The Old Mixer, celebrating 50 years under our Fab Overlords.
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 01:40 AM   #36
Spocktoberfest
Captain
 
Spocktoberfest's Avatar
 
Location: Marsden is celebrating Vulcanian Style!
Re: Food cubes in TOS

Nebusj wrote: View Post
LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
I posted this in another thread, but then discovered that this one might actually be a better place for it, since it's food-related. Anyhow, here it is.

LMFAOschwarz wrote: View Post
For instance, in Feek61's photo, I am again reminded about those ubiquitous coffee cups...
Are they painted styrofoam, with a strip of black border tape around the top edge? That seems like an awful lot of work for a mere cup. And they did it consistently throughout the series, I believe.
Why not just a cup? I don't mean one with 'no coffee, no workee' on it or anything, but just plain, simple, handled cups?


I think Wink of an Eye is the only episode in which the cups played a role in the plot.
Though … I want to say ``Where No Man Has Gone Before'' also shows cups close enough that you can faintly make out the UESPA logo. I'm sure that wasn't kept through the series but it's remarkable they went to such a slight detail in production. (I think ``The Cage'' did that too.)

(When did people start drinking coffee, anyway? I'm just thinking how long-lived a habit it would be if in Star Trek's time, they're still doing it.)
Coffee's recorded being drunk in England as far back as 1637, and it hit the country in a big way in the late 17th century; it and tea consumption just kept on rising. Coffeehouses started appearing in major western cities between 1650 and 1700 (about a century behind Constantinople, for what that's worth).

(Some people, going a little far, I think, have credited the Enlightenment as being essentially the time when western intellectuals shifted their most commonly consumed drug from the depressant of alcohol --- in beer --- to the stimulant of caffeine --- in coffee, tea, and chocolate, all of which hit western Europe about that time --- which offers the prospect of an amusing alternate history where instead of bringing in tea and coffee the merchant venturers bring back opium instead. I don't buy it, though, since history isn't that simple and besides this is also the era when gin really took off.)

Anyway, it's tougher to pin down just when coffee started since we get away from the very-well-documented western European intellectuals who wrote down all the stuff they were doing. Coffee was certainly being drunk in Egypt and the Arabian peninsula by 1511, when city officials in Mecca and Cairo issued bans on it. Coffeehouses seem to date to before 1500 in Mecca, but how much earlier I can't say and I don't know if anyone can.

(Tea can be traced back much longer, of course, since it had the good fortune to be noticed by Chinese aristocrats and so got written about at length.)

Not saying your wrong, but the reason coffee might have helped is before it's introduction, people just drank beer, not for preference but because the alcohol killed the diseases. Heating the water to make coffee also killed the microbes, but didn't get you drunk, people would be in an alcoholic buzz all day with nothing else safe to drink. In some places at least.

And I did see a stamp on the coffee cup when Mitchell says "I'm thirsty." and it floats over to give him a drink.
__________________
Captain, logic dictates we get drunker than a Denebian slime devil
Spocktoberfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 08:34 PM   #37
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: Food cubes in TOS

Melakon wrote: View Post
They probably taste like crap, like actual products like Tang and Space Food Sticks, based on food made for astronauts during the 1960s.
Now I loved those space food sticks. Tootsie rolls were more like wax than they were--if memory serves.

I think they still make them
http://www.spacefoodsticks.com/
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 08:42 PM   #38
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: Food cubes in TOS

publiusr wrote: View Post
Melakon wrote: View Post
They probably taste like crap, like actual products like Tang and Space Food Sticks, based on food made for astronauts during the 1960s.
Now I loved those space food sticks. Tootsie rolls were more like wax than they were--if memory serves.
Memory serves. Those Tootsie Rolls were godawful.
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 08:52 PM   #39
Dr. Sevrin
Vice Admiral
 
Dr. Sevrin's Avatar
 
Location: Melakon's grave
Re: Food cubes in TOS

The guy I was named after (not Melakon) was a doctor friend of dad's during WWII. Besides sending a U.S. Savings Bond every month, he signed me up to some science kit thing where a little blue box arrived every month, each devoted to something, like geology, optics, sound, etc. One month had genuine K-rations in it. They were awful, like a graham cracker made out of Rye-Krisp and as flavorful as cardboard.
__________________
Dr. Sevrin is insane.
Dr. Sevrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2014, 10:06 PM   #40
Elvira
Vice Admiral
 
Elvira's Avatar
 
Location: t'girl
Re: Food cubes in TOS

The food cubes on TOS always remind me of the stuff in Campbell's vegetable beef soup.

White cubes, orange cubes, brown cubes. Except bigger.

__________________
.
no mere mortal can resist the evil of the thriller
Elvira is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 4 2014, 12:31 AM   #41
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain
 
LMFAOschwarz's Avatar
 
Re: Food cubes in TOS

Nebusj wrote: View Post
Though … I want to say ``Where No Man Has Gone Before'' also shows cups close enough that you can faintly make out the UESPA logo. I'm sure that wasn't kept through the series but it's remarkable they went to such a slight detail in production. (I think ``The Cage'' did that too.)
You're right. And since I happen to have a screen shot of that cup, and I'm sure it will never, ever be useful for anything again, here it is!



It's too bad that there were so few places on the bridge where you could actually set down a cup. The only place you could put one there is on the arm of Kirk's ever-spinning chair!
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2014, 08:41 PM   #42
publiusr
Commodore
 
Re: Food cubes in TOS

I think we had nutra-cubes in high-school, or was that the French fries all pushed together...
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 09:54 PM   #43
Gremlin
Commander
 
Gremlin's Avatar
 
Location: ElimGarak.93-99
Re: Food cubes in TOS

I just saw the TOS episode 'The man trap'.
At some point, around 30 minutes, you can see that Kirk is eating food cubes, on the bridge.

I am wondering what he was eating for real, because to me those food cubes do not look tasteful. It reminds me of green oasis (floral foam).
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2014, 10:05 PM   #44
Creepy Critter
Admiral
 
Creepy Critter's Avatar
 
Location: Kentucky
Re: Food cubes in TOS

ElimGarak.93-99 wrote: View Post
I just saw the TOS episode 'The man trap'.
At some point, around 30 minutes, you can see that Kirk is eating food cubes, on the bridge.

I am wondering what he was eating for real, because to me those food cubes do not look tasteful. It reminds me of green oasis (floral foam).
screencap
__________________
CorporalCaptain
Creepy Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2014, 03:38 AM   #45
Push The Button
Captain
 
Push The Button's Avatar
 
Location: Smithfield, Rhode Island USA
Re: Food cubes in TOS

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
ElimGarak.93-99 wrote: View Post
I just saw the TOS episode 'The man trap'.
At some point, around 30 minutes, you can see that Kirk is eating food cubes, on the bridge.

I am wondering what he was eating for real, because to me those food cubes do not look tasteful. It reminds me of green oasis (floral foam).
screencap
That's just Shatner chewing the scenery.
(rimshot)
__________________
Let's make sure history never forgets...
the name...
Enterprise
Push The Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.